Troops and Mental Illness

Cancel7

Banned
This is a very long piece in the WAPO. I can't read the whole thing, I got through two pages and felt ill. What are we going to do with these people? And why is it that the costs of war are never discussed before we go to war? Do people even have any comprehension of what we do to our own people (never mind the people of the country we are occupying, I understand that Americans by and large simply do not care) when we send them off to kill, and to watch their friends explode in front of their eyes, and then they have to pick up the frigging body pieces?

No. We say, we have to go to war and the sheep in this country, say "oh ok" and they run out and get themselves a "support the troops" magnet of bumper sticker, and they've done their part. Well, this war has dragged on long enough that, I'm sorry to say, the "support the troops" stickers and magnets I have seen lately are pretty ragged. So the least you troop supporters can do is replace your damn bumper stickers, because these guys surely do need some support, and it is the very least that you can do. It is certainly, the very least that you can do.

"I want to see people that I hate die," he said. "I want to blow their heads off. I wish I didn't, but I do." He made similar statements to his psychiatry team at Walter Reed.

Mental care falls short for vets
Doctor shortage, unfocused methods leave Iraq combat vets frustrated
By Anne Hull and Dana Priest
The Washington Post
Updated: 11:17 p.m. ET June 17, 2007
On the military plane that crossed the ocean at night, the wounded lay in stretchers stacked three high. The drone of engines was broken by the occasional sound of moaning. Sedated and sleeping, Pfc. Joshua Calloway was at the top of one stack last September. Unlike the others around him, Calloway was handcuffed to his stretcher.

When the 20-year-old infantry soldier woke up, he was on the locked-down psychiatric ward at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. A nurse handed him pajamas and a robe, but they reminded him of the flowing clothes worn by Iraqi men. He told the nurse, "I don't want to look like a freakin' Haj." He wanted his uniform. Request denied. Shoelaces and belts were prohibited.

Calloway felt naked without his M-4, his constant companion during his tour south of Baghdad with the 101st Airborne Division. The year-long deployment claimed the lives of 50 soldiers in his brigade. Two committed suicide. Calloway, blue-eyed and lantern-jawed, lasted nine months -- until the afternoon he watched his sergeant step on a pressure-plate bomb in the road. The young soldier's knees buckled and he vomited in the reeds before he was ordered to help collect body parts. A few days later he was sent to the combat-stress trailers, where he was given antidepressants and rest, but after a week he was still twitching and sleepless. The Army decided that his war was over.

Every month, 20 to 40 soldiers are evacuated from Iraq because of mental problems, according to the Army. Most are sent to Walter Reed along with other war-wounded. For amputees, the nation's top Army hospital offers state-of-the-art prosthetics and physical rehab programs, and soon, a new $10 million amputee center with a rappelling wall and virtual reality center.

Nothing so gleaming exists for soldiers with diagnoses of post-traumatic stress disorder, who in the Army alone outnumber all of the war's amputees by 43 to 1. The Army has no PTSD center at Walter Reed, and its psychiatric treatment is weak compared with the best PTSD programs the government offers. Instead of receiving focused attention, soldiers with combat-stress disorders are mixed in with psych patients who have mental issues ranging from schizophrenia to marital strife.

Even though Walter Reed maintains the largest psychiatric department in the Army, it lacks enough psychiatrists and clinicians to properly treat the growing number of soldiers returning with combat stress. Earlier this year, the head of psychiatry sent out an "SOS" memo desperately seeking more clinical help.

Individual therapy with a trained clinician, a key element in recovery from PTSD, is infrequent, and targeted group therapy is offered only twice a week.

Young Pfc. Calloway was put in robes that first night. His dreams were infected by corpses. He tasted blood in his mouth. He was paranoid and jumpy. He couldn't stop the movie inside his head of Sgt. Matthew Vosbein stepping on the bomb. His memory was shot. His insides burned.

Calloway's mother came to Walter Reed from Ohio and told the psychiatrist everything she knew about her son. Sitting in the office for the interview, Calloway jiggled his leg and put his head in his hands as he described his tour in Iraq. His mental history was probed and more notes were taken. The trivia of his life -- a beagle named Zoe, a job during high school at a Meijer superstore, a love of World War II history -- competed with what he had become.

"I can't remember who I was before I went into the Army," he said later. "Put me in a war for a year, my brain becomes a certain way. My brain is a big, black ball of crap with this brick wall in front of it."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19279863/page/2/

This is a very long piece in the WAPO. I can't read the whole thing, I got through two pages and felt ill. What are we going to do with these people? And why is it that the costs of war are never discussed before we go to war? Do people even have any comprehension of what we do to our own people (never mind the people of the country we are occupying, I understand that Americans by and large simply do not care) when we send them off to kill, and to watch their friends explode in front of their eyes, and then they have to pick up the frigging body pieces?

No. We say, we have to go to war and the sheep in this country, say "oh ok" and they run out and get themselves a "support the troops" magnet of bumper sticker, and they've done their part. Well, this war has dragged on long enough that, I'm sorry to say, the "support the troops" stickers and magnets I have seen lately are pretty ragged. So the least you troop supporters can do is replace your damn bumper stickers, because these guys surely do need some support, and it is the very least that you can do. It is certainly, the very least that you can do.

"I want to see people that I hate die," he said. "I want to blow their heads off. I wish I didn't, but I do." He made similar statements to his psychiatry team at Walter Reed.

Mental care falls short for vets
Doctor shortage, unfocused methods leave Iraq combat vets frustrated
By Anne Hull and Dana Priest
The Washington Post
Updated: 11:17 p.m. ET June 17, 2007
On the military plane that crossed the ocean at night, the wounded lay in stretchers stacked three high. The drone of engines was broken by the occasional sound of moaning. Sedated and sleeping, Pfc. Joshua Calloway was at the top of one stack last September. Unlike the others around him, Calloway was handcuffed to his stretcher.

When the 20-year-old infantry soldier woke up, he was on the locked-down psychiatric ward at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. A nurse handed him pajamas and a robe, but they reminded him of the flowing clothes worn by Iraqi men. He told the nurse, "I don't want to look like a freakin' Haj." He wanted his uniform. Request denied. Shoelaces and belts were prohibited.

Calloway felt naked without his M-4, his constant companion during his tour south of Baghdad with the 101st Airborne Division. The year-long deployment claimed the lives of 50 soldiers in his brigade. Two committed suicide. Calloway, blue-eyed and lantern-jawed, lasted nine months -- until the afternoon he watched his sergeant step on a pressure-plate bomb in the road. The young soldier's knees buckled and he vomited in the reeds before he was ordered to help collect body parts. A few days later he was sent to the combat-stress trailers, where he was given antidepressants and rest, but after a week he was still twitching and sleepless. The Army decided that his war was over.

Every month, 20 to 40 soldiers are evacuated from Iraq because of mental problems, according to the Army. Most are sent to Walter Reed along with other war-wounded. For amputees, the nation's top Army hospital offers state-of-the-art prosthetics and physical rehab programs, and soon, a new $10 million amputee center with a rappelling wall and virtual reality center.

Nothing so gleaming exists for soldiers with diagnoses of post-traumatic stress disorder, who in the Army alone outnumber all of the war's amputees by 43 to 1. The Army has no PTSD center at Walter Reed, and its psychiatric treatment is weak compared with the best PTSD programs the government offers. Instead of receiving focused attention, soldiers with combat-stress disorders are mixed in with psych patients who have mental issues ranging from schizophrenia to marital strife.

Even though Walter Reed maintains the largest psychiatric department in the Army, it lacks enough psychiatrists and clinicians to properly treat the growing number of soldiers returning with combat stress. Earlier this year, the head of psychiatry sent out an "SOS" memo desperately seeking more clinical help.

Individual therapy with a trained clinician, a key element in recovery from PTSD, is infrequent, and targeted group therapy is offered only twice a week.

Young Pfc. Calloway was put in robes that first night. His dreams were infected by corpses. He tasted blood in his mouth. He was paranoid and jumpy. He couldn't stop the movie inside his head of Sgt. Matthew Vosbein stepping on the bomb. His memory was shot. His insides burned.

Calloway's mother came to Walter Reed from Ohio and told the psychiatrist everything she knew about her son. Sitting in the office for the interview, Calloway jiggled his leg and put his head in his hands as he described his tour in Iraq. His mental history was probed and more notes were taken. The trivia of his life -- a beagle named Zoe, a job during high school at a Meijer superstore, a love of World War II history -- competed with what he had become.

"I can't remember who I was before I went into the Army," he said later. "Put me in a war for a year, my brain becomes a certain way. My brain is a big, black ball of crap with this brick wall in front of it."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19279863/page/2/
This is one of th major reasons I am for getting out. This is the Viet syndrome personified. There are some "GUNG HO" types where war is right up their alley, but for most of Humanity. it is a degrading experience, and the Heros are the ones who come out unscathed.

The rest are simply Victims.

This is one of th major reasons I am for getting out. This is the Viet syndrome personified. There are some "GUNG HO" types where war is right up their alley, but for most of Humanity. it is a degrading experience, and the Heros are the ones who come out unscathed.

The rest are simply Victims.

Well, you know, I don't think it's possible to come out unscathed. Unless you went in with clear sociopathic tendencies and come out a full-fledged psychopath. Maybe the heros are the ones who don't come out unscathed but somehow manage to find their way back to their own humanity. I don't know. But I've talked to Vietman Vets who came out of their one tour in Vietnam with severe PTSD, and are just blown away by even imagining what these guys doing three and four tours are going to come home as.

Yep and the bush budget for this year specificially cut mental health funding for VETS. Congress overrode and did not make a cut though.

This is my main beef with the democratic congress. They need to pull out now. This is ridiculous. We've created terrorists in Iraq and then we're going to create terorrists here. AND FOR WHAT?! I can't even get past the first paragraph. My little brother that signed up a few months ago went to advanced training this weekend. This stuff pisses me off. I'd give my left nut to see the Bush twins enlist and go to Iraq.

This is my main beef with the democratic congress. They need to pull out now. This is ridiculous. We've created terrorists in Iraq and then we're going to create terorrists here. AND FOR WHAT?! I can't even get past the first paragraph. My little brother that signed up a few months ago went to advanced training this weekend. This stuff pisses me off. I'd give my left nut to see the Bush twins enlist and go to Iraq.

They're waiting for bipartisan cover. I do not agree with this, but that is what they are waiting for. Americans need to make sure they get come September, because that is the only way we are pulling out, with Republican help. That means, anyone who lives in a state with one or more R Senators, you must write them letters once a week all summer. If you have a R congressperson, do the same. We'll draw down this year, IF Republicans understand they will not be reelected with Bush's war tied to them.

I don't know if the Dems will finally grow a pair and cut off funding in September, without R cover. The r's won't cut off funding but they will go to bush and tell him, no more. Draw down. Maybe I'll be wrong and the Dems will do it without them, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I hope you're brother doesn't end up there Tiana.

I don't know if the Dems will finally grow a pair and cut off funding in September, without R cover. The r's won't cut off funding but they will go to bush and tell him, no more. Draw down. Maybe I'll be wrong and the Dems will do it without them, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I hope you're brother doesn't end up there Tiana.

If he does end up there, I think I'll have a mental breakdown. And I'm serious about that. I heard on C-Span that congress has a 23% approval rating at the moment. If they don't grow a pair they will (and deservingly so) lose in 2008. I think I've decided that I'm not supporting them if they haven't made the moves to pull out by the election. And not some half hearted attempt either. I may join Ornot and go Green.

That congress approval thing....They are just a marginal Demoncratic majority. the repubs stand to lose just as much in congress.

If he does end up there, I think I'll have a mental breakdown. And I'm serious about that. I heard on C-Span that congress has a 23% approval rating at the moment. If they don't grow a pair they will (and deservingly so) lose in 2008. I think I've decided that I'm not supporting them if they haven't made the moves to pull out by the election. And not some half hearted attempt either. I may join Ornot and go Green.

But lose to whom? You have the choice of balless dems, and Republican hawks, who can, and will, bomb Iran creating something that we cannot yet imagine. Though, that may very well happen before the election anyway. It's the worst situation I've ever seen in my lifetime.

But lose to whom? You have the choice of balless dems, and Republican hawks, who can, and will, bomb Iran creating something that we cannot yet imagine. Though, that may very well happen before the election anyway. It's the worst situation I've ever seen in my lifetime.

That's the problem. We all continually support this bipartisan system which is failing us miserably. Callers this morning (even republican ones if you can believe this) had good ideas. We should impose term limits on congress too.

I fully support term limits and lockouts from coming back as a contractor or lobbyiist for 5 yr period after leaving office.

Back