What are some of your favorite solo recordings by George Harrison?

My favorites include "My Sweet Lord", "What Is Life", his cover of Bob Dylan's "If Not For You", "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)", "This Song", "Cracker Box Palace", and "When We Was Fab".

I'm kinda partial- TO, LIKE, ALL OF THEM!

I can't think of any musical effort he ever made that wasn't great!

So many times, Lennon, McCartney, and Ringo would slave all day in the studio. George would just drop by the studio, record his parts in one take, or just drop off a tape to the engineer, and say, "Here, Use this"! And just like magic, his parts actually make the Beatles songs work. The Beatles were lucky to have such an innovative lead guitar genius and song writer/arranger/producer of his own merit.

Last edited:

So many times, Lennon, McCartney, and Ringo would slave all day in the studio. George would just drop by the studio, record his parts in one take, or just drop off a tape to the engineer, and say, "Here, Use this"! And just like magic, his parts actually make the Beatles songs work. The Beatles were lucky to have such an innovative lead guitar genius!

Yep, George WAS a fine guitarist AND a very good songwriter. He's sometimes overlooked by "experts" in reference to his guitar playing ability. And that's a shame.

So many times, Lennon, McCartney, and Ringo would slave all day in the studio. George would just drop by the studio, record his parts in one take, or just drop off a tape to the engineer, and say, "Here, Use this"! And just like magic, his parts actually make the Beatles songs work. The Beatles were lucky to have such an innovative lead guitar genius and song writer/arranger/producer of his own merit.

Coincidentally, I'm listening to a Rutles compilation at the moment. These were the guys that hilariously parodied the Beatles, featuring Neil Innes, Eric Idle, and others, in a made for TV movie, and several recordings. Some of this is incredibly funny and spot-on. And the musicianship is top-notch, as well. Interestingly enough, Eric Idle is given NO musical credit on the compilation. This DOES make sense because Idle isn't and wasn't a musician. I'm just a bit surprised that he isn't even listed as a vocalist on any of the recordings.

Yep, George WAS a fine guitarist AND a very good songwriter. He's sometimes overlooked by "experts" in reference to his guitar playing ability. And that's a shame.

John Lennon was also a master rhythm guitarist and he didn't get much credit either for that.

John kept things simple playing mostly open or Barre Chords, but the rhythms were very unique, special, and innovative.

George would purposely play alternate chords or triads, or double stops with all the passing notes, fills, or droning notes to embellish John's chord work.

Somebody asked Joe Walsh how he learned how to play guitar, he said, "Look, you want to learn how to play guitar, Learn all the Beatles songs, and you just become a guitar player- NOT UNTIL"! LOL!

Coincidentally, I'm listening to a Rutles compilation at the moment. These were the guys that hilariously parodied the Beatles, featuring Neil Innes, Eric Idle, and others, in a made for TV movie, and several recordings. Some of this is incredibly funny and spot-on. And the musicianship is top-notch, as well. Interestingly enough, Eric Idle is given NO musical credit on the compilation. This DOES make sense because Idle isn't and wasn't a musician. I'm just a bit surprised that he isn't even listed as a vocalist on any of the recordings.

Eric Idle was very talented, as he could also pull off a Roger Daltry that made you look twice- OR MORE!

Give me love (beautiful guitar work), What is life (probably my favorite), My Sweet Lord, This is Love...

George was IMO the best musician in the group and would experiment with different instruments and unusual combinations of cords that made his songs interesting rather than just pop tripe.

He was also a major player in other efforts like the Travelling Whilburys (Handle With Care, End of the Line (a tribute to the death of Roy Orbison), etc.), and he bankrolled Terry Gilliam's (of Monty Python fame) movies like Brazil and Time Bandits when the major studios refused to.

George Harrison was most likely self taught like most Guitarists of that era- from practicing out of Mel Bay and Mickey Baker guitar course books.

George was probably just more studious and motivated than most.

George wanted to be a guitar player- not some rock star!

Back