thorn

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
Hey Thorn,

Okay, so the puppy is sitting and is definitely starting to take to being house broken but we're having two problems:

1) She howls non stop when she's in her crate
2) She jumps up on us all the time. How do we stop both of those?

I hate crates.

The jumping thing you handle just like everything else. Say down and put your hand out in front of you so she can not jump up. Do this until she learns what down means. Like anything else she will learn you just have to both be consistant about it. When she gets down reward her with petting. She is just happy to see you and doesnt yet knwo the rules of greeting you.

I know you didnt ask me but I thought I would add my two cents.

I know crating is what some people Have to do .

I hate crates.

The jumping thing you handle just like everything else. Say down and put your hand out in front of you so she can not jump up. Do this until she learns what down means. Like anything else she will learn you just have to both be consistant about it. When she gets down reward her with petting. She is just happy to see you and doesnt yet knwo the rules of greeting you.

I know you didnt ask me but I thought I would add my two cents.

I know crating is what some people Have to do .

She just found a new home today! The family adores her.

I'm glad for her finding a home, but I'll answer your questions anyway.

I didn't crate my guys at home (poor babies sleep on the bed and have a luxurious suite while we're at work). When we started Agility classes, though, I had to take them together because their classes are back-to-back, so one was crated at the class while the other did his thing. Rory, my Aussie, is now 2 1/2 (last month) and has been in a crate a couple of times. Talkative non-stop most of the time, he didn't make a peep during the whole hour and still doesn't. Barley, my Border Collie (1 1/2 yrs. old yesterday) had never been confined except when I brought him home (he was amazing on that trip, too!). He realized what was going on and howled the whole time. The first couple of weeks we put the crate in another room and closed the door for the hour. The third week my instructor went in and told him firmly (I'm sure!) to be quiet. After that, I still have some problems getting him in, though I learned that throwing treats in works pretty well. Once in, though, he's quiet and now can stay in the classroom.

It just takes patience and repetition. I'd start with much shorter periods and just practice. He's anxious, doesn't understand what's going on or what you're going to do: abandon him? (a foster dog may have some abandonment experience, but it seems that that fear isn't confined to prior bad experiences!). When he realizes that you'll let him out but you require him to be quiet (don't let him out while he's being noisy!), and give him lots of hugs and treats when you let him out.

Desh had some good ideas about the jumping. I had this problem with Barley in particular. Also, when s/he starts to jump up, turn aside. He learned very quickly that there would be no rewards, including acceptance, for the jumping. It's nice that s/he's so happy to see us, but I've had a couple of fat/split lips from these greetings. Also saying "ow!" and turning aside seems to work, especially if you make a spectacle of nursing your "injury".

Again, I'm happy for the puppy that she has a good forever home, but sad that you had to give her up so soon. Maybe that was best. :(

Back