What part has Hollywood played in war support?

uscitizen

Villified User
Critic accuses Hollywood of vilifying Arabs
Thu May 1, 2008 10:11am EDT

By Tom Perry

BEIRUT (Reuters) - American films and TV dramas shot since the September 11 attacks have reinforced screen images of Arabs and Muslims as fanatics and villains, ingraining harmful stereotypes, argues an author on the subject.

In his book "Guilty -- Hollywood's Verdict on Arabs after 9/11", Jack Shaheen praises some post-September 11 films for offering a more sympathetic image of Arabs and Muslims, who he argues have been castigated for decades by Hollywood.

But he says that too many have portrayed them in ever darker shades, criticizing films including "The Kingdom" (2007) and "The Four Feathers" (2002) and condemning the creation of a new "Arab-American bogeyman" in TV dramas such as "24".

seems to me to be a valid point ?

Darn my editing, Damo please make my title look like the following.

What part has Hollywood played in war support ?

Thanks sir.

By Tom Perry

BEIRUT (Reuters) - American films and TV dramas shot since the September 11 attacks have reinforced screen images of Arabs and Muslims as fanatics and villains, ingraining harmful stereotypes, argues an author on the subject.

In his book "Guilty -- Hollywood's Verdict on Arabs after 9/11", Jack Shaheen praises some post-September 11 films for offering a more sympathetic image of Arabs and Muslims, who he argues have been castigated for decades by Hollywood.

But he says that too many have portrayed them in ever darker shades, criticizing films including "The Kingdom" (2007) and "The Four Feathers" (2002) and condemning the creation of a new "Arab-American bogeyman" in TV dramas such as "24".

LOL! Hollywood has tried over and over again, with huge loses at the box office to prove the administration misguided. ;) Problem is, the viewers disagreed, with sales.

think about how many films out of hollywood have portrayed arabs in a good light Kathi.

I do think this is a valid point. Whether hollywoods path on this is rright or wrong is a moral decision. I for one do not believe that islamic folks are as protrayed by the vast majority of Hollywood portrayls.

But as long as it sells it is right ?

think about how many films out of hollywood have portrayed arabs in a good light Kathi.

I do think this is a valid point. Whether hollywoods path on this is rright or wrong is a moral decision. I for one do not believe that islamic folks are as protrayed by the vast majority of Hollywood portrayls.

But as long as it sells it is right ?

Actually, I would ask you how Hollywood or any entity was to put Islam in a good light. The problem is in the subject.

Actually, I would ask you how Hollywood or any entity was to put Islam in a good light. The problem is in the subject.

That clearly illustrates the problem. The masses programmed perception of Islam. Just as those of the islamic faith are programmed to hate joos and mericans. Just tools of religion being used for power and control. both sides.

Sad, very sad.

That clearly illustrates the problem. The masses programmed perception of Islam. Just as those of the islamic faith are programmed to hate joos and mericans. Just tools of religion being used for power and control. both sides.

Sad, very sad.
It might not be the 'programmed perception', consider that.

Sad, very sad.

Oh my god.

Well, when people like this can be bred in this country, and proudly display their ignorance and then claim they're not bigots...that's when we know why we're in trouble.

The only hope is that many of them are aging, and are heavy smokers, drinkers or both.

Hopefully once they're dead, we can have one big spring cleaning. God knows the air around them is stank, very stank.

Well, when people like this can be bred in this country, and proudly display their ignorance and then claim they're not bigots...that's when we know why we're in trouble.

The only hope is that many of them are aging, and are heavy smokers, drinkers or both.

Hopefully once they're dead, we can have one big spring cleaning. God knows the air around them is stank, very stank.

Seriously, you are sick. I thought for a long time you were a bright, bigoted person, no longer.

goodness.....I've noticed..since a certain person refuses to speak to a right-winger.. There are quite a few people who have brown noses, who will gladly speak up to a right winger, for the queen who won't speak.......

Way Too Friggin Funny..I've never seen anything like it before...
1lmao.gif

By Tom Perry

That is true. Man, I can't think of a mainstream hollywood movie where arabs and muslims weren't terrorists or villains. Most of the arabs and arab-americans I've known in my life are just like the rest of us, mostly decent, sometimes assholish. I've seen some cool independent films that put a human face on arabs. I saw a palestinian movie a few weeks ago, that was pretty cool.

I think hollywood should make more movies villifying iraq war supporters. I could get on board with that.

Back