Why humans yawn - THINKTANK

Part Multi 313

Verified User
I was watching a YouTube video on things that science can't explain and scientists haven't figured out why humans yawn. Wild primates also yawn. Small mammals yawn. I personally haven't seen birds or reptiles yawn and of course bugs don't yawn. Mammals have larger brains than the other animals so maybe physiology has something to do with it.

I am not a scientist and hold no advanced scientific certification from a trusted source so I am going to just use my best sensibilities and knowledge, with the help of other JPP users, to get to the answer on this scientific mystery.

First, what do we know about what it's like to yawn? Well, most yawns are involuntary but if you can feel a yawn coming on you can hold it off or even not yawn at all, but the urge yawn will press you. Second, for me personally, the urge to yawn happens usually when I am exhausted or tired. When I'm up for 22 hours and feel like I'm going to fall asleep sitting up it always seems like immediately after I yawn I am temporarily relieved from that feeling of "I'm going to fall asleep without knowing it." Third, yawns are contagious. Sort of like mass hysteria or other similar contagious behavior. If someone else yawns in a large group of people chances are that another person will yawn soon. I involuntarily yawned following a yawn of someone else many times. Fourth, I can't remember a yawn that happened while doing something physically demanding, the yawn always seems to happen while sedentary and at rest, while heartrate is slow and breathing is slow. While being very tired and at work I have yawned, so it seems that being very tired is the only exception. But, if you are wide awake with plenty of sleep, being stationary with a low pulse seems to be condusive to a healthy yawn.

Now, using what we know about what a yawn is and how a yawn comes about, can we determine with relative accuracy what a yawn truly is and what your body is doing when you yawn and what a yawn is for?

When I yawn my inner ears plug up and sound is muted. I actually feel there's a small muscle in there squeezing the inner ear. This might be the only time that muscle is used. (I just yawned right now so writing and thinking about why we yawn appears to make us yawn) I actually felt that muscle right now when I yawned pull when I opened my mouth, this muscle seems to be connected to throat and neck muscles. I notice some subtle popping in my ears when they mute while I yawn, indicating a pressure change in the ears. Our ears are directly connected to our brains, so when we yawn this could be a way to temporarily cut off whatever reaches our brains through the ear. (and I'm talking about more than audible sound) Since our brains operate on a hormonally chemical electrical charge and our bodies emit pulses and waves on several frequencies, a yawn might affect how those pulses, waves and frequencies play out or likewise the way outside pulses, waves and frequencies influence our bodies. I am thinking that yawning has a lot to do with these rarely studied pulses, waves and frequencies and because of that interplay between people's frequencies this could somewhat explain why a person might yawn when they hear or see someone else yawn. Sorta like, your body says, "I'm tired and these frequencies are too wet, time to do a reset so I can clear my mind up." And then someone else hears him yawn and their body subconsciously says, "You know what, that's a good idea, I think I'm gonna reset too." When we yawn we also draw in a quick deep breath. Discharges in the air and God knows what else science hasn't discovered lurk in the air we breath. Air can be condusive to electrical charges. (duh, that's why thunder happens) and other atomic and chemical discourse. So, think about this. You are sedentary and low pulsed. Your body is setup for sleep. There's a myriad of pulse and waves and frequencies throughout the air influencing you on a subcconscious level. Your body is like, "Hey, I don't want to fall asleep." So you yawn and suck in a lungful of fresh air, your pulse bumps up a couple beats and you cut off that frequency connection that was unknowingly hypnotizing you. After the yawn you feel a bit sharper and the hypnotism is broken.

That's about all I got for now on the subject of yawns. Feel free to contribute to this thinktank and help solve this scientific mystery.

I've been owned by parrots for 25 years. They yawn too. Sometimes it's a reflexive action that happens when you're petting his head and brush your fingers over his ear hole. But they also yawn when they are sleepy, just like we do. I've seen wild birds yawn as well.

I've been owned by parrots for 25 years. They yawn too. Sometimes it's a reflexive action that happens when you're petting his head and brush your fingers over his ear hole. But they also yawn when they are sleepy, just like we do. I've seen wild birds yawn as well.

So, if your parrot yawns when you touch it's earholes then it could definitely be related to brain activity. (And tiredness of course)

So, if your parrot yawns when you touch it's earholes then it could definitely be related to brain activity. (And tiredness of course)

They yawn when you brush over the ear holes the same reason we yawn (or try to) upon descent in a plane -- to equalize pressure. They also yawn because of tiredness. Typical evening routine: Eat supper. Spend some time grooming feathers. Do a final leg/wing stretch (which is usually accompanied by a high-pitched squeaking sound that I think is air being pushed out of their air sacks; wild birds do the same sound when stretching). Then a wide yawn or two. Then the feathers get ruffled up, and the little head turns to tuck the beak back into the "pillow" between the shoulders. One eye is also available to watch what's going on around, until finally it too closes and it's ZZZZzzz time.

Here's an article about yawning you might like:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-do-we-yawn-and-why-is-it-contagious-3749674/

Well it appears that a lot of research has been done on what yawns are and although there is a lot of data and fun facts, scientists haven't yet reached a formidable conclusion.

Back