Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 40th anniversary tour is on

Petty's most significant work
hardly. The Heartbreakers are enormosly talented. Mike Campbell's ability is vastly underrated.

But so is Benmont Tench on keys. Ron Blair and Steve Ferrone (bass & drums) are top quality session players
that became full integrated into the band
Tom's ability as a singer/songwriter has got to be up there with Dylan's -and their videos the most creative.

I spent my 20s heading banging to metal, and cranking hard rock to eleven. But you know what? Sometime in the last 20 years I realized just how enormous Petty's contribution to rock music has been. It could be argued, with some justification, that he and the Heartbreakers are the most iconic and enduring American Rock band of the last 40 years.

It is just unbelievable to me how many great tunes Petty has written, recorded, and produced.

I spent my 20s heading banging to metal, and cranking hard rock to eleven. But you know what? Sometime in the last 20 years I realized just how enormous Petty's contribution to rock music has been. It could be argued, with some justification, that he and the Heartbreakers are the most iconic and enduring American Rock band of the last 40 years.

It is just unbelievable to me how many great tunes Petty has written, recorded, and produced.
go to the show..get tix. you'll be amazed how tight they are as a band -even when they do jam.

It's completely different from a Dead concert.
Them boys are real musicians crafting a performance and not a jam band like the Dead

Sure, as long as you only go back 40 years.

go to the show..get tix. you'll be amazed how tight they are as a band -even when they do jam.

Them boys are real musicians crafting a performance and not a jam band like the Dead

The Dead are real musicians faggot.

Jerry Garcia was a top tier guitar player, and the Dead defy genres and categories, so I never even think of comparing them to "rock bands", aka The Heartbreakers, Guns and Roses, Creedance Clearwater. Having seen the Dead in concert , I can state unequivocally that they were excellent and creative musicians. I am of course biased.

With that necessary defense out of the way, I am a amateur guitar player, and I have always appreciated the level of musicianship of the Heartbreakers. Tight, clean, and vigorous. Mike Campbell plays excellent guitar, without unnecessary notes and flourish. It takes a surprising amount of ability to make four chord songs sound that great.

Jerry Garcia was a top tier guitar player, and the Dead defy genres and categories, so I never even think of comparing them to "rock bands", aka The Heartbreakers, Guns and Roses, Creedance Clearwater. Having seen the Dead in concert , I can state unequivocally that they were excellent and creative musicians. I am of course biased.

With that necessary defense out of the way, I am a amateur guitar player, and I have always appreciated the level of musicianship of the Heartbreakers. Tight, clean, and vigorous. Mike Campbell plays excellent guitar, without unnecessary notes and flourish. It takes a surprising amount of ability to make four chord songs sound that great.

I only saw Dead once back in the 70's and I liked them enough ..OK..but they were just too jammin for my tastes.
Of course they are/were real musicians -pay no attention to Rune's picayune bullshit post criticizing me otherwise.

I'm just impressed by the Heartbreakers. I've seen them many times -a couple times with Stevie Nicks guesting
and they never fail to impress

I only saw Dead once back in the 70's and I liked them enough ..OK..but they were just too jammin for my tastes.
Of course they are/were real musicians -pay no attention to Rune's picayune bullshit post criticizing me otherwise.

I'm just impressed by the Heartbreakers. I've seen them many times -a couple times with Stevie Nicks guesting
and they never fail to impress

That drummer the Heartbreakers has is killer. And in some respects, a great sounding band always starts with the drummer. Tench and Campbell are both outstanding.

The thing I have come to realize about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is that they "get it". Not only does Tom Petty write great songs, they know how to interpret those songs in a deceptively simple, yet soulful and powerful way. That is the secret of Rock and Roll that few bands ever achieve. And perhaps explains why Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have endured for 40 years, never losing their edge or their popularity. An achievement that can be ascribed to only a handful of bands in the entire history of rock music.

Last edited:
I feel so frickin' old.......
because we are so frickin' old....

i recall when Petty came out in the mid-70s.
at first I dismissed them as a "girls band", and then tried to categorize them as new wave-
until it finally dawned on me this is a great rock band and nothing else need be said.

Back