Too Good to Pitch

Timshel

Don't know if this subject been posted on but...

A nine year old is not allowed to pitch because he is "too good." What?!?! http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/sports/baseball/26youth.html?ref=sports

This is complete nonsense. The justification given...

Peter Noble, a lawyer for the league, said the only factor in banning Jericho from pitching was that his pitches were too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

There are two problems with this excuse.

1. He has not hit anyone and supposedly has excellent control.
2. He is only throwing 40 miles an hour.

If you are worried about your kid getting hit by a ball traveling 40 miles an hour then don't let them play ball at all. Any decent 8-10 year old kid is going to occasionally, or even routinely, strike the ball hard enough to travel far beyond 40 miles an hour.

In the Little League World Series this past weekend there were plenty of kids throwing 70 plus. Those kids ranged from 10-12 (at least at the beginning of the season). Your head is not twice as hard at 12 vs 8.

At 40 miles an hour a ball is not likely to do much damage, unless there was some freakish incident. But baseball has certain risks and as a parent you either accept them or you turn your kid into a pussy.

Whatever parents are complaining about this should ashamed of themselves. In fact, if your kids are on another team and you are not protesting this you should be ashamed of yourself.

And the coach that forfeited and refused to play, he should retire from the game in disgrace.

Now, I don't know how this league is structured, but if it were setup correctly, this would be easily avoided. In my Little League kids from 9-12 played in either the Minor or Major Leagues. The Major League teams had first pick and would often take talented 9 year olds. Some of the kids at 12 stayed in the minors (though 12 year olds were not allowed to pitch in the Minor League). Major League teams often pulled kids up during the season. This was a good setup as the talented kids were challenged with better competition and the kids that were not so talented were allowed to stay with players closer to their skill level.

That is total bullshit. The kid should be allowed to pitch. They are all required to wear batting helmets I am sure.

It sounds like he is getting screwed.

LIBERTARIAN OUTRAGE

THE BEST OF OUR SIICOEITY IS DISCRIMATED AGAST! LIKE TEH RICH WHO GET THEIR BY WORKING 100 HOURS A WEEK! SLAVIN AWAY!

LIBERTARIAN OUTRAGE

THE BEST OF OUR SIICOEITY IS DISCRIMATED AGAST! LIKE TEH RICH WHO GET THEIR BY WORKING 100 HOURS A WEEK! SLAVIN AWAY!

And? If you work a hundred hours a week you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your superior effort.

And? If you work a hundred hours a week you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your superior effort.

Most people enjoy experiencing all $6.45 an hour of it. The rich? They do not work a quarter that much. I was mocking Sol, who once told me they get their by working, rather than the truth, which is that they get there by luck.

Most people enjoy experiencing all $6.45 an hour of it. The rich? They do not work a quarter that much. I was mocking Sol, who once told me they get their by working, rather than the truth, which is that they get there by luck.

Your comment seems to be about those that did...

LIKE TEH RICH WHO GET THEIR BY WORKING 100 HOURS A WEEK!

By luck? You think the rich are simply lucky? They bust their ass, make good choices and take risks to get where they are. They didn't get into Harvard or Yale by being lucky. They didn't start a new business by being lucky and working 25 hours a week. They didn't work at a minimum wage job and whine about someone else's paycheck, they went out and MADE their fortunes.

You think its luck? Unless you are referring to lottery winners, you are completely mistaken.

By luck? You think the rich are simply lucky? They bust their ass, make good choices and take risks to get where they are. They didn't get into Harvard or Yale by being lucky. They didn't start a new business by being lucky and working 25 hours a week. They didn't work at a minimum wage job and whine about someone else's paycheck, they went out and MADE their fortunes.

You think its luck? Unless you are referring to lottery winners, you are completely mistaken.

THEY BUST THEIR ASS AND THEY IS SMART JUST LIKE PARIS HIOLTON. THEY GOT INTO HARVARD AND YALE BECAUSE THEY ARE SMARTER, NOT BECAUSE OF LEGACY ADMISSINS.

THEY BUST THEIR ASS AND THEY IS SMART JUST LIKE PARIS HIOLTON. THEY GOT INTO HARVARD AND YALE BECAUSE THEY ARE SMARTER, NOT BECAUSE OF LEGACY ADMISSINS.

And do you think those with legacy admissions finished their degree? Or did anything with their degree?

I know its hard for you to believe, WM, but most rich people busted their ass to make something. There are plenty of stories of people starting out in the slums and becoming a huge success. There are plenty of stories of people starting out as middle class and becoming very wealthy.

Its not about stealing money or getting lucky. Its about making sacrifices to get where you want to be.

I read this yesterday and was bothered on a few levels.

1. This kid, in no way, should be banned from pitching. The absolute WORST thing you can do to a developing child is squelch his talents and strengths.

2. The way his mother has handled things seems quite inappropriate and immature.

Last edited:
I read this yesterday and was bothered on a few levels.

1. This kid, in no way, should NOT be banned from pitching. The absolute WORST thing you can do to a developing child is squelch his talents and strengths.

2. The way his mother has handled things seems quite inappropriate and immature.

Meg, I think this goes back to our society's increasing unwillingness to have anyone be the loser. So no one gets to be the winner.

I am surprised Waterhead is opposed! When I heard this story on the news last night, the first thing I thought about was Waterhead's rant about using the word "cunt" and how we needed a new rule. I could see someone like Water coming up with this stupidity.... "Well, it's just not 'fair' to the others to let him pitch..."

True enough, Grind. I guess its easier to think its all luck. That way it isn't him that has failed, he just didn't get lucky.

I'm not poor, and I will undoubtedly have more money than you one day. The only question is, which order of magnitude will it be? So, I think I'm more qualified to speak on how wealth is distributed.

I am surprised Waterhead is opposed! When I heard this story on the news last night, the first thing I thought about was Waterhead's rant about using the word "cunt" and how we needed a new rule.

Not a rule per se, more of a guideline. I never suggested the kind of auto-ban that got into you dumbasses head, probably because that's the only way you guys think punishment or ostracization can be handled.

I could see someone like Water coming up with this stupidity.... "Well, it's just not 'fair' to the others to let him pitch..."

It has nothing to do with being "fair" to the other children, they are concerned about the safety of the children, which is a perfectly legitimate gripe. If you disagree, found your own fucking league.

Not that I agree. It seems like someone was being rather sensationalist about the "lack of safety" and overestimating the amount of harm it would cause, which is common amongst conservatives. But, of course, we have you guys coming in and presenting this "IT'S OUR SOCIETYW HICH HATES WINNERS AND WNATS EVERY1 TO BE LOSER" and "CLRLY LIBERULS ARE 2 BLAIM" bullshit.

Last edited:
I'm not poor, and I will undoubtedly have more money than you one day. The only question is, which order of magnitude will it be? So, I think I'm more qualified to speak on how wealth is distributed.

If you think people become wealthy by sheer luck, and equate the chances at being rich to being struck by lightning, I would disagree on your qualifications to speak on wealth.

And just as an FYI, wealth is earned not distributed.

Back