Touch the week its lucky!

Lowaicue

英語在香港
Yanks out, Americans in at LFC.

The High Court in London has, in not so many words, told the fat, ugly yanks, Hicks and Gillet not to bother to appeal as it would be ‘inappropriate’ and cleared the way for John Henry of the Boston Red Sox to finalise his purchase of Liverpool Football Club.

A lesson to those fat, ugly yanks who think they can ride roughshod over the feelings of good people in their quest for the almighty dollar. Well, Hicks and Gillet have nothing. Not a brass farthing from their unpopular reign of one of the worlds most famous, revered and respected football clubs.

Chile
Chile Mining Minister, that nice guy who has kept the world informed of the progress of the greatest mine rescue in the history of mining, Sr Golborne, shares his name with another auspicious mining landmark.

On the 18th March 1979 an explosion ripped through the Golborne colliery in Wigan, Lancashire killing ten men.

Peter Franzen recounts the days after the disaster.’

The explosion ripped through the Plodder seam drivage where coal miners and electricians were hard at work.
Three men died instantly and a further eight received serious lung and burn injuries. Seven of the eight later died from their injuries.
I recall when my eldest daughter, then aged nine, came home from Lowton St.Lukes primary school and told me that one of her classmates had lost her father in the mine explosion. Tragically her uncle died of his injuries the following day.

The same number of men have been squeezed through that tiny tube into the cool Chilean morning as I write this. The capsule will soon go down for the eleventh. We have watched, tears held back, as images from the underground prison that held the miners flashed on our TV screens. There is nothing to say now. Words were not invented for such a scene.

Book deal

At a dinner on Monday I was asked to write two more small books and, whereas I lacked the confidence to ask for much when I had completed the first, on this occasion I received what I consider to be a fair, up-front payment and percentage royalties for as long as they are sold. The last one has sold in excess of 20,000 and been translated into several European languages.

I certainly would not have accepted the deal had it not come from a very attractive lady with…. How do you Americans say it? … A fine rack and a pretty face. Such a pity she has a husband!!

Post a comment if you thought this was OK.

I watched as the first miner surfaced and couldn't hold back the tears. What courage and endurance. Here's hoping these men never again have to enter a mine, and that they get all the medical, psychological and financial help they truly deserve.

Congrats on the book deal! Is it for something exciting, like your memoirs? :-)

Chile is holding the world's attention, it's awesome that it is something good for once. That Chilean President is going to OWN the next election.

Back