Why American Eggs Would Be Illegal In A British Supermarket, And Vice Versa

cancel2 2022

Canceled

Believe it or not, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) graded eggs would be illegal if sold the UK, or indeed anywhere in the European Union (EU). It’s all to do with the fact that commercial American eggs are federally required to be washed and sanitized before they reach the consumer. EU egg marketing laws, on the other hand, state that Class A eggs – those found on supermarkets shelves, must not be washed, or cleaned in any way.
“In Europe, the understanding is that this mandate actually encourages good husbandry on farms. It’s in the farmers’ best interests then to produce to cleanest eggs possible, as no one is going to buy their eggs if they’re dirty, ” explained Mark Williams, Chief Executive, British Egg Industry Council in a phone interview.

Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/3/

Believe it or not, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) graded eggs would be illegal if sold the UK, or indeed anywhere in the European Union (EU). It’s all to do with the fact that commercial American eggs are federally required to be washed and sanitized before they reach the consumer. EU egg marketing laws, on the other hand, state that Class A eggs – those found on supermarkets shelves, must not be washed, or cleaned in any way.
“In Europe, the understanding is that this mandate actually encourages good husbandry on farms. It’s in the farmers’ best interests then to produce to cleanest eggs possible, as no one is going to buy their eggs if they’re dirty, ” explained Mark Williams, Chief Executive, British Egg Industry Council in a phone interview.

Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/3/

Banned in Britain thread eh? Hold on.

having grown up on a farm that had chickens I am appalled you would handle an egg that hadn't been washed.....

EU egg marketing laws, on the other hand, state that Class A eggs – those found on supermarkets shelves, must not be washed, or cleaned in any way.

My sister dated a European, on vacation the family asked if she was trying to wash her skin off bathing daily.
Dirty Europeans

What this really shows is that both the EU and the USA have stupid lawmakers making useless laws. Clearly washing the eggs is not all that critical or damaging.

Birds have a cloaca. It is a combination orifice in that it is used both for elimination and for reproduction. In other words, the same hole the eggs come out of is the one they shit from.

Anything coming out of a cloaca needs to be washed before I want it in my refrigerator.

Because Americans wash their eggs, far better than introducing harmfull antibiotics into the food chain.

We Americans also put a lot of antibiotics into our livestock.

I am not defending the UK's practice, but condemning our own practice of using antibiotics and steroids like they were feed corn.

We Americans also put a lot of antibiotics into our livestock.

I am not defending the UK's practice, but condemning our own practice of using antibiotics and steroids like they were feed corn.
In the USA a consumer has the right to choose to buy from suppliers who do not use antibiotics/hormones etc.

In the UK you get no say, no info, just overpriced government controlled food.
The meat section at sainsburys or tescos is a joke.
Nothing cut to order, no quality cuts, all pre packaged!

But I guess the Brits, with their 65% or higher taxation have very little money left to spend on food!

Most recent tax;- bedroom Tax!

In the USA a consumer has the right to choose to buy from suppliers who do not use antibiotics/hormones etc.

In the UK you get no say, no info, just overpriced government controlled food.
The meat section at sainsburys or tescos is a joke.
Nothing cut to order, no quality cuts, all pre packaged!

But I guess the Brits, with their 65% or higher taxation have very little money left to spend on food!

Most recent tax;- bedroom Tax!

I see that you are back. I really don't know where you get your info from, the bedroom tax is not a tax and what the fuck are you on about 65% or higher taxation??

I see that you are back. I really don't know where you get your info from, the bedroom tax is not a tax and what the fuck are you on about 65% or higher taxation??
Next you will be telling us council tax is not a tax, or NI or VAT.
Add up everything you pay to the government, deduct that from your earnings, there you will find your true tax burden.
It will be more than 65%.
You refuse to look at the big picture.

Back