when dems rule the house

toby

You will get this........
Alcee Lamar Hastings as chair the House Intelligence Committee. Just what the dems love, a convicted felon, impeached for bribery in charge on the secrets of the nation!

>>In 1989, Hastings was impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives for corruption and perjury. The Democratic-controlled Senate convicted Judge Hastings of accepting a $150,000 bribe in 1981 in exchange for a lenient sentence and committing numerous acts of perjury at his own trial. He became only the sixth Judge in the history of impeachment in the United States to be removed from office by the United States Senate.

Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcee_Hastings

Alcee Lamar Hastings (born September 5, 1936) is a member of the United States House of Representatives representing the 23rd District of Florida (map). He was born in Altamonte Springs, Florida, and was educated at Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee; Howard University in Washington, D.C.; and Florida A&M University.

A Representative since 1993 and a Democrat, Hastings was a lawyer and judge of the circuit court of Broward County, Florida, and United States District Court judge for the Southern District of Florida (1979 to 1989).

After his impeachment and removal from office for corruption and perjury (see below), Hastings was elected to the House of Representatives in 1992. He is a member of the Congressional Black Caucus and was elected President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Coöperation in Europe in July 2004.

If the Democrats were to regain control of the House, as of 2006 Hastings would be next in line, due to his seniority, to chair the House Intelligence Committee.

Well they are going to put a man CONVICTED and IMPEACHED as a judge in charge of a committee responsible for national security. Seems a bit dangerous to me.

Well bush putting clueless idiots in those types of positions has not worked out too well either.
But they "have done a heck of a job" ;)

Bush has nothing to do with who gets congressional positions. Maybe you need a clue as to how goverment works US. LOL

Pretty much US. Which was the topic of my post. If dems win the house this is one of the people you get in the leadership. Did you miss the whole point of the thread?
There are more lame leaders who will be in charge if the dems take the house. I will see if I can get a list for you.

correct me if I am wrong damo...but impeachment is a legislative function...and the terms "conviction" and "felony" are judicial terms. I see nothing that would indicate Judge Hastings was "convicted" of any "felony".

correct me if I am wrong damo...but impeachment is a legislative function...and the terms "conviction" and "felony" are judicial terms. I see nothing that would indicate Judge Hastings was "convicted" of any "felony".
If he is actually removed from office it is a conviction.

Just as with the President, Impeachment is basically an indictment, however if convicted they are removed from office.

Word games Maine, he was impeached for corruption and perjury. Is that okay with you?

Sure it is......as long as he is willing to have a D by his name and hates Bush....he's in. That seems to be the only requirement for a lot of people nowadays. Dangerous, yes, but it's reality.

I thought impeachment was just the process to get an endictment of an elected official and remove someone from office. And not the same as a criminal conviction which must take place in a court of law.
Am I wrong ?

Sure it is......as long as he is willing to have a D by his name and hates Bush....he's in. That seems to be the only requirement for a lot of people nowadays. Dangerous, yes, but it's reality.
I do consider it unfortunate and regrettable that this guy will get that position when the dems come to power, however it appears to be a congrssional procedure and not a choice really.

He has been proven he can be bought so put him in charge of national security secrets????? Trust democrats with National Security????

He has been proven he can be bought so put him in charge of national security secrets????? Trust democrats with National Security????

Heck it has been that way for the majority of the last century I believe Toby. and we are still a country in spite of what bush has done.

No US this is a proven impeached judge who will soon be in charge of a congressional panel in charge on intelligence. Is that okay with you?

Back