Denmark
Switzerland
Netherlands
Sweden
Norway
Germany
New Zealand
Luxembourg

All the Scandinavian and Norden countries. Can anyone explain that?

The top 10 happiest countries also have the best social safety-net. Coincidence?

All the Scandinavian and Norden countries. Can anyone explain that?

They have high per capita alcohol consumption (litres)

Finland: 10.7
Iceland 9.1
Denmark 10.4
Switzerland 11.5
Netherlands 8.7
Sweden 9.2
Norway 7.5
Germany 13.4
New Zealand 10.7
Luxembourg 13.0

Iceland 9.1
Denmark 10.4
Switzerland 11.5
Netherlands 8.7
Sweden 9.2
Norway 7.5
Germany 13.4
New Zealand 10.7
Luxembourg 13.0
Average life expectancy in Nordic nations:
Sweden 83.3
Norway 82.9
Denmark 81.4
Iceland 83.5
Finland 82.5

Average life expectancy in Nordic nations:
Sweden 83.3
Norway 82.9
Denmark 81.4
Iceland 83.5
Finland 82.5

Scandinavian Americans have those same health advantages. So, it appears the country they live in is less of a factor than lifestyle, diet...........

They live longer and drink more.

Iceland 9.1
Denmark 10.4
Switzerland 11.5
Netherlands 8.7
Sweden 9.2
Norway 7.5
Germany 13.4
New Zealand 10.7
Luxembourg 13.0

But they are not anywhere near the top in consumption of ETOH. I cut off the snip when it got to Finland, the top on your list. These numbers are per liter of pure ETOH.

lZieZd7.jpg

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcohol-consumption-by-country

Scandinavian Americans have those same health advantages. So, it appears the country they live in is less of a factor than lifestyle, diet...........

They live longer and drink more.
Are you bragging or complaining?

Nordic nations have a good balance between work and recreation. Their very first year of work they receive 4 weeks of vacation. That doesn't include the 10 days off for holidays.

But they are not anywhere near the top in consumption of ETOH. I cut off the snip when it got to Finland, the top on your list. These numbers are per liter of pure ETOH.

I only used those ten nations listed in the OP. They still have twice the consumption of the world average. (10.42 v. 5.7).
Many of those with the highest consumption are undeveloped nations which I assume would not rank high on happiness.

I was not really suggesting those nations are "happy" because they consume a lot of alcohol, but neither do I think we can really determine the reason (including social safety net).

Not only do those ten happiest countries have above average alcohol consumption, they all have above average suicide rates.

"the World Happiness Report is more about contentment than exuberant, smiley happiness. Its rankings are based on each country’s average response to a question that goes something like this: If you imagine a ladder whose rungs are numbered zero to 10, and zero represents your worst possible life and 10 represents your best, which rung would you be on?"

Are you bragging or complaining?

Nordic nations have a good balance between work and recreation. Their very first year of work they receive 4 weeks of vacation. That doesn't include the 10 days off for holidays.

Neither bragging or complaining. I am just pointing out some facts that are relevant to some discussions. If Scandinavians living in the U. S. have the same health data as those in Scandinavia, it might not be healthcare system that is the cause but their standard of living and lifestyle.

Neither bragging or complaining. I am just pointing out some facts that are relevant to some discussions. If Scandinavians living in the U. S. have the same health data as those in Scandinavia, it might not be healthcare system that is the cause but their standard of living and lifestyle.
Scandinavians living in the US still have to deal with the rat race and stress that comes with 60 hour work weeks. John Deere's new contract shows that US workers are demanding more time to be home with their family.

Scandinavians living in the US still have to deal with the rat race and stress that comes with 60 hour work weeks. John Deere's new contract shows that US workers are demanding more time to be home with their family.

Then why are their health stats better? Most Americans do not work 60 hour work weeks--I know few who do.

Then why are their health stats better? Most Americans do not work 60 hour work weeks--I know few who do.
The annual study is on the happiest countries. Good health plays its part but good paying jobs along with 5 or 6 weeks vacation is the reason given for their happiness.

The annual study is on the happiest countries. Good health plays its part but good paying jobs along with 5 or 6 weeks vacation is the reason given for their happiness.

My question is why do Scandinavians in the U. S. have higher health states than other Americans? They obviously do not benefit from the safety net or universal health care.

My question is why do Scandinavians in the U. S. have higher health states than other Americans? They obviously do not benefit from the safety net or universal health care.
I will stipulate that Scandinavians have good genes but their health is only part of their happiness. One could live to be 100 and be miserable their entire life.

The US comes in 19th happiest (which is amazingly high) in spite of our corrupt corporate owned government. Protests and riots will continue to grow over the next 10 or 20 years. My argument is the US bought its way into the top 20 happiest countries.

These Scandinavian countries do have higher than average suicide rates...

In 2019, Sweden had 14.7 suicides per 100,000 people. Historically, Sweden has had a high suicide rate, with the most suicides in the developed world during the 1960s. That may have been due, at least in part, to cultural attitudes regarding suicide and long, dark winters, particularly in the northern regions.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country

There are great differences in the suicide rates in the closely related Nordic countries. The suicide rates are higher in Finland, especially in males, and Denmark, especially in females, and lower in Norway and Iceland, with Sweden in a middle position.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1293625/

So, they may be happy, but they've got issues too...

These Scandinavian countries do have higher than average suicide rates...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1293625/

So, they may be happy, but they've got issues too...
I can only take a month or 2 of winter so I was surprised to see all the Nordic countries in the top 10 happiest. It may still be part of the tradition in Finland to walk out on the ice alone once one becomes a burden on family. We stick our elderly in a nursing home once they become a burden. I'd rather take that walk on the ice once I'm too old to care for myself.

Back