Vikings had a parasite that protected them from lung diseases

USFREEDOM911

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Vikings had a parasite that protected them from lung diseases

A recent archaeological excavation of Viking latrine pits in Denmark has revealed something utterly amazing, yet quite disgusting. The latrine pits revealed that 2,000 years ago, many Viking populations suffered from massive infestations of intestinal worms.

Another interesting thing that the archaeologists found was that these infestations had helped the Vikings to develop protection against certain diseases. However, because of that, their descendants now are predisposed to emphysema and other lung conditions. The way the Vikings’ genes developed meant that they protected the vital organs against the disease that was caused by the worms. Now that same inherited trait can lead to lung disease in smokers; in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, otherwise known as COPD. This lung disease affects over 300 million people, or 5% of the global population.

The only inherited risk factor is alpha-1-antitrypsin, otherwise known as A1AT deficiency. The risk is especially compounded if individuals smoke tobacco. Researchers believe that this trait evolved in order to protect people from the worm infestations. A1AT protects the lungs and liver from enzymes known as proteases. They are produced by cells of the immune system, but also by parasitic worms as well. If the A1AT is absent from the body, the proteases can break down the lung tissue and cause COPD and emphysema.

Yeh he is going to tell that you Fuckly is his brother, in which case they must be Siamese twins! Ban his arse!

I thought the article was interesting; because it shows how one thing that is normally detrimental to someone (ie: the intestinal worms) allowed hem to develop a protection from another possible life threatening problem (ie: protection of the vital organs against the disease) and now that their descendants no longer have the intestinal worms, the lack of them has the possibility of now developing some very severe, if not fatal, problems.

This would seem to tie into a report I saw, years ago, where not allowing your kids to play outside, get dirty, have pets, etc. can contribute to them developing problems that weren't so prevalent a few generations ago.

I thought the article was interesting; because it shows how one thing that is normally detrimental to someone (ie: the intestinal worms) allowed hem to develop a protection from another possible life threatening problem (ie: protection of the vital organs against the disease) and now that their descendants no longer have the intestinal worms, the lack of them has the possibility of now developing some very severe, if not fatal, problems.

This would seem to tie into a report I saw, years ago, where not allowing your kids to play outside, get dirty, have pets, etc. can contribute to them developing problems that weren't so prevalent a few generations ago.

I couldn't agree more about not allowing kids to play outside, climb trees and get dirty. There is no doubt that it how they develop immunity to various diseases. I suspect that the huge increases in asthma and eczema are due to overprotective parents and computer games.

I couldn't agree more about not allowing kids to play outside, climb trees and get dirty. There is no doubt that it how they develop immunity to various diseases. I suspect that the huge increases in asthma and eczema are due to overprotective parents and computer games.

I agree and I'm thinking that there's also a correlation with hay fever and other allergies.

Back