Who are some of your favorite bass players all-time, in any music genre?

My all-time favorite bass player is John Entwistle, of The Who, to this day THE most powerful bassist I've heard. Followed by Les Claypool, of Primus, and various other groups and ensembles, Stu Hamm, associate of Joe Satriani, he's released at least a couple solo albums where he played LEAD BASS throughout the recordings, Geddy Lee, of Rush, and Chris Squire, of Yes. Honorable Mention - Paul McCartney, the guy who played for a little band from Liverpool, England, The Beatles. You may have heard of them. All kidding aside, Paul IS a fantastic bassist. Listen closely to his playing on songs like "Silly Love Songs", and you'll hear what I mean.

Squire was awesome, Lee very good, Entwhistle made Who great. Jack Bruce is great, John Paul Jones was behind a lot of Zep's best moments. Dusty Hill in ZZ top and this young lady Tal Wilkenfeld is terrific.

I think Paul McCartney needs a mention, who was not really a bass player but rather a guitar player.

And also, I would like to mention Peter Townshend who was not really a bass player either.

But, he produced and played the bass for Thunderclap Newman. You gotta love the bass part in "Something In The Air".

Thunderclap Newman was the jazz pianist's name, Check out Pete's beautiful basslines.....And the guitarist on the 12 string is only like 15 years old.

Ronnie James Dio was also an accomplished bassist.

That said, my favorites are John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Paul McCartney and Geezer Butler.

Back