US supreme court rules Trump has ‘absolute immunity’ for official acts

The Supreme Court says presidents have “absolute” immunity for clearly official acts, but no immunity for unofficial acts. Former president and presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump faces four federal felony counts in D.C. for allegedly trying to undo Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory. The high court’s 6-3 ruling sends the case back to the lower court to determine when and whether Trump will go to trial.

Writing the court’s opinion, Chief Justice John Roberts says:

Under our constitutional structure of separated powers, the nature of Presidential power entitles a former President to absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for actions within his conclusive and preclusive constitutional authority. And he is entitled to at least presumptive immunity from prosecution for all his official acts. There is no immunity for unofficial acts.

Court decision 'makes a mockery of the principle' that 'no man is above the law', writes Sotomayor in dissent​

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, writing in dissent, said the court’s decision in the Trump immunity case “makes a mockery of the principle … that no man is above the law”. She writes:

Today’s decision to grant former Presidents criminal immunity reshapes the institution of the Presidency. It makes a mockery of the principle, foundational to our Constitution and system of Government, that no man is above the law.
The indictment “paints a stark portrait of a President desperate to stay in power”, she continued.

Because our Constitution does not shield a former President from answering for criminal and treasonous acts, I dissent.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor is reading her dissent from the bench on behalf of Justices Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson.

Sotomayor writes that the majority’s grant of immunity “reshapes the institution of the presidency” and “makes a mockery of the principle” that “no man is above the law.”

Sotomayor, Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson should never have been put on the bench. They are proof that mediocrity is what DEI will get you.

These three don't even comprehend the Constitution or the founder's intent.

But despite telegraphing that likely result, the Supreme Court does not just say that. It instead sends the issue back to Judge Chutkan: “It is ultimately the government’s burden to rebut the presumption of immunity. We therefore remand to the district court to assess in the first instance, with appropriate input from the parties, whether a prosecution involving Trump’s alleged attempts to influence the vice president’s oversight of the certification proceeding in his capacity as president of the Senate would pose any dangers of intrusion on the authority and functions of the executive branch.”

The three liberal justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson all dissented from the majority opinion.

Writing in her dissent, Sotomayor said:

The relationship between the President and the people he serves has shifted irrevocably. In every use of official power, the President is now a king above the law.
She warned of the “stark” long-term consequences of today’s decision, noting that court had effectively created a “law free zone” around the president.

This new official-acts immunity now ‘lies about like a loaded weapon’ for any President that wishes to place his own interests, his own political survival, or his own financial gain, above the interests of the Nation.
Sotomayor continued:

The President of the United States is the most powerful person in the country, and possibly the world. When he uses his official powers in any way, under the majority’s reasoning, he now will be insulated from criminal prosecution. Orders the Navy’s Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival? Immune. Organizes a military coup to hold onto power? Immune. Takes a bribe in exchange for a pardon? Immune. Immune, immune, immune.

The court has ruled on presidential immunity. “A former president is entitled to absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for actions within his “conclusive and preclusive constitutional authority,” the ruling says. “There is no immunity for unofficial acts.”

Guess that puts a stake in the Stalinist Lawfare the party has engaged in.

What now? Will the party attempt to assassinate President Trump?

Sotomayor, Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson should never have been put on the bench. They are proof that mediocrity is what DEI will get you.

These three don't even comprehend the Constitution or the founder's intent.

Kagan, though a full blown Communist, is fully qualified to be a SCOTUS Justice. I don't agree with her on anything, but she is qualified.

Sotomayor has an IQ in the low 60's. Obviously someone else took the bar for her, as they did with Ted Kennedy. Sotomayor is too dumb to work at burger king, much less sit on the high court. She just does what Kagan tells her. She has no understanding of what is going on in the court.

Trump will lose election and use violence to literally attack the government.

Biden, who I wholly support, is too passive.
I cant see Biden winning at this point, but I hope you are correct. Even so, the S. Ct. is fundamentally changing out nation.

I cant see Biden winning at this point, but I hope you are correct. Even so, the S. Ct. is fundamentally changing out nation.
I can't see Trump winning. Media has been hyping Trump, but I doubt voting Americans are falling for their bullshit.

So Biden can't be prosecuted for using a foreign army of 20 million illegals to invade the USA?

You should be happy, Comrade.
If he had done that, he would not be prosecuted. This is true.

Good job creating that America.

Trump will lose election and use violence to literally attack the government.

827c8d169518fb3497ceb56760fbb121.gif

The court has ruled on presidential immunity. “A former president is entitled to absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for actions within his “conclusive and preclusive constitutional authority,” the ruling says. “There is no immunity for unofficial acts.”

The decision is based on limited immunity. Presidents are immune for core constitutional official actions, but not every thing a president does is an official act

The decision is based on limited immunity. Presidents are immune for core constitutional official actions, but not every thing a president does is an official act
The decision deliberately makes it difficult to distinguish between official and private decisions. Motive cannot be considered.

Back