The US is no longer able to tell between fantasy and reality.

uscitizen

Villified User
US Military Tells Jack Bauer: Cut Out the Torture Scenes ... or Else!
By Andrew Buncombe
The Independent UK

Tuesday 13 February 2007

In the hugely popular television series 24, federal agent Jack Bauer always gets his man, even if he has to play a little rough. Suffocating, electrocuting or drugging a suspect is all in a day's work. As Bauer - played by the Emmy Award winner Kiefer Sutherland - tells one baddie: " You are going to tell me what I want to know - it's just a matter of how much you want it to hurt."

But while 24 draws millions of viewers, it appears some people are becoming a little squeamish. The US military has appealed to the producers of 24 to tone down the torture scenes because of the impact they are having both on troops in the field and America's reputation abroad. Forget about Abu Ghraib, forget about Guantanamo Bay, forget even that the White House has authorised interrogation techniques that some classify as torture, that damned Jack Bauer is giving us a bad name.

The United States Military Academy at West Point yesterday confirmed that Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan recently travelled to California to meet producers of the show, broadcast on the Fox channel. He told them that promoting illegal behaviour in the series - apparently hugely popular among the US military - was having a damaging effect on young troops.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/021407F.shtml

"USC.. do you think we could have fought WW2 effectively under todays media scrutiny?"

I'll answer that.... a resounding NO.

We would have been forced to withdraw June 7th, 1944.

"USC.. do you think we could have fought WW2 effectively under todays media scrutiny?"

I'll answer that.... a resounding NO.

We would have been forced to withdraw June 7th, 1944.

Baloney. You don't understand the american people, if you think that.

When there is a legitimate reason to fight in our self-defense, and the reason for war is self-evident the american people will stick with it. You don't see hardly anyone wanting to abandon afghanistan, do you? The reason for fighting there was justified and self evident.

US Military Tells Jack Bauer: Cut Out the Torture Scenes ... or Else!
By Andrew Buncombe
The Independent UK

Tuesday 13 February 2007

In the hugely popular television series 24, federal agent Jack Bauer always gets his man, even if he has to play a little rough. Suffocating, electrocuting or drugging a suspect is all in a day's work. As Bauer - played by the Emmy Award winner Kiefer Sutherland - tells one baddie: " You are going to tell me what I want to know - it's just a matter of how much you want it to hurt."

But while 24 draws millions of viewers, it appears some people are becoming a little squeamish. The US military has appealed to the producers of 24 to tone down the torture scenes because of the impact they are having both on troops in the field and America's reputation abroad. Forget about Abu Ghraib, forget about Guantanamo Bay, forget even that the White House has authorised interrogation techniques that some classify as torture, that damned Jack Bauer is giving us a bad name.

The United States Military Academy at West Point yesterday confirmed that Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan recently travelled to California to meet producers of the show, broadcast on the Fox channel. He told them that promoting illegal behaviour in the series - apparently hugely popular among the US military - was having a damaging effect on young troops.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/021407F.shtml

I find it interesting that, apparently, our soldiers are allowing a fictional television character to affect their behavior. I know that we have to worry about this with small children, and they shouldn't be allowed to watch "jackass", but I had no idea that our soldiers had to have their tv viewing habits monitored by adults. Perhaps the military should invest in a shit-load of v-chips.

I think some of the acts that occurred during WWII might be put under scrutiny, the US internment of Japanese-Americans and the British internment of refugees from Europe for example.

There are, however, clear differences between the two wars, as Cypruss said, the main being that of legitimacy. By the time the US joined WWII the nature of the Nazi regime, and its capabilities were clear. (there is no comparison between the threat and capability of SH's Iraq and the Nazis)

I find it interesting that, apparently, our soldiers are allowing a fictional television character to affect their behavior. I know that we have to worry about this with small children, and they shouldn't be allowed to watch "jackass", but I had no idea that our soldiers had to have their tv viewing habits monitored by adults. Perhaps the military should invest in a shit-load of v-chips.

Why are they worried about it ? They have Rush on armed forces radio to debunk all the liberal garbage anyway :rolleyes:

USC.. do you think we could have fought WW2 effectively under todays media scrutiny?

Totally different situations and generations. There is little comparison.

Klaatu, could we have fought this war as long as we have without the media control the administrations has had this war ? I don't think without the media, and all it's 911 attention that Bush could not have gotten us into this war.

Back