This is what I didn't buy this year, and it pisses me off.

View attachment 30372
Spinal stenosis saved me four grand but cost me a summer's worth of fun.
11 degree driver if too much. 10.5 is the most you should go for. If you can't get it in the air with a 10.5...use a 3 metal. Tee it a bit higher than ground level if you have to.

As for the driving iron...wow. I wouldn't even touch one. Interesting fact: Jack could hit a one-iron as high off the ground as a 6 or 7.

I have a 4 iron in my bag for shots I don't want to get more than two feet off the ground.

11 degree driver if too much. 10.5 is the most you should go for. If you can't get it in the air with a 10.5...use a 3 metal. Tee it a bit higher than ground level if you have to.

As for the driving iron...wow. I wouldn't even touch one. Interesting fact: Jack could hit a one-iron as high off the ground as a 6 or 7.

I have a 4 iron in my bag for shots I don't want to get more than two feet off the ground.
I didn't use a driver swing, Frank.
A driver swing is teeing the ball high,
playing the ball MORE forward than inside your left heel,
and hitting the ball slightly on the upswing.

I didn't like that special shot.
I teed the ball low, played it inside my left heel,
and hit it like a fairway wood shot, something at which I was good.
Thus, to get the desired launch angle, I required a touch more loft.
Plus, I didn't cast over the top at all.
I had a flatter, inside-out draw swing which also didn't like low loft drivers.

As for the driving iron, people our age imagine the 1 or 2-iron of old, practically a butter knife blade.
Great for Hogan or Jack, obviously not us!!!

The modern driving iron is hollow,
with carefully placed tungsten weighting inside to lower the center of gravity
and increase the moment of inertia.
It's a one-trick pony specialty club for scary tight driving holes.

467573-Mark-Twain-Quote-Golf-is-a-good-walk-spoiled.jpg

Not really.
I rode a golf cart when I played.
I was a walker...carrying my bag. Until, at about age 60, when I got a job as a starter at a golf course...which gave me access to 5 quality courses FREE...with a golf cart. Then the walk got left behind.

By the way...when I was a walker, my regular partner and I used to walk/carry bag...54 holes. Did that at least once each week.

Them were da days, my friend. Dem were da days.

Gonna play today, Nifty. It is going to be over 60 for most of the round, because we are not going off until 8:30. Normally I am part of the 7:00 start, but the mornings are getting cooler...and my hands react poorly. When cold, they actually feel like they are on fire. And they get cold no matter that I use hand-warmers.

Back