Who are some of your favorite female singers or musicians, all-time?

My all-time favorite is Linda Ronstadt, what an outstanding voice that woman had! Unfortunately she had to retire from singing due to Parkinson's-like symptoms. Followed by Aretha Franklin, my favorite female classic soul/r&b singer, Memphis Minnie, a legendary blues singer AND guitarist, Joni Mitchell, and Bessie Smith, legendary blues singer. And also k d lang, THIS woman has an amazing voice!

Did you ever see her live?

There was no studio trickery with her, her pipes are solid!

Unfortunately I have never seen her live. Any studio recordings I've heard by her are QUITE impressive. You probably know that she was classically trained in opera before becoming a rock and roller. You can REALLY tell from her powerful vocals.

Unfortunately I have never seen her live. Any studio recordings I've heard by her are QUITE impressive. You probably know that she was classically trained in opera before becoming a rock and roller. You can REALLY tell from her powerful vocals.

And now we have people like Lana Del Rey.....who puts together awesome videos and is a great song writer.....but she can barely sing....it is all studio tricks.

Janice was great. Grace Slick had a great voice. Linda Ronstadt as well. Tina was a great performer.
Patsy Cline was special as was Aretha.
I like Chrissie Hynde of Pretenders and Joan Jett.
And loved the energy of the GoGos.
Sandy Denny had a terrific voice.

She was very popular here in Richmond before breaking nationally. She is talented.

She is the whole package....personality, stage presence, connection with the audience....and she likes the small stage, the intimacy...seeing her in a club before In The Heat Of The Night was likely magnetic.

What I liked was that almost no one got away with telling her no, she was all "Watch me".

I like the girls with spunk!

Janice was great. Grace Slick had a great voice. Linda Ronstadt as well. Tina was a great performer.

Thanks for your reply, CG. I can't believe I forgot about Sandy Denny! SHE would be my #2 favorite, after Linda Ronstadt. Her work with Fairport Convention, as well as her solo work, and work with Fotheringay was just phenomenal. AND of course, the wonderful vocals she added to the Led Zeppelin song, "Battle of Evermore", from their classic Led Zeppelin IV album. She was the ONLY singer outside of the band to ever appear on a Led Zeppelin album.

My all-time favorite is Linda Ronstadt, what an outstanding voice that woman had! Unfortunately she had to retire from singing due to Parkinson's-like symptoms. Followed by Aretha Franklin, my favorite female classic soul/r&b singer, Memphis Minnie, a legendary blues singer AND guitarist, Joni Mitchell, and Bessie Smith, legendary blues singer. And also k d lang, THIS woman has an amazing voice!

Definitely too hard to pick an all-time favorite. I really love Taylor Momsen, Amanda Palmer, Lady Gaga, and Porcelain Black.

590_v9_bb.jpg

I went to see Joan Jett last year (she went on before Styx) and was surprisingly good. In fact (I saw Styx 4 or 5 times and are great live), she was better that night than Styx.
One of my favorite female vocalists is Ann Wilson, followed by Pat Benatar.

Back