The title is misleading but other things are in there.

uscitizen

Villified User
House passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices
Tue May 20, 2008 2:27pm EDT

By Tom Doggett

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved legislation on Tuesday allowing the Justice Department to sue OPEC members for limiting oil supplies and working together to set crude prices, but the White House threatened to veto the measure.

The bill would subject OPEC oil producers, including Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela, to the same antitrust laws that U.S. companies must follow.

The measure passed in a 324-84 vote, a big enough margin to override a presidential veto.

The legislation also creates a Justice Department task force to aggressively investigate gasoline price gouging and energy market manipulation.

"This bill guarantees that oil prices will reflect supply and demand economic rules, instead of wildly speculative and perhaps illegal activities," said Democratic Rep. Steve Kagen of Wisconsin, who sponsored the legislation.

The lawmaker said Americans "are at the mercy" of OPEC for how much they pay for gasoline, which this week hit a record average of $3.79 a gallon.

The White House opposes the bill, saying that targeting OPEC investment in the United States as a source for damage awards "would likely spur retaliatory action against American interests in those countries and lead to a reduction in oil available to U.S. refiners."

The administration said less oil going to refineries would limit available gasoline supplies and raise fuel prices.

Foreign investment in U.S. oil infrastructure has declined in the last decade. But the state-owned oil companies of several OPEC nations are owners of U.S. refineries, and those investments could be affected if the legislation becomes law, said Arlington, Virginia-based FBR Capital Markets Corp.

The bill also requires the Government Accountability Office to carryout a study on the effects of prior oil company mergers on energy prices.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSWAT00953020080520?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Suing OPEC is stupit but some of the other stuff ???

Instead of friggin drilling for our own oil that we know we have here, the stinking lawyers who are politicians, and environmentalist who own our government, hook up to sue somebody..

Pathetic

Instead of friggin drilling for our own oil that we know we have here, the stinking lawyers who are politicians, and environmentalist who own our government, hook up to sue somebody..

Pathetic

You don't think we should check corps to see if we are being ripped off ?
Of course they have our best interests at heart though, silly me.

You don't think we should check corps to see if we are being ripped off ?
Of course they have our best interests at heart though, silly me.

you know, you post a thread about oil, then you go off all over the place..

yeah imagine suing over hanging chad!.

and I'm sure OPEC countries are sitting in their palaces and shaking in their sandals of the threat of being sued..
more like cracking up from laughter..

Last edited:
Ohhh, well that is just a misleading title on the bill, it is much more than that. but the suing OPRC thing is stupid as I said.
Some of the rest of it has possibilities.

Ohhh, well that is just a misleading title on the bill, it is much more than that. but the suing OPRC thing is stupid as I said.
Some of the rest of it has possibilities.

Your're right, I didn't read the whole bill, I will.

LOL.

What are we supposed to do about OPEC? I hate em just as much as the next guy, but they're sovereign nations. Without an invasion, our suites would be laughed off and they'd just raise the price more in retaliation.

Back