Tipping in Advance

cawacko

Random, but I just ordered a pizza online and they asked how much I wanted to tip. Isn't the idea of tipping to do so after you receive the service? I would tip the people anyway but asking for it upfront makes it feel like you have to do it or they'll spit on your food or something.

Yes, my jimmies are rustled.

When I was in college I worked pizza delivery. You received "x" amount for delivery that was added to the charge. Tip, if any, was left to the customer when you delivered but back then it was all on a cash basis. Most people didn't tip. Though there was several times where chicks answered the door wearing a pair of panties and would prick tease you for a few minutes before paying for the pizza.

Good nights those.

Random, but I just ordered a pizza online and they asked how much I wanted to tip. Isn't the idea of tipping to do so after you receive the service? I would tip the people anyway but asking for it upfront makes it feel like you have to do it or they'll spit on your food or something.

It's just a convenient thing if you're paying with a card online. You can still tip in cash or fill in the box on the receipt when it arrives.

yes i hate this. Also I feel bad because when the driver gets to me I worry he wont know I pre-tipped. I always feel awkward if I don't hand an actual tip to the person.

Did you ask them why they have this policy? Did the drivers get stiffed? Are they subject to being robbed?
If they can't come up with a good reason, I'd take my business elsewhere, if possible. A tip, at least to me, is a reward for good service. I tip a bunch when drivers/waiters etc go the extra mile. I tip very little when they don't try.

The idea of the tip is to support the income of the person being tipped. Tipping should be a mandatory part of the bill. Failing to tip should be considered the same as theft.

The idea of the tip is to support the income of the person being tipped. Tipping should be a mandatory part of the bill. Failing to tip should be considered the same as theft.

Absolutely disagree. I tip well. I tip everywhere ... even at Sonic where most folks around here forget to tip and convenience stores where the cashiers are surprised. But I reserve the right to withhold a tip for poor (and with me it has to be very poor) service.

I tip 20%+ no matter what. I feel like a huge petty asshole when I dont. Even if a waitress sucks or something... It's a couple of bucks. Unless they actually bitchslapped me or threw hot coffee right into my face, I tip.

Back