Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Constantine the Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belosarus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
My vote goes for Gaius Marius. Marius was not really noted for conqeuring huge new territories as other Roman generals did. But Marius did save Rome from destruction when Italy was invaded by a massive horde of Germanic barbarians (nearly a million of them) at a time when Italy's and Romes manpower reserves were at a historic low due to the huge losses of life of soldiers lead by incompetant aristocratic Roman generals.

Marius mainly gets my votes for three reasons. He saved the Republic from Destruction. He reformed the legions into what became the professional legions of the late Republic and the Empire (Imperium). He got rid of the Maniple as a battle formation and implemented the cohort. He got rid of the triari system, he got rid of a large part of baggage trains and forced soldiers to carry heavier loads resulting in an army that could move faster because it was not slowed down by a baggage train. But his biggest reform was to allow the non-propertied poor to enlist in the legions as a career. All these reforms profesionalized the Roman legions and made them the most efficient and feared military machine of it's eral (and for nearly 500 years after).

Marius was also the mentor of both Sulla, who was his legate and Julius Ceasar who was his nephew. Much of what Ceaser learned about strategy he learned sitting on Marius's lap as a child and adolescent.

Last edited:
Maximus Decimus Meridius
gladiator_l.jpg

do you honestly think everyone here is well versed in roman generals? Or was this thread just an excuse for you to go "look how i know the names of roman generals"

caesar seems pretty important considering he conquered gaul (I think) and made rome into the super power it was at the time.

do you honestly think everyone here is well versed in roman generals? Or was this thread just an excuse for you to go "look how i know the names of roman generals"

caesar seems pretty important considering he conquered gaul (I think) and made rome into the super power it was at the time.

I loved Greek and Roman history in HS, but have to admit that it was so very long ago (my classes, not just the era) that my memory of that topic, as it hasn't been revisited, is extremely weak.

I don't care if everyone is or is not versed on Roman military history you snarky cynic. I thought it would be interesting to discuss. Particularly in a forum title "Anything goes".

I think you mistake who was the greatest Roman general with who was Rome's greatest man (Statesman/Politicians). All the listed were both Generals and Statesman.

For example Marius was IMHO a better general than Caesar by a small margin but Caesar was by far a greater Politician and Statesman than Marius was. On the other hand Augustus was probably Rome's greatest politican/statesman though not much of a military man. No Roman though was as great at both as Caesar was.

Most of Caesar's greatest millitary accomplishments came against the Gauls of modern day France. They were backwards barbarians who could only euphamistically be called civilized. They were, in short, a weak foe. Hell Caesars greatest Military accomplishment wasn't conquering the Gauls. It was civilizing them!

I loved Greek and Roman history in HS, but have to admit that it was so very long ago (my classes, not just the era) that my memory of that topic, as it hasn't been revisited, is extremely weak.

Lots of good reading on Rome. I find the Republican era most interesting.

the show rome is like one of the best ever and now they are going to make a movie out of it it's going to be siiiiiiick

Back