Topsy the Elephant

When BJ Palmer (of Chiropractic fame) was traveling in Egypt he was riding on a elephant when he noticed that the elephants spine was subluxated. He came up with the bright idea of adjusting the elephant using two by fours and a sledge hammer. It worked much to the benefit of the elephant. He then had the bright idea of trying it again only this time filming it only this time it didn't work so well. He broke the elephants back and killed it.

BTW, that's a disturbing video.

Last edited:
Leave it to Tom to celebrate torture like that. And no, I didn't watch the video. Inhumane treatment of innocent animals sickens me, and always has. Tom, when you were a kid did you use to fry ants on the sidewalk with a magnifying glass?

Leave it to Tom to celebrate torture like that. And no, I didn't watch the video. Inhumane treatment of innocent animals sickens me, and always has. Tom, when you were a kid did you use to fry ants on the sidewalk with a magnifying glass?

As usual you've totally missed the point.

In my closet. My brother is into autoasphyxiation. You know how many hanger rods I've had to replace?

According to Wiki he used AC to kill Topsy, so I guess that battle was already won.

Topsy was fed carrots laced with 460 grams of potassium cyanide before the deadly current from a 6,600-volt AC source was sent coursing through her body. She was dead in seconds.[SUP][2][/SUP] The event was witnessed by an estimated 1,500 people and Edison's film of the event was seen by audiences throughout the United States.

Ever seen a hanging done wrong? It takes about 10-20 minutes for the victim to strangle. It's pretty ugly.

If a hanging is done correctly, it snaps the neck and kills the person instantly. It's actually a pretty humane method if done correctly. Of course, if the rope is too short, it's just strangulation, which is a horrible death. That's probably how it was done almost all of the time in ancient times as well; I simply have to grimace looking at the incredibly short ropes on old gallows. But people became more interested in "humane" execution in the 19th century, and I think that all modern hangings are done using appropriate methods. And if it is botched, that's bad, but I imagine that they undo the rope and try again rather than watching them suffocate. This is unlike the common lethal injection method where, for some reason, we give them a chemical that paralyzes them as well as a chemicals that kill them, so if it's done wrong they'll just lay there in pain, paralyzed and unable to say anything about it. Moderners are much more interested in how an execution looks that how it actually is.

Of course, electrocution is said to cause brain death instantly if done correctly as well. But it is a very nasty and complicated method of getting the same result. However, I doubt that this was done correctly - I doubt they did a lot of research into the subject of electrocuting an elephant, and the nodes appear to be attached to the elephants feet.

Last edited:
If a hanging is done correctly, it snaps the neck and kills the person instantly. It's actually a pretty humane method if done correctly. Of course, if the rope is too short, it's just strangulation, which is a horrible death. That's probably how it was done almost all of the time in ancient times as well; I simply have to grimace looking at the incredibly short ropes on old gallows. But people became more interested in "humane" execution in the 19th century, and I think that all modern hangings are done using appropriate methods. And if it is botched, that's bad, but I imagine that they undo the rope and try again rather than watching them suffocate. This is unlike the common lethal injection method where, for some reason, we give them a chemical that paralyzes them as well as a chemicals that kill them, so if it's done wrong they'll just lay there in pain, paralyzed and unable to say anything about it. Moderners are much more interested in how an execution looks that how it actually is.

Of course, electrocution is said to cause brain death instantly if done correctly as well. But it is a very nasty and complicated method of getting the same result. However, I doubt that this was done correctly - I doubt they did a lot of research into the subject of electrocuting an elephant, and the nodes appear to be attached to the elephants feet.

most methods of killing, if done right, are humane. of course if any method is not correctly, it is likely not humane.

more obvious words have never been spoken

Back