What is wrong with this story ?

uscitizen

Villified User
I know Sol and leaning will know.

Burned! Washington state woman shot by stove

Oct 9, 2:28 PM (ET)

SEKIU, Wash. (AP) - A woman in Washington state says her cast-iron stove shot her in the leg. Cory Davis tells the Peninsula Daily News that she had just stoked the heating stove in her home Sunday when she heard a loud bang and was struck in her left calf.

She says she initially thought "that was one fast hot coal flying at me."

In fact, she was hit by part of a 22-gauge shotgun shell that she had accidentally put into the stove with newspapers she used to light it. A box of shells had spilled nearby a few weeks before.

Davis says she removed the metal fragment herself Sunday and sought treatment for the shallow wound the next day.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081009/D93N4SC00.html

Maybe it was a .22LR ratshot round? Tiny pellets in a .22

But a .22 guage doesn't exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun#Gauge

The caliber of shotguns is measured in terms of gauge (U.S.) or bore (U.K.). The gauge number is determined by the number of solid spheres of a diameter equal to the inside diameter of the barrel that could be made from a pound of lead. So a 10 gauge shotgun nominally should have an inside diameter equal to that of a sphere made from one-tenth of a pound of lead. By far the most common gauges are 12 (0.729 in, 18.5 mm diameter) and 20 (0.614 in, 15.6 mm), although .410 (= 36), 32, 28, 24, 16, and 10 (19.7 mm) gauge and 9 mm (.355 in.) and .22 (5.5mm) rimfire calibres have also been produced (although 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, .410, and .22 are the only legal hunting gauges/calibers in most U.S. states).

Actually, that is correct except for the .410 bore. It is not a guage but a caliber or bore.

Naming of rounds has always been a goofy area.

The .410 is actually the same diameter as a .45 Long Colt.

A .44 Magnum is actually closer to a .43 than a .44.

The 30-06 is a .30 caliber gun that was (supposedly) put into production in 1906.

The Savage 250-3000 even used the speed of the bullet as criteria for naming, since the .25 caliber bullet was one of the first production rounds to top 3000 fps.

The closest one I can think of to being accurate in naming is the .308. Since its a .30 caliber and the rifling grooves are .004 inches deep, the outside diameter is actually .308 inches. But so it the 30-06 and other .30 caliber rounds.

Ok, so much for cartridge trivia.

The caliber of shotguns is measured in terms of gauge... (First sentence of the paragraph I quoted from the Wiki article...)

Unless you are a brit, then it is "bore".

Damo, what USC means is that the news article incorrectly identified the .22 as a shotgun shell. But there is no .22 gauge shotgun.

Back