Too few Veterinarians

uscitizen

Villified User
A New Problem for Farmers: Few Veterinarians
Linda Coan O’Kresik for The New York Times

Published: February 6, 2007

Becki Benson, with some of the 150 cows she and her husband, Eddie, own in Gorham, Me. The Bensons have had to take on more medical care.

Thursday was her doctor’s day off, and there was no one else for miles who could handle a complicated breech birth, not when the mother was a Holstein cow.

“Had the vet been here, we could have done a C-section and she could have lived through it fine,” said Becki Benson, the owner, with her husband, Eddie, of Rainbow and 150 other dairy cows.

Instead, “I worked on her till I was just exhausted,” Mr. Benson said. “But I ended up having to take the cow to a butcher shop, where she got processed for hamburger.”

These days, the Bensons’ veterinarian is pretty much the only cow doctor in a 1,300-square-mile swath of Maine, and one of only about 30 large-animal veterinarians left in the entire state.

And across the country, veterinarians who care for the animals that provide the United States with food are in increasingly short supply.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/us/06vets.html?ex=1171429200&en=e6edbc2c6368a124&ei=5065&partner=MYWAY

Must be all those cows filing malpractice lawsuits!
Tort reform for vets!

This is exactly what I'd always wanted to do with my life. Part of the problem is that there are so few veterinary colleges (e.g., here in Texas, where horses and cattle abound, there's only one!). Because of that, it's even more difficult to get into vet school than medical school. Of those who do attend, fewer and fewer want to go into the large animal practices, apparently preferring to go into the pet medical side of things.

Why rassle a cow when you can make more and stay warmer and cleaner treating spoiled pets ?

Ah, but have you read James Herriot's books? :) I hadn't until I was in graduate school, but still found them charming and compelling. They would have been a further encouragement to large animal practice.

No I have not read his books, will check them out though.

Start with the first, "All Creatures Great and Small". The series is a retrospective on his life as a beginning vet, just after the second World War, and carries through some decades. It takes place in Yorkshire, in Northern England. It's utterly charming, hilarious, frustrating, you name it. Of course James Herriott wasn't his real name, but that doesn't alter his readers' enjoyment.

All creatures great and small ...like the brit TV show ? Yes I will for sure have to check them out.

Back