Where the rubber meets the pavement

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
To me, this is where the rubber meets the road. Where the wheat gets separated from the chaffe. For me, this is almost a make or break issue in deciding which Democratic candidate to support.

This is about economic justice. The Dem party alleges to be the party of the middle class and the little guy. This is supposed to be their bread and butter domestic issue. Their signature issue, as it were. These corporate-written phony "free" trade agreements are, fundamentally, the ultimate symbolic test for who stands with the middle class, and who stands with their K street lobbyist corporate paymasters.

Edwards is right out front on this. Good on him. No more lame NAFTA-style phony free trade agreements. Not without fundamental reforms, to include equitable labor and environmental standards. Criteria which mitigate a race to the bottom, for the lowest wages.

Where are the other Dems? Silent so far. Do they answer to their K street paymasters? Or do they stand with the party of FDR and Truman?

The reason I think this issue is so important, in so many ways, is that it speaks in a fundamental way to what the Dem party is supposed to be about. And if they can't stand for economic justice, what can they stand for?

I've heard it said that you can't have social justice, without having economic justice. In other words, forget about all the social interest groups in the Democratic party - i.e., the pro-choice lobby, the civil rights lobby, the environment lobby. Don't get me wrong. These are all REALLY important issues and constituencies. CRITICAL. I stand shoulder to shoulder with those constituencies.

But, without economic justice for the middle class and working Americans, these social issues go nowhere. They're dead on arrival. Because a working class that is fearful for their jobs and pensions, paranoid of outsourcing, and pessimistic about their economic future, isn't going to give a sh*t about the white spotted owl, or a civil right bill in congress. A electorate fearful about their economic future, is easily exploited on the wedge issues by the fearmongers and the Karl Rovians.

On Saturday, April 21st, 2007, Senator John Edwards will deliver the keynote address at the Michigan Democratic Party’s Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner and will announce his opposition to the South Korea trade deal. The Bush administration is finalizing details of the agreement and is expected to submit it to Congress for approval later this spring...[Edwards said trade deals] “must include strong labor and environmental standards and lift up workers in both countries...Congress should make it clear to the President that it will override any agreement that does not protect American jobs and American interests.”

Big question: Will the other Democratic candidates join Edwards’ call, or will they stay silent in deference to K Street and Wall Street?

http://www.davidsirota.com/

Last edited:
I agree with you on no more NAFTA style agreements without more economic and environmental equality. I will not vote for another who won't speak against them. For different reasons than yours but I agree with you on that. I also will not vote for another who promotes doing quite literally nothing on border and port security...

The upper classes do not yet realize that their riches depend on the working class, if it falls so do they.

I agree with you on no more NAFTA style agreements without more economic and environmental equality. I will not vote for another who won't speak against them. For different reasons than yours but I agree with you on that. I also will not vote for another who promotes doing quite literally nothing on border and port security...

What are your reasons for opposing NAFTA-style "free" trade agreements?

What are your reasons for opposing NAFTA-style "free" trade agreements?
They are not "free" trade agreements. They are actually subsidies for multi-national companies who otherwise could not use cheap labor for certain areas of business. They cheapen the labor market and thus create less "purchasers" which will create a drop in the long-term economy while giving a short-term gain. They are short-view leaders who propose such agreements with such economically unequal "partners". One must really be almost equal if not equal to really have such an "equal" trade...

They are not "free" trade agreements. They are actually subsidies for multi-national companies who otherwise could not use cheap labor for certain areas of business. They cheapen the labor market and thus create less "purchasers" which will create a drop in the long-term economy while giving a short-term gain. They are short-view leaders who propose such agreements with such economically unequal "partners". One must really be almost equal if not equal to really have such an "equal" trade...

They are not "free" trade agreements. They are actually subsidies for multi-national companies who otherwise could not use cheap labor for certain areas of business

I don't know why you thought we'd disagree on the reasons for our opposition to phony NAFTA free trade. I pretty much totally agree with you here.

Back