Who wrote this SF Short Story?

Thorn

I know that at least two of you are avid SF readers, and I have been and in some respects still am. When I moved some years ago from DC, circumstances prevented me from taking my extensive personal library with me, and that meant the sacrifice (to willing takers!) of my large SF collection.

I enjoy short stories as a particular literary medium; they offer advantages that longer novels or novellas do not have, including the offering of a single concept or idea without a great deal or lengthy plot and character development. I had several excellent anthologies of short stories and have many times deeply regretted their loss. Where possible, I've sought to replace those volumes, but can't always identify the titles, editors, or authors.

One story in particular has stayed with me -- it dealt with the fallacy of absolute equality (the concept that each of us is supposedly equally able in all respects). I can't recall the author's name, but the story itself appeared in a multi-author volume and may have been the first, or nearly the first, story in the book. One feature that I recall was that the main character, a young boy, was considered to have above-average intelligence and therefore was required to wear a headphones that played recorded "white noise" so as to interfere with and therefore equalize his thinking. People who could run fast had to wear weights on their ankles, etc., etc.

I thought that it might have appeared in "Dangerous Visions" or its sequel, but sadly it does not. I should have considered that Ellison's self-conscious arrogance might preclude his including such a story.

Does anyone know anything about this story, or the volume that contains it? I'd love to begin resurrecting my SF collection (I already have a good start with P.K.Dick anthologies and Heinlein, but those are easy to find). Luckily we now have the internet, making locating obscure used books far more possible for those of us who live in the middle of nowhere.

I know that at least two of you are avid SF readers, and I have been and in some respects still am. When I moved some years ago from DC, circumstances prevented me from taking my extensive personal library with me, and that meant the sacrifice (to willing takers!) of my large SF collection.

I enjoy short stories as a particular literary medium; they offer advantages that longer novels or novellas do not have, including the offering of a single concept or idea without a great deal or lengthy plot and character development. I had several excellent anthologies of short stories and have many times deeply regretted their loss. Where possible, I've sought to replace those volumes, but can't always identify the titles, editors, or authors.

One story in particular has stayed with me -- it dealt with the fallacy of absolute equality (the concept that each of us is supposedly equally able in all respects). I can't recall the author's name, but the story itself appeared in a multi-author volume and may have been the first, or nearly the first, story in the book. One feature that I recall was that the main character, a young boy, was considered to have above-average intelligence and therefore was required to wear a headphones that played recorded "white noise" so as to interfere with and therefore equalize his thinking. People who could run fast had to wear weights on their ankles, etc., etc.

I thought that it might have appeared in "Dangerous Visions" or its sequel, but sadly it does not. I should have considered that Ellison's self-conscious arrogance might preclude his including such a story.

Does anyone know anything about this story, or the volume that contains it? I'd love to begin resurrecting my SF collection (I already have a good start with P.K.Dick anthologies and Heinlein, but those are easy to find). Luckily we now have the internet, making locating obscure used books far more possible for those of us who live in the middle of nowhere.
That's a Heinlein, unless my memory's acting up again. I don't recall the title. The weights people were required to wear were called "handicaps" I believe.

That theme was almost an obsession with him. He went to his grave misunderstanding what equality really means. A gallant gentleman by most accounts, if a bit short-tempered. Sad.

LATER EDIT . . .

Hmm. I'm not so sure this is one of R.A.H.'s after all. I'm beginning to remember it more clearly, though I've not read it in 30 years, at least. H. Beam Piper, perhaps?

Last edited:
Heinlein was always ahead of his time... I should have added him to my "personal heroes" list.

Sorry thorn, I don't recall. Perhaps I have never read it as I don't lean towards the short stories much.

That's a Heinlein, unless my memory's acting up again. I don't recall the title. The weights people were required to wear were called "handicaps" I believe.

That theme was almost an obsession with him. He went to his grave misunderstanding what equality really means. A gallant gentleman by most accounts, if a bit short-tempered. Sad.

LATER EDIT . . .

Hmm. I'm not so sure this is one of R.A.H.'s after all. I'm beginning to remember it more clearly, though I've not read it in 30 years, at least. H. Beam Piper, perhaps?

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

I recall the impression that the author of this piece actually was trying to point out the fallacy of the concept absolute equality on all fronts. To me, the best SF, more than any other genre, seems to be particularly suited to the unmasking of human failings as they really are, no frills. Pohl was pretty good at that, too.

It seems to me that Heinlein rarely published his short stories singly in group anthologies; I have "The Past Through Tomorrow", remembering that this was one of the first SF volumes I'd ever bought and loved it. "Rammer" is one of my alltime favorites.

It's going to be next to impossible to find good used SF here in the sticks. That means that I'll have to try to rely on my memory (ever abominable when it comes to names) for the authors of my favorite short stories. Sigh.

Heinlein was always ahead of his time... I should have added him to my "personal heroes" list.
Hmm. Not surprisingly, he's not one of my faves. I enjoyed much of his early work as a boy but lost interest when he started to take himself too seriously -- in my view.

Back