We old farts can get away with anything

uscitizen

Villified User
Woman, 85, Agrees to Fine in Fatal Crash

By JIM SUHR
Associated Press Writer

BELLEVILLE, Ill. (AP) -- An 85-year-old widow whose car slammed through an elementary school cafeteria, killing an 8-year-old boy, pleaded guilty Thursday to a traffic citation, agreed to pay a $500 fine and gave up her driver's license.

Grace Keim acknowledged she failed to reduce speed Jan. 29 before plowing through the school in the St. Louis suburb of Shiloh, killing second-grader Ryan Wesling and injuring two other students.

Prosecutors have said the accident was unintentional and they don't plan to file criminal charges against Keim.

Ryan's family is pressing a wrongful-death lawsuit against Keim.

When reached by telephone Thursday night at her Belleville home, Keim told a reporter, "No comment, sir. Sorry," then hung up.

Messages left with Keim's attorneys, the judge and prosecutor Robert Haida were not immediately returned after business hours.

Keim was en route to a driving class at a nearby senior citizen's center when she drove her 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier up a dead-end drive at Shiloh Elementary School, then tried to turn around. According to investigatory reports, Keim said she "panicked and felt disoriented," and her car "went crazy."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAR_HITS_SCHOOL?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Sad story.

Older people really should have to take driving tests once a year.

Driving is a hard thing to give up and people always think they are better drivers than they really are.

Yes it is a difficult situation and NO politicos want to touch it, (AARP on their butts) so it goes on being a problem.

But kinda makes you wonder if we will have grey panthers if they cut off SS, what would they have to lose ?

Sad story.

Older people really should have to take driving tests once a year.

Driving is a hard thing to give up and people always think they are better drivers than they really are.
One a year is too often, but I'm, 78, and I haven't had a drivers test in thirty-odd years. I also haven't been involved in ANY kind of accident in the same period of time.

Frankly, I think the famlies should cause their older drivers to get such tests when they show signs of errotic driving. (For their own financial protection)

Back