Well,.....were getting another one I guess. RUFF RUFF......

Stone

Contributor
Another rescue dog from the humane society. That was always the plan when we got the first one back in January. Wife says its time now. Oh boy,.....double trouble now. Thats it though...no more...LOL Two dogs at a time is enuff to tackle for anybody. The good news is our little buddy is getting a BUDDY! :) Should take about a week I guess.

Another rescue dog from the humane society. That was always the plan when we got the first one back in January. Wife says its time now. Oh boy,.....double trouble now. Thats it though...no more...LOL Two dogs at a time is enuff to tackle for anybody. The good news is our little buddy is getting a BUDDY! :) Should take about a week I guess.

We are one and done with that. Roxie turned out to be a pretty great dog but it took years, and there was a lot of destruction in the interim.

We are one and done with that. Roxie turned out to be a pretty great dog but it took years, and there was a lot of destruction in the interim.

Its always a gamble. Keeping fingers crossed with this new one. I dont want to come home to a torn up house...Hope she's good right from the start...

Its always a gamble. Keeping fingers crossed with this new one. I dont want to come home to a torn up house...Hope she's good right from the start...

We did it because at the time a good Newf was going for about $1500 in Washington (now $2k, more on the East Coast) and money was tight. My Wife found a Newf/Black Lab rescue for basically free and we had three older kids at home who could help so we went with that. After Roxie destroyed an entire living room set and dug up over half of my pretty elaborate back yard, to include ripping up a fairly new pond liner in by Koi pond, this turned out to be a very bad financial move.

Now as I said she turned out to be pretty awesome and lived to 12 so we had no regrets in the end, except that we left too much to the kids because my wife was deployed a lot and I was very busy and they did not always do what they had agreed to do. We had been well aware that this was a very traumatized hound when we got Roxie at 7 months, a handful. She was about to be put down, which is why she was free.

So we feel like we have done our part.

I wish you luck on your new adventure.

I've got two rescues. One I took to the shelter and when nobody adopted her after 3 months I went back and got her. They have cost me a fortune--heart worms, knee operation, thyroid medication, Cushings disease. But they are worth it. When they get ready for their afternoon walks they get on both sides of me and start kissing my cheeks. One wants to go to bed at 7:00 every night and sits and stares at me until I get the bed ready.

I've got two rescues. One I took to the shelter and when nobody adopted her after 3 months I went back and got her. They have cost me a fortune--heart worms, knee operation, thyroid medication, Cushings disease. But they are worth it. When they get ready for their afternoon walks they get on both sides of me and start kissing my cheeks. One wants to go to bed at 7:00 every night and sits and stares at me until I get the bed ready.

Roxie had Cushings in the end, almost two years. That was an adventure.

Lots of times the new dog will take cues from the first dog, at least puppies do. I wish you the best. Patience always pays off and use positive reinforcement training. Great of you to adopt because, at least here, the shelters are at full capacity because so many losers are dumping their dogs everywhere.

Lots of times the new dog will take cues from the first dog, at least puppies do. I wish you the best. Patience always pays off and use positive reinforcement training. Great of you to adopt because, at least here, the shelters are at full capacity because so many losers are dumping their dogs everywhere.

This will be our third from the Humane society. First two worked out great. I have a feeling this one will too. Her background is pretty good considering the back stories so many of them have, She wasnt abused, or starved, just dumped there by the owner . We'll take care of her, give her lots of walks , love, and a home of her own forever. Plus it will be good for the other one. I just hope they dont get into trouble together....Dont want to come home and find half the house knocked over! :laugh:

We got Lord S two weeks after we put Roxie down, before we had always tried to have at least a few months overlap. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made....Lord S was a lot more work to train than I expected.

Also: I was reading that COVID has been a travesty because of what people have done....so many people got dogs at the front of COVID and then gave them up as life got more back to normal, they were not committed. This is not a complete surprise because in the 90's the Germans mostly stopped offering dogs to American forces at any price, because only a minority were taking them back to America when they got orders. The behavior of the Americans had deteriorated, I am told that in the decades before than Americans mostly did not ditch their dogs at the end of their German tour.

We got Lord S two weeks after we put Roxie down, before we had always tried to have at least a few months overlap. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made....Lord S was a lot more work to train than I expected.

Also: I was reading that COVID has been a travesty because of what people have done....so many people got dogs at the front of COVID and then gave them up as life got more back to normal, they were not committed. This is not a complete surprise because in the 90's the Germans mostly stopped offering dogs to American forces at any price, because only a minority were taking them back to America when they got orders. The behavior of the Americans had deteriorated, I am told that in the decades before than Americans mostly did not ditch their dogs at the end of their German tour.
Yep, it really sucks. Many people suck because they are irresponsible and don't care.

He has some medication for it ($138 month). He seems to pant less with the pills.

We did great with the meds, till we did not. Twice we waited too long to put down a dog, one was Roxie, I feel bad about that. But Roxie crashed so fast.

Thank You:loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu:

Thanks to all of you who've given a new life to the pups who absolutely deserve one...it's SO Worth it, as you know....:loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu::loveu:

Back