What dreams are like

Part Multi 313

Verified User
When you dream it's all in your mind, its all you, you exist and cannot be compromised yet the rest of your dream that isn't you isn't in your control. Everything in a dream that isn't you is seemingly random. Examining this fine line gives neat insight on how our brains operate. Your "self" is separated and preserved in the dream. You can think and reason to an extent although most of the time you aren't aware you are dreaming till you awaken. If you do realize you are dreaming attempts to control your dream are always futile outside of your "self". There seems to be a real control factor boundary set in place to deny control of your dream should you become aware that you are dreaming. I think the reason for this boundary is simple sanity protection. If your "self" were to be allowed to choose the setting and narrative of the dream it would have to merge with that other part of the mind, and in doing so your sense of "self" would become abstracted and indistinguishable from your inanimate settings. This confusion would break your sane singular understanding of "self" therefore it is necessary for the setting and narrative of your dreams to be constructed randomly from your "memory bank". This points to the suggestion that what makes up the majority of your "self" is free will and choice and singularity.

Think of it like a dot on a piece of paper. Your "self" is the dot and the paper your dream. If you were to choose what was on the paper you would fill the paper with dots of "self" and once done choosing what the dream was you wouldn't be able to remember which dot was the real you and possibly your "self" would become all of the dots. Since "self" is singular, becoming all of the dots to determine the setting would make your brain explode with confusion.

What I'm trying to suggest is that your "self" is a single point in your consciousness seemingly rigged to a default.

Last edited:
When you dream it's all in your mind, its all you, you exist and cannot be compromised yet the rest of your dream that isn't you isn't in your control. Everything in a dream that isn't you is seemingly random. Examining this fine line gives neat insight on how our brains operate. Your "self" is separated and preserved in the dream. You can think and reason to an extent although most of the time you aren't aware you are dreaming till you awaken. If you do realize you are dreaming attempts to control your dream are always futile outside of your "self". There seems to be a real control factor boundary set in place to deny control of your dream should you become aware that you are dreaming. I think the reason for this boundary is simple sanity protection. If your "self" were to be allowed to choose the setting and narrative of the dream it would have to merge with that other part of the mind, and in doing so your sense of "self" would become abstracted and indistinguishable from your inanimate settings. This confusion would break your sane singular understanding of "self" therefore it is necessary for the setting and narrative of your dreams to be constructed randomly from your "memory bank". This points to the suggestion that what makes up the majority of your "self" is free will and choice and singularity.

Think of it like a dot on a piece of paper. Your "self" is the dot and the paper your dream. If you were to choose what was on the paper you would fill the paper with dots of "self" and once done choosing what the dream was you wouldn't be able to remember which dot was the real you and possibly your "self" would become all of the dots. Since "self" is singular, becoming all of the dots to determine the setting would make your brain explode with confusion.

What I'm trying to suggest is that your "self" is a single point in your consciousness seemingly rigged to a default.

I have had dreams,that seem like a outside force
Wrote the script!
And dreams that seem more true reality than this world.

My dreams are quite intellectual. When I was fourteen I was deep into psychology, until I had a dream which was continually interrupted by Freudian, Jungian and Adlerian psychologisst offering interpretations. I gave up all that guff and started reading Marx, as Nature intended! :)

Back