Vikings navigated with Crystals

evince

Truthmatters
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/viking-seafarers-may-have-navigated-legendary-crystals

For centuries, Viking seafarers ruled the North Atlantic, braving open seas peppered with icebergs to travel thousands of kilometers to their colonies in Iceland and Greenland—all without compasses. How they performed such a feat, especially given the region’s heavy clouds and fog, has long puzzled scientists. Now, one group of researchers has an answer, based on computer simulations—and legendary crystals.
For decades, researchers have suggested that enigmatic “sunstones” mentioned in Viking tales such as “The Saga of King Olaf” were the key to navigating under less-than-sunny skies. The sunstones of legend could identify the sun’s location even if it was occluded by clouds; however, no such stones have been found in the handful of Viking shipwrecks that exist. “This is all speculation, really,” says Stephen Harding, a biochemist at the University of Nottingham in the United Kingdom who wasn’t involved in the new study. But he notes that possible evidence of sunstones exists—including a rough, whitish crystal found near other navigational aids in a 16th century English shipwreck. It’s not unreasonable, he adds, that English sailors learned navigational tricks from the Vikings, who plied the same waters and raided the British Isles centuries earlier.

When navigators took readings every 4 hours, their ships reached Greenland between 32% and 59% of the time. Readings every 5 or 6 hours meant the ship had a dramatically poorer chance of making landfall. But for voyages on which the seafarers took sunstone readings at intervals of 3 hours or less, ships made landfall between 92% and 100% of the time, the researchers report today in Royal Society Open Science. In addition to the frequency of readings, key to a successful journey was using the sunstone for an equal number of morning and afternoon readings, the researchers say. (That’s because morning readings can cause a ship to veer too far northward and afternoon readings can cause it to veer too far southward, sometimes missing Greenland altogether.)
All three types of crystals that the team studied—calcite, a form of calcium carbonate; cordierite, an iron- and magnesium-rich silicate; and tourmaline, a boron-rich silicate—worked well at intervals of 3 hours or less. Cordierite scored a perfect record of successful voyages. But when readings were taken at intervals of 5 and 6 hours, calcite, a mineral well-known to the Vikings as “Icelandic spar,” performed slightly worse than the other two stones.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/viking-seafarers-may-have-navigated-legendary-crystals

For centuries, Viking seafarers ruled the North Atlantic, braving open seas peppered with icebergs to travel thousands of kilometers to their colonies in Iceland and Greenland—all without compasses. How they performed such a feat, especially given the region’s heavy clouds and fog, has long puzzled scientists. Now, one group of researchers has an answer, based on computer simulations—and legendary crystals.
For decades, researchers have suggested that enigmatic “sunstones” mentioned in Viking tales such as “The Saga of King Olaf” were the key to navigating under less-than-sunny skies. The sunstones of legend could identify the sun’s location even if it was occluded by clouds; however, no such stones have been found in the handful of Viking shipwrecks that exist. “This is all speculation, really,” says Stephen Harding, a biochemist at the University of Nottingham in the United Kingdom who wasn’t involved in the new study. But he notes that possible evidence of sunstones exists—including a rough, whitish crystal found near other navigational aids in a 16th century English shipwreck. It’s not unreasonable, he adds, that English sailors learned navigational tricks from the Vikings, who plied the same waters and raided the British Isles centuries earlier.

They often used Arab or Persian navigators who used a device called the Kamal.

Kamal - Ages of Exploration

exploration.marinersmuseum.org/object/kamal/

Used to indicate the distance traveled north or south, the kamal was used to guide Arab ships to port. ... Kamàl, reproduction, 1977, by Nautica, Peter Ifland Collection, The Mariners’ Museum, (1998.39.7). ... The kamal uses the position of Polaris (the North Star) in the sky to help a ...

This guy traveled with the Vikings and kept a detailed account of them.

Ahmad ibn Fadlan - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_ibn_Fadlan

Ibn Fadlan was a 10th-century Arab traveler, famous for his account of his travels as a member of an embassy of the Abbasid Caliph of Baghdad to the king of the Volga Bulgars, known as his Risala ("account" or "journal") His account is most notable for providing a detailed description of the Volga Vikings, including an ...

This crystal stuff sounds pretty cool.
I recently indulged in a Great Courses lecture series on the Vikings, and it is extraordinary to realize the amount of influence they had on Europe over the short three centuries they were really at their peak. Not only intrepid explorers, navigators, and craftsmen, they left a literary tradition, a linguistic influence, and a profound mark on the course of European history through the high middle ages and well beyond. It seems that Charlemagne, the Carolingian Empire and the civilizing influences they had on Europe can be directly attributed to European reaction to the Viking influence. I certainly owe some of my DNA to the Swedish Rus. And I had no idea until recently how many Danish words there are in modern English as a legacy of the Danish conquest of England. Wrapping up, I would certainly like to study these barbarians in greater detail!

This crystal stuff sounds pretty cool.
I recently indulged in a Great Courses lecture series on the Vikings, and it is extraordinary to realize the amount of influence they had on Europe over the short three centuries they were really at their peak. Not only intrepid explorers, navigators, and craftsmen, they left a literary tradition, a linguistic influence, and a profound mark on the course of European history through the high middle ages and well beyond. It seems that Charlemagne, the Carolingian Empire and the civilizing influences they had on Europe can be directly attributed to European reaction to the Viking influence. I certainly owe some of my DNA to the Swedish Rus. And I had no idea until recently how many Danish words there are in modern English as a legacy of the Danish conquest of England. Wrapping up, I would certainly like to study these barbarians in greater detail!

Then you must read Ahmad Fadlan's journal.

http://www.icenews.is/2017/03/15/arabic-sources-describe-the-vikings-as-beautiful-but-filthy/

Arab writer Ahmad ibn Fadlan remarked on the personal hygiene of the Vikings approximately thousand years ago after meeting with Viking voyagers: They are the ... He recently presented his doctoral dissertation at the University of Bergen in Norway about the subject of Scandinavian's in the Middle East.

This is the first English translation of the famous risala, letters by the tenth-century traveler Ibn Fadlan, one of the great Medieval travelers in world history, akin to Ibn Batutta. Ibn Fadlan was an Arab missionary sent by the Caliph in Baghdad to the king of the Bulghars. He journeyed from Baghdad to Bukhara in Central Asia and then continued across the desert to the town of Bulghar, near present Kazan. He describes the tribes he meets on his way and gives an account of their customs. His is the earliest account of a meeting with the Vikings, called Rus,

https://www.amazon.com/Ibn-Fadlans-Journey-Russia-Tenth-Century/dp/155876366X

This is the first English translation of the famous risala, letters by the tenth-century traveler Ibn Fadlan, one of the great Medieval travelers in world history, akin to Ibn Batutta. Ibn Fadlan was an Arab missionary sent by the Caliph in Baghdad to the king of the Bulghars. He journeyed from Baghdad to Bukhara in Central Asia and then continued across the desert to the town of Bulghar, near present Kazan. He describes the tribes he meets on his way and gives an account of their customs. His is the earliest account of a meeting with the Vikings, called Rus,

https://www.amazon.com/Ibn-Fadlans-Journey-Russia-Tenth-Century/dp/155876366X

That one of the amazing things about the Vikings to me. Their influence, and their legacy in history extends from the Black Sea and the Byzantine Empire, to Iceland and the North Atlantic, to the very footsteps of North America. Given a high Middle Ages context, that is really remarkable.

That one of the amazing things about the Vikings to me. Their influence, and their legacy in history extends from the Black Sea and the Byzantine Empire, to Iceland and the North Atlantic, to the very footsteps of North America. Given a high Middle Ages context, that is really remarkable.

I know.. fascinating stuff. Part of Ibn Fadlan journal used to be on the internet.. "Vikings in the East".. Must have taken it down. I can't find it to link here.

I know.. fascinating stuff. Part of Ibn Fadlan journal used to be on the internet.. "Vikings in the East".. Must have taken it down. I can't find it to link here.

Thanks for reminding me about him, I had forgotten that tale.

I took a stab at googling for his manuscript as well, and came up empty. Rats. Nonetheless, there appears to be a wealth of scholarly writing about him. Riveting stuff, man!

I got the impression that the Rus in the east were ultimately the wealthiest and most successful Vikings, although in the west the Danish raids in England and France are more well known. You could really have a whole college course just on the Rus...and it would be worth every penny!

Last edited:

Probably crystal meth, which you've obviously had plenty of experience with. :D

Back