Valve confirms Steam for Ubuntu 12.04, L4D2 as first game

I seriously doubt that Paradox is going to re-release the games for Linux. When they launched Linux for Mac, Steam chose to re-release most of their games for Mac in order to, I suppose, support their launch. They seem to be repeating that move for Linux. It's in no way binding on the developers, and developers don't have the interest that Valve does in ensuring that Steam succeeds on the new platform. They may benefit should it do so, sure, but their competition does as well, so that's a discouraging factor that probably causes many developers to simply wait on the side lines. If the launch does succeed, though, I guess it could effect the likelihood that Paradox will release future games for Linux.

All I care about is Steam launching on the 360. And Paradox hopefully releasing aforementioned games for it. I'd probably quit my job.

Of course, I could just hook my computer via S-Video to my TV.

All I care about is Steam launching on the 360. And Paradox hopefully releasing aforementioned games for it. I'd probably quit my job.

I mean, again, if Steam were released for 360, it would likely simply be another platform for distribution of 360 games, it probably wouldn't really increase the likelihood of computer games being ported to that platform. I also doubt that Microsoft would allow it. If they chose to go in the direction of digital distribution with major titles, they'd probably just expand Xbox live marketplace, rather than allowing a third party to come in and take those profits instead. Of course, the PS3 allowed it, but Sony took a surprisingly liberal stance with a lot of issues when it comes to the PS3, a stance that Microsoft has never shown a willingness to imitate.

Also, I don't see how you'd port Paradox games to a controller. Besides, of course, having the analog stick control a mouse pointer, which is a shitty way to play a game.

Of course, I could just hook my computer via S-Video to my TV.

S-Video is absolutely terrible quality for the PC. For one thing, you're going to be limited to 480i, and it's going to be blurry and hard to look at. A lot of games don't even allow that resolution, they'll bug out.

My laptop has a relatively good graphics card and an HDMI port. So, when I'm not toting it around, I typically just hook it up to the HDTV and use it with a wireless mouse and keyboard (the keyboard in my lap, the mouse on a tray table to my right). It is a lot more comfortable than sitting hunched up in front of the computer at a desk, or laying down with the laptop (which is basically a furnace) on my chest and trying to navigate with a shitty touchpad mouse (I never use the laptop on my lap). That's actually the setup on which I'm typing this out.

I mean, again, if Steam were released for 360, it would likely simply be another platform for distribution of 360 games, it probably wouldn't really increase the likelihood of computer games being ported to that platform. I also doubt that Microsoft would allow it. If they chose to go in the direction of digital distribution with major titles, they'd probably just expand Xbox live marketplace, rather than allowing a third party to come in and take those profits instead. Of course, the PS3 allowed it, but Sony took a surprisingly liberal stance with a lot of issues when it comes to the PS3, a stance that Microsoft has never shown a willingness to imitate.

Also, I don't see how you'd port Paradox games to a controller. Besides, of course, having the analog stick control a mouse pointer, which is a shitty way to play a game.

S-Video is absolutely terrible quality for the PC. For one thing, you're going to be limited to 480i, and it's going to be blurry and hard to look at. A lot of games don't even allow that resolution, they'll bug out.

My laptop has a relatively good graphics card and an HDMI port. So, when I'm not toting it around, I typically just hook it up to the HDTV and use it with a wireless mouse and keyboard (the keyboard in my lap, the mouse on a tray table to my right). It is a lot more comfortable than sitting hunched up in front of the computer at a desk, or laying down with the laptop (which is basically a furnace) on my chest and trying to navigate with a shitty touchpad mouse (I never use the laptop on my lap). That's actually the setup on which I'm typing this out.

Hmmmm, well, the point of just hooking my computer up still stands.

I would try to get a graphics card with an HDMI port first. S-Video is seriously unusable. It doesn't even have to be particularly fancy. Pretty much any modern graphics card will have one.

My computer has one. My TV doesn't though.

Back