Top 10 Lies the Black Church Tells About Being Gay

poet

Banned
http://www.bilerico.com/2011/12/top_10_lies_the_black_church_tells_about_being_gay.php

Recently, a young black gay guy from my hometown reached out to me about his sexuality. He wants to be happy and out of the closet, however he can't get pass one belief. This kid thinks he has a demon in him, but not just any demon, a homosexual demon. In his church, he's told that gays and lesbians are possessed by demons.

I was told the same mess when I was younger. It didn't stick with me; I thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But for many LGBT black Americans that lie, along with several other lies, haunts them for most of their lives.

I want to address these myths many LGBT people continue to hear in the black church. Here's a list of the top ten lies the black church tells about being gay, lesbian, or transgender.

1.Demon possession. There is no homosexual demon or any demon of that nature. It's a lie and silly one at that.
2.Homosexuality is designed to break up the black family. No, ignorance and bigotry causes the problems in the family. A true loving family looks beyond someone's sexuality or gender, and remains loving and supportive.
3.You can be delivered from homosexuality through prayer. Nope, you can't pray the gay away, but you will waste a lot of time on your knees.
4.Finding someone of the opposite sex to chase away "those feelings". That doesn't work. Why would you force yourself to be with someone you are not attracted to?
5.Lack of a father figure leads to homosexuality. That's a huge myth; many LGBT people come from a two-parent household.
6.Sexual abuse is the cause of homosexuality... Please.
7.The Bible says it's a sin. Okay, if we're going to play that game the Bible also says being drunk is a sin and debating is a sin. Hell, they're over 600 sins. If you are going to pick just one, you have to pick them all.
8.You are a broken person if you are gay, trans or lesbian. Donnie McClurkin preaches to his church members that we are broken, and we will never be whole until we give up our homosexuality. This is also a lie. By being honest and open, we are completely whole and true to ourselves.
9.Homosexuality is a curse. Really? It's not a spell from a wicked queen. It's who we are; it's who we're meant to be.
10.You will burn in Hell. I can't imagine burning in Hell for being yourself or sharing your life with someone you love. If this is so wrong, how can we be capable of love?

As a new generation rises, I hope the ignorance and bigotry within the black church dies. Black Christians have to realize these lies can do more harm than good. These lies can weaken someone's self-worth and self-esteem, leading them down a destructive path. The black church needs to know that condemning black LGBT people is not the way, but embracing and acknowledging the black LGBT community is.

The message has to change.

7.The Bible says it's a sin. Okay, if we're going to play that game the Bible also says being drunk is a sin and debating is a sin. Hell, they're over 600 sins. If you are going to pick just one, you have to pick them all.

this is true. i don't recall anything about debating being a sin though. that said....don't you claim to be a christian and claim that homosexuality is not a sin?

did you think they didn't?.......

This message is hidden because Supreme Being Yurt is on your ignore list.

Sorry, I don't deal with Supreme Being wanna bees. LOL

The Bible is confusing and contradictory. I prefer the words attributed to Christ Jesus.

the Bible isn't confusing or contradictory for people that actually sit down and read it instead of ignoring it as irrelevant..........that wasn't the question, however.....you criticize the Black church for not considering 600 other things to be sins......I ask again, did you really think they didn't?.......as to the words attributed to Jesus Christ, how do you feel about the last five words of John 8:11?.......

the Bible isn't confusing or contradictory for people that actually sit down and read it instead of ignoring it as irrelevant..........that wasn't the question, however.....you criticize the Black church for not considering 600 other things to be sins......I ask again, did you really think they didn't?.......as to the words attributed to Jesus Christ, how do you feel about the last five words of John 8:11?.......

Uh, stupid...I reposted a blog from a blogger. And once again, you're trying to direct someone else's traffic and flow.
And since you can't respectfully answer my questions, don't ask any. I will not discuss scripture, with the likes of you....a wanna be theologian, with a store bought theology degree.

Uh, stupid...I reposted a blog from a blogger. And once again, you're trying to direct someone else's traffic and flow.
And since you can't respectfully answer my questions, don't ask any. I will not discuss scripture, with the likes of you....a wanna be theologian, with a store bought theology degree.

This sort of thing annoys me more now than once it did. I have recently come to know a couple of gays and I have to say they are OK and my feelings for them as guys has not changed one iota because of their preferred sexuality. But, and I guess this has something to do with the fact that this has come rather late in my life, I cannot get my head round (which means I cannot accept) the idea of two guys kissing or even more.
Anyway it is accepted in many (most) quarters now that the only truth between the covers of the bible is there coincidentally and to even think about, let alone be concerned about, such ideas as 'sin' is ridiculous.

The (very few gay people) I know are not, by their nature, any more sinners than am I, indeed probably far less so.
To return to my thumping of tubs I have to say that the American attitude to religion and to Christianity in particular acts like a huge sea anchor to the progress of your nation.

It is almost as if there is a fear of healthy human progress and that you must spend countless hours re-interpreting the millions of letters and words to ensure that the 'n' momkeys and 'n' typewriters and their labours over 'n' years comply with your prejudices.

The discovery of another 'god' particle at the Hardon (hadron) collider moves us inexorably towards a time when intelligent man requires a bible to hold open a recalcitrant door against the naturally occurring breeze and nothing else.

Happy and peaceful 2012 to all. Remember the world could be a great place .. if only we would allow it.

This sort of thing annoys me more now than once it did. I have recently come to know a couple of gays and I have to say they are OK and my feelings for them as guys has not changed one iota because of their preferred sexuality. But, and I guess this has something to do with the fact that this has come rather late in my life, I cannot get my head round (which means I cannot accept) the idea of two guys kissing or even more.
Anyway it is accepted in many (most) quarters now that the only truth between the covers of the bible is there coincidentally and to even think about, let alone be concerned about, such ideas as 'sin' is ridiculous.

The (very few gay people) I know are not, by their nature, any more sinners than am I, indeed probably far less so.
To return to my thumping of tubs I have to say that the American attitude to religion and to Christianity in particular acts like a huge sea anchor to the progress of your nation.

It is almost as if there is a fear of healthy human progress and that you must spend countless hours re-interpreting the millions of letters and words to ensure that the 'n' momkeys and 'n' typewriters and their labours over 'n' years comply with your prejudices.

The discovery of another 'god' particle at the Hardon (hadron) collider moves us inexorably towards a time when intelligent man requires a bible to hold open a recalcitrant door against the naturally occurring breeze and nothing else.

Happy and peaceful 2012 to all. Remember the world could be a great place .. if only we would allow it.

The easiest thing to accept should be a human kissing another human. If you think about the reasons we kiss, it becomes a no-brainer.

The easiest thing to accept should be a human kissing another human. If you think about the reasons we kiss, it becomes a no-brainer.

Ahh, there you go again being logical. Prejudice has little foundation in logic, it is caught, like a disease from other sufferers.
I can't stand boiled Swede either even though I might have to depend on it for sustenance, and would date a turnip before accepting a swede in close proximity.
I don't know whether kissing, per se, is the most natural thing in the world. After all the mouth is, potentially, at least as dangerous as other orifices and more so than some! I had a horrible thought the other day, that what if I had just kissed a beautiful lady who moments before had encouraged her slobbering Cocker Spaniel to do likewise.

In future I think I'll carry a full washing kit with me with which to scrub the waiting lips of that evening's love!

lol....so you can't be held to what you post because you didn't say it, you can't be asked to discuss something because you don't like my responses, and you can't be held to a standard of the your religion because you reject it.....and you call ME the wannabe?.....you're a wannabe debater who refuses to debate.....

lol....so you can't be held to what you post because you didn't say it, you can't be asked to discuss something because you don't like my responses, and you can't be held to a standard of the your religion because you reject it.....and you call ME the wannabe?.....you're a wannabe debater who refuses to debate.....

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....run along. Debating is for adults. Clearly, you're challenged in that dept.

Learn to write English properly, also.

Not possessed, poet, oppressed. In those churches they are taught that gays are oppressed by the "demon of homosexuality"...

Possession is when a demon takes over and rides your bike and slaps your moms, oppression is when a demon attaches to and promotes a weakness driving an otherwise good person to "sin"...

They have an amazing amount of demons too. The "demon of masturbation" for instance. It isn't just homosexuality.

Not possessed, poet, oppressed. In those churches they are taught that gays are oppressed by the "demon of homosexuality"...

Possession is when a demon takes over and rides your bike and slaps your moms, oppression is when a demon attaches to and promotes a weakness driving an otherwise good person to "sin"...

They have an amazing amount of demons too. The "demon of masturbation" for instance. It isn't just homosexuality.

This was a blogger's opinion. He made some valid points, some others not so much.

Back