Vietnam Vets Take Notice!

signalmankenneth

Verified User
http://vva885.org/cms2/index.php/20091211102/vnvetstakenotice.html

draft_lens6984032module57179072photo_1252905091Vietnam_Memorial_Statue.jpg

That's an awesome letter. I think I've always felt the same as this major about why people are so supportive of troops now. Those statistics are mind-blowing though, and really effed up.

That's an awesome letter. I think I've always felt the same as this major about why people are so supportive of troops now. Those statistics are mind-blowing though, and really effed up.

The main point I think he is making is that Vietnam vets, who for the most part were draftees, suffered terrible psychological and physical problems when they returned and that in part explains why so many are dying before their time.

The main point I think he is making is that Vietnam vets, who for the most part were draftees, suffered terrible psychological and physical problems when they returned and that in part explains why so many are dying before their time.

all true except most people enlisted, rather than being drafted. The draft is emphasized because of large open protests to being drafted.

I stand corrected but did the majority of the enlistees have much choice in the matter?

That I cannot tell you. Probably, but I'm not sure. I know my uncle was one of the most unique circumstances ever. Drafted by the army, he enlisted in the Marines instead because his other option was jail. Crazy story.

That I cannot tell you. Probably, but I'm not sure. I know my uncle was one of the most unique circumstances ever. Drafted by the army, he enlisted in the Marines instead because his other option was jail. Crazy story.

Because of the Marine Corps' request that it not be made to draft troops during WWI, and the Dept. of the Navy's agreement with that idea, the Army is the only branch that does draft anyone while it is in place.

Thus, anyone who enlisted in the Marine Corps was going into a service in which they could never have been drafted. One must consider this when asking the question that Tom posed.

Because of the Marine Corps' request that it not be made to draft troops during WWI, and the Dept. of the Navy's agreement with that idea, the Army is the only branch that does draft anyone while it is in place.

Thus, anyone who enlisted in the Marine Corps was going into a service in which they could never have been drafted. One must consider this when asking the question that Tom posed.

Ok... I'm somewhat confused. And I'm not sure what I'm confused about.

Ok... I'm somewhat confused. And I'm not sure what I'm confused about.

Only the Army drafts troops. Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force do not draft troops during time of war. I'm pointing out that anyone who thinks a veteran of the Corps was avoiding being drafted is ignorant of the fact that the Marine could have enlisted in the Army instead (which would be avoiding getting drafted) or attempt to get into the Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, etc.

Only the Army drafts troops. Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force do not draft troops during time of war. I'm pointing out that anyone who thinks a veteran of the Corps was avoiding being drafted is ignorant of the fact that the Marine could have enlisted in the Army instead (which would be avoiding getting drafted) or attempt to get into the Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, etc.

Oh ok. I should point out my uncle joined the Corps instead of another branch because of family tradition. My grand father was a colonel (at the time looking at general) in the Corps, and his grand father was a Marine, and so on and so on down the line. Basically my family has been in the Corps since the Corps was founded.

Oh ok. I should point out my uncle joined the Corps instead of another branch because of family tradition. My grand father was a colonel (at the time looking at general) in the Corps, and his grand father was a Marine, and so on and so on down the line. Basically my family has been in the Corps since the Corps was founded.

Sweet, that's why McCain joined the Navy, because his three predecessors had been admirals. He broke the chain by getting out as a captain.

I have two uncles and my best friend's dad who were all in the Air Force, but my dad was a Marine, so I wasn't living up to any tradition...

Sweet, that's why McCain joined the Navy, because his three predecessors had been admirals. He broke the chain by getting out as a captain.

I have two uncles and my best friend's dad who were all in the Air Force, but my dad was a Marine, so I wasn't living up to any tradition...

Yeah, I broke tradition by getting out after one contract. Crazy story though, my grand father was John Glenns' flight instructor.

Back