Use of the phrase "as well"

cawacko

My high school counselor posted this on Facebook today:

"So, language lovers....what's up with "as well?" Don't we have "too" or "also" to use instead? "As well" is becoming a new language pet peeve - much like "myself." And, yes, I'm getting old..."

After reading this I realized I use "as well" a lot. Anyone else here find the term annoying?

No. Is there some rule that says fewer letters are better ? Outside of twitter what difference does it make ?
One beauty of language is having choices on how to relate ideas. Yes im an english major

"So, language lovers....what's up with "as well?" Don't we have "too" or "also" to use instead? "As well" is becoming a new language pet peeve - much like "myself." And, yes, I'm getting old..."

After reading this I realized I use "as well" a lot. Anyone else here find the term annoying?
I do....as well. :)

:palm: now you have to figure out PC uses of common phrases as well?

Oh, God forbid synonyms exist! We should totally drain all of the life out of language for the sake of eliminating them! Or make some unspeakable artificial language for the same purpose, as many did in the Enlightenment era.

Especially in writing, using words repetitively looks dumb, so when you've got to use a lot of conjunctions, you're going to wind up using "as well".

Oh, God forbid synonyms exist! We should totally drain all of the life out of language for the sake of eliminating them! Or make some unspeakable artificial language for the same purpose, as many did in the Enlightenment era.

Especially in writing, using words repetitively looks dumb, so when you've got to use a lot of conjunctions, you're going to wind up using "as well".

Why are you groaning me? I didn't say it my school counselor did. Like I said I use the phrase a lot myself. I simply asked if others found it annoying or just my counselor.

Yep.

In speaking, it's not like you're going to remember every word someone's said, and you're mostly just concentrating on the next point anyway. Verbal tics like "You know" and "Uhhh" can barely register, when someone uses "like" a lot it can identify them as an annoying person, but not bring about thoughts of murder. You could very well just keep using "Also", notwithstanding the fact that you just used it in the same paragraph. In writing, on the other hand, it's just right in front of you, and it looks retarded. Think of how many songs sound perfectly good to listen to, but, then you read the lyrics on some site, and it's just awful. In music, repetition is nice, it emphasizes, contributes to rhythm - it would be absurd to not have repetition in, for instance, the chorus. In writing, it's just the same words copied and pasted over and over again... dumb.

I don't think I've ever transcribed someone I didn't want to strangle afterward. Even if they're perfectly normal and well spoken before, it comes out in writing like borderline retardation - and most are not even close to well spoken. There honestly don't even seem to be sentences in the speech. Plus, you have to clean up the transcript so that the client doesn't get embarrassed with their own sheer idiocy, else you get docked. By the end of it, you're making pennies an hour, and wondering what sort of third world native English speaking country these monsters have discovered that allows them to drive rates so low.

Why use two words when one will do?

As well is two syllables and 6 letters vs. two syllables and 4 letters. R we bein chargd by the lttr or somting? Do u want 2 cnvrt 2 m0r effcnt txt speech as wll? Also, also has other uses that as well doesn't - what if you need to disambiguate from some of them, or segue into another thought in a sentence that includes in itself a different meaning of the word also? "Also, I'll have one of those cakes also". Oh, how marvelously brevious. Surely you're just a shotgun blast away from being the next Hemingway.

In speaking, it's not like you're going to remember every word someone's said, and you're mostly just concentrating on the next point anyway. Verbal tics like "You know" and "Uhhh" can barely register, when someone uses "like" a lot it can identify them as an annoying person, but not bring about thoughts of murder. You could very well just keep using "Also", notwithstanding the fact that you just used it in the same paragraph. In writing, on the other hand, it's just right in front of you, and it looks retarded. Think of how many songs sound perfectly good to listen to, but, then you read the lyrics on some site, and it's just awful. In music, repetition is nice, it emphasizes, contributes to rhythm - it would be absurd to not have repetition in, for instance, the chorus. In writing, it's just the same words copied and pasted over and over again... dumb.

I don't think I've ever transcribed someone I didn't want to strangle afterward. Even if they're perfectly normal and well spoken before, it comes out in writing like borderline retardation - and most are not even close to well spoken. There honestly don't even seem to be sentences in the speech. Plus, you have to clean up the transcript so that the client doesn't get embarrassed with their own sheer idiocy, else you get docked. By the end of it, you're making pennies an hour, and wondering what sort of third world native English speaking country these monsters have discovered that allows them to drive rates so low.

It's so true. Most people write like morons. Colleges are graduating the barely literate, sometimes with advanced degrees...most often MBAs.

Back