What influence did Manifest Destiny have on U.S. policy up to WWI?

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
this is a one on one debate between onceler and yurt. onceler picked the topic and i'm letting him have first statement. thanks.

side note: onceler, i know nothing about this topic, so i will have to research it, but i'll cite everything i use. if you use material that should be cited, please do so.

side note: onceler, i know nothing about this topic, so i will have to research it, but i'll cite everything i use. if you use material that should be cited, please do so.

This is actually an excellent illustration of how you debate. Your knowledge on most topics is pretty scant, especially anything political. You'll google something and basically regurgitate the 1st thing you find as gospel, if it agrees with your basic ideology.

It's a poor foundation for discussion...

This is actually an excellent illustration of how you debate. Your knowledge on most topics is pretty scant, especially anything political. You'll google something and basically regurgitate the 1st thing you find as gospel, if it agrees with your basic ideology.

This isn't my place, but that's pretty fuckin low dude.

are you serious? good lord, you agreed to leave the ad homs and lies out, you picked the topic and said...ready go

amazing how you quickly backed out of the debate when i agreed to it

Well since no one is going to discuss the topic I guess I will.

Manifest Destiny had a profound affect. I think it's main objective was to declare to the rest of the world, particularly the European colonial powers, that it was a declaration of our national identity as Americans and for them to stay the hell out of our way and not to interfere with how we structured and ordered the development of our nation. I also think that the Monroe Doctrine was a logical extension of manifest destiny. Mainly because we could not be free to pursue our "Manifest Destiny" unless we were free from European influence in the western hemisphere. Think about it? Prior to "Manifest Destiny" we really had no notion of "America" or of ourselves as "Americans". We saw our selves as Virginians, Georgians, Carolinians, Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers, etc. Manifest Destiny gave us our identify our culture and thus our history as "Americans."

Last edited:
sorry guys....i honestly thought onceler was serious about having a debate

So here's the issue: what influence did Manifest Destiny have on U.S. policy up to WWI? Ready....go!

i don't understand why some people feel more comfortable with insults, ad homs, etc...instead of an actual debate or discussion....given...this is a board about debate

the offer still stands for onceler and tom

Well since no one is going to discuss the topic I guess I will.

Manifest Destiny had a profound affect. I think it's main objective was to declare to the rest of the world, particularly the European colonial powers, that it was a declaration of our national identity as Americans and for them to stay the hell out of our way and not to interfere with how we structured and ordered the development of our nation. I also think that the Monroe Doctrine was a logical extension of manifest destiny. Mainly because we could not be free to pursue our "Manifest Destiny" unless we were free from European influence in the western hemisphere. Think about it? Prior to "Manifest Destiny" we really had no notion of "America" or of ourselves as "Americans". We saw our selves as Virginians, Georgians, Carolinians, Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers, etc. Manifest Destiny gave us our identify our culture and thus our history as "Americans."

from what i have read so far, manifest destiny was used in rhetoric or propagana, but it was only a small amount and some posit that there was a difference between "old" and "new" manifest destiny. so far i dont' see anything to indicate that it had a profound effect, there are very reasons and theories as to why we entered the war, but i always understood one of the main reasons was we felt germany was growing to powerful and that this could weaken the US.

from what i have read so far, manifest destiny was used in rhetoric or propagana, but it was only a small amount and some posit that there was a difference between "old" and "new" manifest destiny. so far i dont' see anything to indicate that it had a profound effect, there are very reasons and theories as to why we entered the war, but i always understood one of the main reasons was we felt germany was growing to powerful and that this could weaken the US.

"Manifest Destiny" was more then just rhetoric or propaganda at that time. It was an ingrained philosophy and was essentially public policy, via the Monroe Doctrine, in the USA. Had it not been such ingrained policy the Zimmerman telegram would have never elicited the disproportionate response that it did from the American Government and Woodrow Wilson.

Last edited:
"Manifest Destiny" was more then just rhetoric or propaganda at that time. It was an ingrained philosophy and was essentially public policy, via the Monroe Doctrine, in the USA. Had it not been such ingrained policy the Zimmerman telegram would have never elicited the disproportionate response that it did from the American Government and Woodrow Wilson.

what were the other reasons we entered WWI? we waited three years....seems if manifest destiny was that profound, we would have entered it earlier

Back