What is your opinion...

Jarod

Contributor
Okay lets pretend a ballet dancer is in a car accident with a drunk driver. The Ballet dancer is driving home from a performance and is hit when the Drunk runs a red light.

The Dancer breaks his right hand and must have surgery. The Medical bills are just over $7000. He could not perform the remainder of the season but was paid by his company anyway. He makes about $45,000 a year and the experts are saying this injury will shorten his career about 5 years. The dude was also fired from a summer job he had because he could not perform the steps necessary to complete the job, that would have paid him $15000.

He now suffers lots of pain from the wrist injury especally when he is working and his ballet company is conserned about the safety when he does lifts.

If he sues what should he get?

Why would he only make 45,000 as a professional Ballet dancer? He should make far more than that! He must not be very good.

Anyway, he should get whatever the Lawyer can convince the Jury that he deserves. As well as some punitives.

Hummm....

Okay lets pretend a ballet dancer is in a car accident with a drunk driver. The Ballet dancer is driving home from a performance and is hit when the Drunk runs a red light.

The Dancer breaks his right hand and must have surgery. The Medical bills are just over $7000. He could not perform the remainder of the season but was paid by his company anyway. He makes about $45,000 a year and the experts are saying this injury will shorten his career about 5 years. The dude was also fired from a summer job he had because he could not perform the steps necessary to complete the job, that would have paid him $15000.

He now suffers lots of pain from the wrist injury especally when he is working and his ballet company is conserned about the safety when he does lifts.

If he sues what should he get?

Hypothetical...since the company paid him for the rest of the season no compensation is due there...the medical bills should be paid ...and minimal pain and suffering on a moderate injury say $5000.00-15000.00..then consideration for the lost summer wages pro rated...imho...as for the 'experts' stating it would shorten his career by five years...well thats a guess at best...so I would speculate the jury would not make an award on that!

The Dancer breaks his right hand and must have surgery. The Medical bills are just over $7000.
(he should get reimbursed the medical, including any travel costs there, and also get what medical costs he may have in the future involved with his injury.)

He could not perform the remainder of the season but was paid by his company anyway.

(He should get this money for his wages or rather he should get this money to go to his company for paying him while not working, they should not have had to do this for him when it was the drunk driver's fault)

He makes about $45,000 a year and the experts are saying this injury will shorten his career about 5 years.

An actuary needs to calculate the cost of living increases he would have gotten each year and estimate what his salary would be at towards the END of his career, and he should get the higher amount of what his salary would be at towards the end of his career times 5.

The dude was also fired from a summer job he had because he could not perform the steps necessary to complete the job, that would have paid him $15000.

He should get reimbirsed the 15k, and if he could prove that he regulary works this kind of part time job then this income should also be included in the lost income that will be cut 5 years short..

This needs further investigation...Can he, or can he not make the lifts he used to do? Is his career cut short 5 years or IS HIS CAREER OVER? one needs to know this for some of the things you brought up above....imo.

His pain and suffering is greater than most people that break their wrists because his job involves the "lifting" of another ballet dancer that you mentioned, so daily, he could be going through this pain from the break...suffering because he may not become the famed ballet dancer that he had always dreamed of...yahdeedah :D I don't know how the system calculates such a thing, but whatever it is, it should be fair.

Okee Dokee...

If I ever try such a case, I want care on the jury not buttleborn!

el attorney in training for the ACLU et al...sorry son..but I have served on jury duty and have also been the lead investigator on over 100 cases...never lost one...then again I base my cases on actual results of the investigation no BS aloud...I gave ya the true meaning of what occurred as per your hypothetical case...but then again I never had much respect for ambulance chasers or the ACLU...I rest my case sonny boy! And by the way I had a work related injury and I settled for medical costs over 150.000.00 and a montetary value of $25,000.00 lost 'actual' wages...I am not a greedy sob...no pain and suffering was given and I did not persue...thats life!

el attorney in training for the ACLU et al...sorry son..but I have served on jury duty and have also been the lead investigator on over 100 cases...never lost one...then again I base my cases on actual results of the investigation no BS aloud...I gave ya the true meaning of what occurred as per your hypothetical case...but then again I never had much respect for ambulance chasers or the ACLU...I rest my case sonny boy! And by the way I had a work related injury and I settled for medical costs over 150.000.00 and a montetary value of $25,000.00 lost 'actual' wages...I am not a greedy sob...no pain and suffering was given and I did not persue...thats life!

Well I belive in making people personally take responsability for their actions. ITs the Conservative in me!

Back