US generals ‘will quit’ if Bush orders Iran attack

uscitizen

Villified User
US generals ‘will quit’ if Bush orders Iran attack
Michael Smith and Sarah Baxter, Washington

SOME of America’s most senior military commanders are prepared to resign if the White House orders a military strike against Iran, according to highly placed defence and intelligence sources.

Tension in the Gulf region has raised fears that an attack on Iran is becoming increasingly likely before President George Bush leaves office. The Sunday Times has learnt that up to five generals and admirals are willing to resign rather than approve what they consider would be a reckless attack.

“There are four or five generals and admirals we know of who would resign if Bush ordered an attack on Iran,” a source with close ties to British intelligence said. “There is simply no stomach for it in the Pentagon, and a lot of people question whether such an attack would be effective or even possible.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article1434540.ece

It makes sense to me, because if I were in their shoes I'd have resigned a long time ago, but I do wonder about the legitimacy of reports like this. Its tough to picture high ranking generals whining to people that they are going ot resign if they attack Iran. Usually if you are at level you are indoctrinated with a "do as your told" mentality which helps get your promoted. If these reports are infact true, I think its safe to say that GWB will be the undoing of hte military as we know it.

I think its quite possible that he will trigger checks and balances that have to answer to civil courts. I also think that he will trigger an overhaul of some the methodologies employed by the stop-losses. I think he will trigger recourse for soldiers that are adamently opposed to the foundations of a particular military action etc. I don't think there will be a coup per se, but I think we may be entering a time where soldiers will have more rights and recourse rather than simply being property of the government.

Back