Veterans Face Consecutive Budget Cuts

uscitizen

Villified User
By Andrew Taylor
The Associated Press

Monday 12 February 2007

Washington - The Bush administration plans to cut funding for veterans' health care two years from now - even as badly wounded troops returning from Iraq could overwhelm the system.

Bush is using the cuts, critics say, to help fulfill his pledge to balance the budget by 2012.

After an increase sought for next year, the Bush budget would turn current trends on their head. Even though the cost of providing medical care to veterans has been growing rapidly - by more than 10 percent in many years - White House budget documents assume consecutive cutbacks in 2009 and 2010 and a freeze thereafter.

The proposed cuts are unrealistic in light of recent VA budget trends - its medical care budget has risen every year for two decades and 83 percent in the six years since Bush took office - sowing suspicion that the White House is simply making them up to make its long-term deficit figures look better.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/021207T.shtml

Somehow I don't think Rush is telling the troops about this on armed forces radio....

Does not matter Toby as more maimed will be around by then as well....
Ever go to a VA hospital for help right now toby ? It pretty much sucks, they are trying to do to much with too little currently.

Yes it does matter. The major expenses in treatment are at the initial stages. But I do have a problem with life time care for all health matters for people who only served 3 or 4 years and expect all health cost to be paid for by the VA.

And it seems that Bush has...increased the budget quite a bit

>>medical care budget has risen every year for two decades and 83 percent in the six years since Bush took office

IN addition it seems to be remaining quite high.

>> The budget for hospital and medical care for veterans is funded for the current year at $35.6 billion, and would rise to $39.6 billion in 2008 under Bush's budget. That's about 9 percent. But the budget faces a cut to $38.8 billion in 2009 and would hover around that level through 2012

So Bush increased the budget 4 billion dollars next year and yet what is the headline? LOL How decietfull are you people gonna get?

Truthout should be renamed OutofTruth. It is a prime example of distorting, lies and plain old BS.

By Andrew Taylor
The Associated Press

Monday 12 February 2007

Washington - The Bush administration plans to cut funding for veterans' health care two years from now - even as badly wounded troops returning from Iraq could overwhelm the system.

Bush is using the cuts, critics say, to help fulfill his pledge to balance the budget by 2012.

After an increase sought for next year, the Bush budget would turn current trends on their head. Even though the cost of providing medical care to veterans has been growing rapidly - by more than 10 percent in many years - White House budget documents assume consecutive cutbacks in 2009 and 2010 and a freeze thereafter.

The proposed cuts are unrealistic in light of recent VA budget trends - its medical care budget has risen every year for two decades and 83 percent in the six years since Bush took office - sowing suspicion that the White House is simply making them up to make its long-term deficit figures look better.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/021207T.shtml

Somehow I don't think Rush is telling the troops about this on armed forces radio....

Bush's priority is to keep his tax cuts for the wealthy in place.

Yes it does matter. The major expenses in treatment are at the initial stages. But I do have a problem with life time care for all health matters for people who only served 3 or 4 years and expect all health cost to be paid for by the VA.

And it seems that Bush has...increased the budget quite a bit

>>medical care budget has risen every year for two decades and 83 percent in the six years since Bush took office

IN addition it seems to be remaining quite high.

>> The budget for hospital and medical care for veterans is funded for the current year at $35.6 billion, and would rise to $39.6 billion in 2008 under Bush's budget. That's about 9 percent. But the budget faces a cut to $38.8 billion in 2009 and would hover around that level through 2012
Just had to quote this one...

So you throw the disabled vet out toby ? Man you really support the troops.

Maybe I wasn't clear on those short termers. I meant ALL heathcare costs. Of course anything caused by thier service should be covered. But not all healthcare cost. Like getting older and the normal cost associated with that should not be covered. Just because you served a couple of years doesn't mean ever upset stomach you have should be paid for by the goverment.

Someone who serves a couple of years, comes out healthy and fine...why should they have life time heath coverage?..........I don't think so.

Maybe I wasn't clear on those short termers. I meant ALL heathcare costs. Of course anything caused by thier service should be covered. But not all healthcare cost. Like getting older and the normal cost associated with that should not be covered. Just because you served a couple of years doesn't mean ever upset stomach you have should be paid for by the goverment.

It pretty much did in the past, for veterans of real wars anyway.

No US it is recent that they accept all vets even short term ones for All medical reasons. Now they do make them wait behind the lifers.

My Ex FIL was in WW2 after the war ended for a few years. He has had free VA medical care for as long as I have known him.
His brother was in combat and he had free lifetime care as well and was in a VA nursing home.

So we are supposed to put our lives on the line lose parts and minds and get no medical care form the government we were defending ? The ones that cause your life to be mangled ?
Toby this is the most despicible attitude I have seen from you.

Back