APP - Tolerance

Norah

Colossians 3:23
One of my favorite quotes about tolerance comes from Phil Robertson, it says this

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you have to agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

Do you think that our country is currently of the mindset that without total acceptance of something or someone's choices that you are a bigot? Sometimes it seems like tolerance is no longer acceptable but instead it's total acceptance that is expected unless you want to be labeled or condemned. For me personally I dont agree with certain lifestyles and choices but I tolerate it because this is America and everybody should be able to be themselves, but that doesn't mean that I accept it or that I should have to accept it in order to not be condemned, shunned, or labeled. For example I don't accept homosexuality as good or appropriate behavior but I do tolerate it without harassment or judgment but I just know that I wouldn't do something like that. With that belief I'm sure there are a lot of people that would call me a bigot even though I don't have any hate or I'll will towards a gay person, I just don't agree with the lifestyle.

That's one example but the main point I'm trying to make is more about tolerance and how it goes both ways.

One of my favorite quotes about tolerance comes from Phil Robertson, it says this

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you have to agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

Do you think that our country is currently of the mindset that without total acceptance of something or someone's choices that you are a bigot? Sometimes it seems like tolerance is no longer acceptable but instead it's total acceptance that is expected unless you want to be labeled or condemned. For me personally I dont agree with certain lifestyles and choices but I tolerate it because this is America and everybody should be able to be themselves, but that doesn't mean that I accept it or that I should have to accept it in order to not be condemned, shunned, or labeled. For example I don't accept homosexuality as good or appropriate behavior but I do tolerate it without harassment or judgment but I just know that I wouldn't do something like that. With that belief I'm sure there are a lot of people that would call me a bigot even though I don't have any hate or I'll will towards a gay person, I just don't agree with the lifestyle.

That's one example but the main point I'm trying to make is more about tolerance and how it goes both ways.

You raise great and valid points. You will notice that this behavior emanates predominantly from the left. To point out the damaging lifestyle that homosexuality is in a leftists mind is "bigotry". However, in their rush to condemn others, they merely highlight their own intolerance.

I do find that disagreeing with somebody tends to get you on the "phobia" labelwagon...

Those who disagree with gay marriage must be "homophobes"... However if you hate religious folks you aren't a Religiophobe... If you dislike the idea of some guy wearing a dress going into the restroom with your daughter you are a "Transgenderphobe" (or whatever) However if you shout down somebody you don't want to hear speak you are a "warrior for the first amendment"...

Actual tolerance means to be able to live with the fact that others disagree. You tolerate others' expression so that you can have the freedom to express your contrary ideas.

Back