Tragedy at Dallas air show.....

Nomad

BIDEN WON.
Two vintage WWII military aircraft participating in an airshow near Dallas yesterday, collided in midair then immediately crashed into the ground and exploded in flames.

A Bell P-63 King Cobra collided with a B-17 Superfortress.

I heard a report that six people died, though thankfully, none on the ground.

Personally I think it's time to stop holding these airshows involving vintage aircraft.

Not just because everytime there's a crash people lose their lives, but because these vintage aircraft are becoming more and more rare.

Park them in museums for people to enjoy and stop depleting the already limited number of these beautiful works of engineering and art.

My dad was a huge fan of military aircraft shows. We used to go to them all when I was a kid. But a similar event in Fort Worth ended in tragedy and my whole family witnessed it and were traumatized by it. It killed some bystanders and families there watching the event. My family never attended another one. And I haven't either as an adult.

Three F15E Fighter Jets did a very low altitude Rollover/flyover over Lambeau Field just yesterday during the Dallas Cowboys football game there right in the middle of a play execution, and my thoughts were, had any one of those planes screwed up, that could have been a lot of deaths, had one crashed into the sold out stadium.

I saw no cheering or applause from the crowd, just a lot of shocked looks on everyone's faces. They look like they were scared! It was very loud.

Even the guy calling the game on TV said, "What was that"?

Last edited:
My dad was a huge fan of military aircraft shows. We used to go to them all when I was a kid. But a similar event in Fort Worth ended in tragedy and my whole family witnessed it and were traumatized by it. It killed some bystanders and families there watching the event. My family never attended another one. And I haven't either as an adult.

Three F15E Fighter Jets did a very low altitude Rollover/flyover over Lambeau Field just yesterday during the Dallas Cowboys football game there right in the middle of a play execution, and my thoughts were, had any one of those planes screwed up, that could have been a lot of deaths, had one crashed into the sold out stadium.

I saw no cheering or applause from the crowd, just a lot of shocked looks on everyone's faces. They look like they were scared! It was very loud.

There was a really famous one that happened at Ramstein AFB in Germany in 1988 that killed 70 people when the flaming wreckage of a jet went careening into the crowd of people on the ground.

Sickening to watch.

The squadron leaders have a huge responsibility during the fighter jet exhibitions. If the leader screws up he takes his whole squadron with him/her.

Personally I think it's time to stop holding these airshows involving vintage aircraft.

Not just because everytime there's a crash people lose their lives, but because these vintage aircraft are becoming more and more rare.

Park them in museums for people to enjoy and stop depleting the already limited number of these beautiful works of engineering and art.

I disagree. I think Jay Leno has it correct. Every car in his collection is a driver. That is, they are restored where they can be driven. Some are not the safest vehicles. He just got seriously burned in a gasoline fire from one of the vehicles in his collection. He's admitted to being singed by lighting the boiler in his Stanley Steamer car.
He takes these in stride as part of his hobby.

But because he keeps his cars in running condition and drives them, we learn far more about them and automotive technology than if they just sat in a museum somewhere. Even the Smithsonian restores aircraft to flying condition even if they don't fly them.

I think it's a great shame and waste not to continue to fly and use these historical vehicles. Seeing them in operation is meaningful in many ways letting them sit never used will never be.

I disagree. I think Jay Leno has it correct. Every car in his collection is a driver. That is, they are restored where they can be driven. Some are not the safest vehicles. He just got seriously burned in a gasoline fire from one of the vehicles in his collection. He's admitted to being singed by lighting the boiler in his Stanley Steamer car.

But because he keeps his cars in running condition and drives them, we learn far more about them and automotive technology than if they just sat in a museum somewhere. Even the Smithsonian restores aircraft to flying condition even if they don't fly them.

I think it's a great shame and waste not to continue to fly and use these historical vehicles. Seeing them in operation is meaningful in many ways letting them sit never used will never be.

Now that we are under the rule of a Revolution which demands that all claim to be ashamed of Americas past it is rather hard to see how air shows are going to be able to continue. Also the operation of steam locomotives.

There is a difference between flying antiques normally and performing dangerous stunts

See following quote...

There is a difference between flying antiques normally and performing dangerous stunts

What he said ^^^^. :thup:

Doesn't look like any "dangerous stunt" going on.

Apparently, the P-63 has notoriously bad visibility. Some are opining that the pilot of the P-63 simply may not have seen the B-17, despite the size of the latter...

Doesn't look like any "dangerous stunt" going on.

Apparently, the P-63 has notoriously bad visibility. Some are opining that the pilot of the P-63 simply may not have seen the B-17, despite the size of the latter...

Well it was far away enough to see it was in direct path.

Well it was far away enough to see it was in direct path.

According to those who've actually flown the P-63, say that's not necessarily the case.

Now, frankly, I have a difficult time with the idea that a person can't see a B-17 in his flight path, but I'm also not so full of myself that I would doubt the word of someone who's actually flown one of the planes that hit it...

According to those who've actually flown the P-63, say that's not necessarily the case.

Now, frankly, I have a difficult time with the idea that a person can't see a B-17 in his flight path, but I'm also not so full of myself that I would doubt the word of someone who's actually flown one of the planes that hit it...

Yeah. It's a bizarre accident that could have been avoided.

Back