Turkey Day

Teflon Don

I'm back baby
OK so one of my favorite days of the year is coming and in keeping with some similar threads what is your preferred way to cook a bird and fixins?

First off I buy a bird from my butcher. Fresh from the farm. No preservatives and never frozen. Best turkey I have ever had

Second, I only dry brine with kosher salt for 24 hours. I don't believe in wet brines

I do inject the bird with some butter and put a rub of sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil and black pepper on the bird

I also spatchcock or butterfly the bird. I have found this is 1000% the best way to cook the bird and I have tried everything else. You can cook a bird in an hour and a half and the meat is as moist as can be. I do it on my weber grill using indirect cooking.

Psychos and douchebags not allowed

OK so one of my favorite days of the year is coming and in keeping with some similar threads what is your preferred way to cook a bird and fixins?

First off I buy a bird from my butcher. Fresh from the farm. No preservatives and never frozen. Best turkey I have ever had

Second, I only dry brine with kosher salt for 24 hours. I don't believe in wet brines

I do inject the bird with some butter and put a rub of sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil and black pepper on the bird

I also spatchcock or butterfly the bird. I have found this is 1000% the best way to cook the bird and I have tried everything else. You can cook a bird in an hour and a half and the meat is as moist as can be. I do it on my weber grill using indirect cooking.

Psychos and douchebags not allowed
Fresh is the best, without doubt...we get them from The University...
We smoke one, deep fry one, and do one in the Nesco;)
Each one is prepped differently...

Fresh is the best, without doubt...we get them from The University...
We smoke one, deep fry one, and do one in the Nesco;)
Each one is prepped differently...

I have only ever Deep fried one once. Didn’t care for cooking it that way. Skin got crisp. Meat was moist. But didn’t like cooking with that much oil

I like doing it on the Weber because it frees up the oven for everything else.

Used to have a big assed George Foreman rotisserie that held a 16 pound bird. It did a pretty good job.

The other thing I don’t like about deep frying is no turkey drippings

I have only ever Deep fried one once. Didn’t care for cooking it that way. Skin got crisp. Meat was moist. But didn’t like cooking with that much oil

Used to have a big assed George Foreman rotisserie that held a 16 pound bird. It did a pretty good job.

We use an electric fryer....with peanut oil... 40-45 minutes...only about a thirteen pound bird, but it comes out perfectly. The oil can be reused....
Lots of drippings with the other methods.... Will have to try the grill sometime when there isn't so much else to do;)...the roaster frees up oven space;

I don't care for deep fried turkey either.

Back