Why are British women called Birds?

Hawkeye10

ButterMilk Man
Contributor
WIFE says that one theory is that women tend to chirp on in such a way that men know that we can ignore everything they say for at least the next five minutes.

WHATSAYU?

WIFE says that one theory is that women tend to chirp on in such a way that men know that we can ignore everything they say for at least the next five minutes.

WHATSAYU?

It's a slang term, like "babe", "chick" or "side piece".

You're welcome brain freeze.

In other words you have no fucking clue but you are going to suck up my time anyways....because you suck.

Feel free to sit your ass down SUCKA!

Oh. Was I wasting "your time". I am so sorry. I see you're busy trying to ruin people's night, I'll let you get back to it.

:)

Here you go, by the way. I'll Google for ya:

"As early as 1300, bird was used for ‘girl’, but this was probably owing to confusion with another similar middle English word, burde, which also meant ‘young woman’. The usage crops up from time to time in later centuries, clearly as an independent metaphorical application, but there does not really seem to be an unbroken chain of occurrences leading up to the sudden explosion in the use of bird for ‘young woman’ in the 20th century.
(www.dictionarycentral.com)"

WHATSAYU?
I watched The Quiet Man tonight and they were handing Sean Thornton sticks to beat his wife Mary Kate. That won't fly today even though Desh needs a spanking.

Oh. Was I wasting "your time". I am so sorry. I see you're busy trying to ruin people's night, I'll let you get back to it.

:)

Here you go, by the way. I'll Google for ya:

"As early as 1300, bird was used for ‘girl’, but this was probably owing to confusion with another similar middle English word, burde, which also meant ‘young woman’. The usage crops up from time to time in later centuries, clearly as an independent metaphorical application, but there does not really seem to be an unbroken chain of occurrences leading up to the sudden explosion in the use of bird for ‘young woman’ in the 20th century.
(www.dictionarycentral.com)"

I am Zen.

"Satisfy the best of the women, and pick the best....and the world is your oyster.....you get what ever you want"
Hawkeye the Wise

I am more than a little bit spoiled, but in my defense I earned it!

TOP! KNOWS!

You know that being "zen" means accepting things the way they are, yet you seem to consider yourself some kind of combatant taking part in some kind of revolution.

Would you please reconcile the discrepancy in your claim versus your rhetoric? I'm studying zen now, so I will know if you are lying.

It's an archaic term, very popular one time but not now. It may well have originated in the Middle Ages but it was revived in Sixties and Seventies. Fairly obvious really, a chick is literally a young chicken or any baby bird. I can't help thinking that the likes of Michael Caine in Alfie popularised it in the media at least.

Last edited:

WHATSAYU?

All you had to do was Google it:

https://english.stackexchange.com/q...-the-origin-of-breng-bird-meaning-young-woman

And for the looser answer:

https://www.englishraven.com/Why-Do-The-English-Call-Girls-Birds/

Bottom line, lots of reasons, from the historical to derogatory, but it pretty much is dated cliche from the last century

Back