What do you call Taiwan, Xinjiang, Tibet, the Diayou Islands, and Tianamen?

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Three Chinese provinces, an indisputable piece of China's sovereign territory (part of Taiwan province), and a city square in Beijing with an otherwise unnoteworthy history, unworthy of deeper investigation.

No, I saw on Jeopardy recently that there is a number that is loosely based upon the date of the incident that was being used to get past filters.

No, I saw on Jeopardy recently that there is a number that is loosely based upon the date of the incident that was being used to get past filters.

I am sure there are all sorts of ways that are devised to get round the Great Firewall of China but the censors catch on pretty damned quick. I expect they even watch Jeopardy for clues.

True, it's probably already obsolete. That said, it could be difficult to block a random number, because it could potentially cause a lot of problems for other online traffic. Imagine the volume of business and scientific related searches which could get blocked simply by banning a number.

Edit: I looked it up, and apparently it was "535" (May 35th, denoting June 4th with excess days). Chinese censors have previously blocked "64" and all of the combinations of roman numberals. They have already caught up with 535, so the ongoing war of new memes continues to something new...

True, it's probably already obsolete. That said, it could be difficult to block a random number, because it could potentially cause a lot of problems for other online traffic. Imagine the volume of business and scientific related searches which could get blocked simply by banning a number.

Edit: I looked it up, and apparently it was "535" (May 35th, denoting June 4th with excess days). Chinese censors have previously blocked "64" and all of the combinations of roman numberals. They have already caught up with 535, so the ongoing war of new memes continues to something new...

they could use 69.....it would block so much of the internet that it would be impossible to prevent it......

What's the number they use to reference Tianamen in China to skate around the online censors?

In the Chinese speaking world, it's known as June 4, or 6-4. This is really more accurate, as the killing didn't actually occur in Tiananmen square itself. And using this doesn't skate around the Chinese censors, they know what it refers to and heavily monitor references to it. There have been attempts to skate around it by referring to 64, 8*8, May 35th, etc... but these attempts to get around it are usually picked up fairly quickly and cracked down on as well.

I see you've already researched the topic.

With services like Weibo, the censorship is incredibly labor intensive, so that almost all posts are reviewed by an actual human being before they can actually be posted (this takes thousands of people). If you were clearly referring to your birthday or something, maybe they'd let it go. With internet searches, I'm not sure if they'd entirely block a number like 64, but any non-blocked web engine like Baidu is going to make sure that no results that refer to the actual incident are shown.

God, it's like living in North Korea. I wonder if they'll think to adopt the names of American attrocities as their Chinese memes. :D

China is really a lot better than North Korea. In North Korea, there's not much need for internet censorship because no one owns a computer.

Access to the domestic only Kwangmyong is restricted to certain state employeed. Access to the full, global internet is restricted to a much smaller group. You don't need permission to access the internet in China, and censorship can easily be evaded through the use of VPN's.

North Korea is actually only allocated roughly 1000 IPv4 addresses, so only about that many people and institutions are even capable of accessing the internet.

North Korea is actually only allocated roughly 1000 IPv4 addresses, so only about that many people and institutions are even capable of accessing the internet.

Actually it is a block of 1024 contiguous addresses from 175.45.176.0 to 175.45.179.255. They also have a block of 256 China Netcom addresses from 210.52.109.0 to 210.52.109.255.

Actually it is a block of 1024 contiguous addresses from 175.45.176.0 to 175.45.179.255. They also have a block of 256 China Netcom addresses from 210.52.109.0 to 210.52.109.255.

Yep, I read wikipedia too. It's where I got that from. I said "roughly" because I was being lazy. I didn't bother with the 256 China Netcom addresses, sure, but 1260 is still "roughly" 1000. Point is, it's not a lot.

Yep, I read wikipedia too. It's where I got that from. I said "roughly" because I was being lazy. I didn't bother with the 256 China Netcom addresses, sure, but 1260 is still "roughly" 1000. Point is, it's not a lot.

No you are right, it's not a lot. Anyway with IPv6 they will be able to give every citizen an IP address, maybe literally with a chip implant at birth. I daresay that they also use Network Address Transalation (NAT) and private addressing ranges. By the bye, I used this website to get those address ranges not Wikipedia.

http://www.northkoreatech.org/2011/06/26/north-koreas-chinese-ip-addresses/

Last edited:
Back