Why 3D Printing Is Overhyped

cancel2 2022

Canceled
k-bigpic.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/why-3d-printing-is-overhyped-i-should-know-i-do-it-fo-508176750

allow me to shoot down the whole article in one sentence...

time improves all technology, this is just the beginning.

disagree, just look at where cellphones were 10 years ago vs. today. Who knows, maybe in the future we'll be able to print carbon nanotubes, or we'll come up with some other type of substance. I think the tech will rapidly improve.

allow me to shoot down the whole article in one sentence...

time improves all technology, this is just the beginning.

If you read the article you would see that it was written by someone who has vast experience of 3D printing.

Everyone's now aware of 3D printing — they’ve read about it in the papers, on blogs or seen it on TV. The mentality now seems to be that, in the future, we'll be able to download our products or make them ourselves with CAD programs, apps and 3D scanners, then just print them out, either at home, or in localised print shops. Which in turn will supposedly decentralize manufacturing, bringing it back to the West. But like the cupcake, Daft Punk’s latest album, or goji berries, 3D printing is severely overhyped — and I should know, because it’s what I do for a living.

All day, every day, I operate machines and speak to both the public and the industries about what their requirements are. In the last two years, I’ve made over 5,000 models and answered over 10,000 emails from major corporations to crackpot inventors, designers to hobbyists. So, I feel that I’ve had a good deal of interaction with all levels of customers, and in turn, their awareness of 3D printing.

If you read the article you would see that it was written by someone who has vast experience of 3D printing.

i did read the whole article, and I still disagree. the assumptions would be right if things stayed exactly the same, but there will be improvements upon improvements. I feel very optimistic about our future and technologies role in it.

In the long run, we are all dead.

Well, duh. That's like saying we breathe oxygen. In Buddhism it is called Impermanence...

None of that changes that technology grows exponentially and in a very short time we'll be buying from the interwebs and printing it at our house rather than waiting for delivery...

Well, duh. That's like saying we breathe oxygen. In Buddhism it is called Impermanence...

None of that changes that technology grows exponentially and in a very short time we'll be buying from the interwebs and printing it at our house rather than waiting for delivery...

You can only print things with polymers, not anything with moving parts and such, and it is not necessarily an efficient way to manufacture even the things that fall into that category.

Back