Who will replace Charlie Weiss?

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Charlie is actually a pretty decent coach. If ND sticks with him they should do all right. Having said that, ND fans are the biggest idiots in college football. So It's a safe bet that the Alumni will be working real hard to get rid of Charlie Weiss. So if they do, who will replace him?

My two candidate are Brian Kelly and Jon Gruden.

Brian Kelly is the hottest coaching prospect in college football. He's come up the high school and college ranks and has been succesfull every where he's coached. He's turned Cincinnati into a national program (no mean feat). I'm sure his dance card will be full in the off season.

Jon Gruden on the other hand is a good Catholic boy and graduate from a Jesuit College (University of Dayton) and has a super bowl ring on his finger. He has a reputation as a players coach in the NFL which means he can probably recruit (the major down fall of Pro Coaches who take college jobs).

That would be my short list for the ND head coach job if ND gives Weiss the touchdown Jesus treatment.

Well now that it is official, any guesses as to who will become the new coach of the most overrated college team in College Football history?

Another overpaid loser. They need to losen the academic standards or the next coach falls on the knife like the last 4.

Another overpaid loser. They need to losen the academic standards or the next coach falls on the knife like the last 4.
You don't have to do that to be a winner. Maybe at LSWho or in the SEC which only has two top tier colleges (Florida and Vanderbilt). Notre Dame has talent. They need a coach who can coach at the college level. Weis's failure hurts Gruden's prospect as Gruden doesn't have much college experience.

I think Kelly is the front runner by a long shot but that Mike Stoops at Arizona and Fitzgerald and Northwestern are solid candidates. I can't see Jim Harbaugh taking the job. I think he's waiting for RichRod to get fired. There was a lot of pressure from the Alumni two years ago to hire him over RichRod.

If I was Notre Dame I'd go with Stoops or Fitzgerald. If Fitzgerald can win at Northwestern then think of what he could do at Noter Dame?

You don't have to do that to be a winner. Maybe at LSWho or in the SEC which only has two top tier colleges (Florida and Vanderbilt). Notre Dame has talent. They need a coach who can coach at the college level. Weis's failure hurts Gruden's prospect as Gruden doesn't have much college experience.

I think Kelly is the front runner by a long shot but that Mike Stoops at Arizona and Fitzgerald and Northwestern are solid candidates. I can't see Jim Harbaugh taking the job. I think he's waiting for RichRod to get fired. There was a lot of pressure from the Alumni two years ago to hire him over RichRod.

If I was Notre Dame I'd go with Stoops or Fitzgerald. If Fitzgerald can win at Northwestern then think of what he could do at Noter Dame?

Actually, I agree with you that they don't need to do that to be a winner, and I disagree with your assessment of the SEC. Vandy is a top tier college. Alabama is also a top tier college with some of the best academic talent a college could ask for. We have one of the best engineering schools, the most USA Today Academic All-Americans, and are consistently ranked in the top 50 public universities according to US News & World Report.

Also, the UA raised its academic standards again a couple of years ago, but still manages to field a football team capable of a few wins.

Last edited:
Why don't you guys give a look at Wies, and the previous 3 coaches and tell me thier records against that high school schedule.

Why don't you guys give a look at Wies, and the previous 3 coaches and tell me thier records against that high school schedule.

Hey, I like seeing Notre Dame getting beaten. But I don't think lowered standards are the answer.

Hey, I like seeing Notre Dame getting beaten. But I don't think lowered standards are the answer.

too many top recruits won't meet thier standards. And many of them would do fine if admitted.

They are the most overrated program ever. They didn't deserve what LSU did to them and they haven't recovered. I feel sorry for them.

Actually, I agree with you that they don't need to do that to be a winner, and I disagree with your assessment of the SEC. Vandy is a top tier college. Alabama is also a top tier college with some of the best academic talent a college could ask for. We have one of the best engineering schools, the most USA Today Academic All-Americans, and are consistently ranked in the top 50 public universities according to US News & World Report.

Also, the UA raised its academic standards again a couple of years ago, but still manages to field a football team capable of a few wins.
Not by the Princeton Review ther not nor do they meet the academic criteria for membership in the Association of American Universities. Only Florida and Vanderbilt are rated top tier by the Princeton Review or meet membership requirements for AAU membership and two SEC schools (Ole Miss and Miss St.) are considered tier 3 universities. All the rest of the SEC are tier 2 schools.

The Big 10(11) on other hand all it's member schools are either elite (Northwestern, Wisconsin and Michigan) or tier 1 and all are members of the AAU.

too many top recruits won't meet thier standards. And many of them would do fine if admitted.

They are the most overrated program ever. They didn't deserve what LSU did to them and they haven't recovered. I feel sorry for them.
They've always been an elite school and that's not stopped them in the past. It hasn't stopped Florida in recent years either. Trust me, with their endowment if Harvard wanted the best football team in the country they would have it.

They've always been an elite school and that's not stopped them in the past. It hasn't stopped Florida in recent years either. Trust me, with their endowment if Harvard wanted the best football team in the country they would have it.

When was the last time ND was in the NC hunt?

Try 96 and they're the fifth highest rated school in the SEC.
Only Vanderbilt and Florida are rated in the top 50. All the Big 10 (11) schools are rated higher than Bama. The lowest ranked Big 10(11) schools are Indiana, Mich St and Iowa (tied at 71st place).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings/page+4

The rankings you listed were for ALL colleges. The quote of mine that you used was for public universities. So the comment I posted still stands.

The Big 10(11) on other hand all it's member schools are either elite (Northwestern, Wisconsin and Michigan) or tier 1 and all are members of the AAU.

Odd thing about the AAU, they seem to have missed a few schools that US News & World Report ranked fairly high.

Dartmouth, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, William & Mary, and Georgia Tech are all missing from the membership of AAU.

when you can no longer win championships, you start comparing your schools grades.

LAME!!!
Yes because when you are looking for a job the first question they ask is "When is the last time your alma mater won a National Championship?"

Yes because when you are looking for a job the first question they ask is "When is the last time your alma mater won a National Championship?"
LOL Reminds me of when I went to an OSU vs Purdue game at the Shoe. We were yelling at the Purdue student section "Where gonna kick your ass" and they were shouting back "Were gonna get better jobs!" LOL

Back