Why reclining seats are vanishing from airplanes

signalmankenneth

Verified User
They should get rid of the reclining seats too!

(CNN) — The airplane seat recline button -- so controversial that it inspired an entire micro-industry of devices to stop the passenger in front leaning into your space.

At one point in time all economy class airline seats had built-in recline. Today, there are entire seat models that simply don't have the option.

So what happened to make reclining seats disappear in some places? And is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Just because a passenger can recline their seat, should they?

As with so much in the airline business, it depends on who you ask.

Let's talk about how recline works. At its most basic, there's a mechanism hidden in the structure underneath your seat cushion that contains a pivot, the wires connecting it to the button on your armrest, and a pneumatic canister that returns the seat to an upright position. Seatmakers call this kinematics: the parts that move.

For airlines, this represents a cost, firstly from maintenance: any kind of mechanism is prone to breaking, whether from normal wear and tear or because passengers don't treat airplanes gently.

Secondly, it's a weight cost, because these mechanisms can quickly add up. Most modern and lightweight airplane seats are somewhere between seven and 10 kilograms (15-22 pounds) per passenger today. Any weight that can be saved means reducing the fuel needed to carry it.

And thirdly -- and in some ways most importantly -- it's a disruption cost, because if passengers are fighting with each other over seat reclining etiquette, then flight attendants have to play schoolyard monitor. In some cases, passengers got so disruptive that flights have even diverted for safety.

So, what if seats didn't recline?

In the late 2000s, a new generation of highly engineered super-lightweight seats started to break into the market, and part of what made them super-lightweight was that there was no recline function. Some marketing genius thought of calling them "pre-reclined," fixing the backrest at an angle somewhere between fully upright and slightly reclined.

Initially, they were mostly aimed at low-cost carriers. Usually operating flights of just a few hours, these airlines are famous for cutting all the frills out of their operation.

An early adopter was UK airline Jet2, a European package vacation company, which in 2009 chose a pre-reclined seat from then-upstart seatmaker Acro that revolutionized how airlines think about seats.

Then called Clark, and now called Series 3, Acro's seat was different in several key ways.

The lack of recline was one of them, but another was the innovative way that the seat was sculpted out of the seat pan and backrest into a fixed, concave "bucket" shape.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/reclining-seats-airplanes/index.html

f35137c8c4ac07c3ad0d973ee0121a09.jpg

d8d1c3e778c3acefffae2f09b967f81b.jpg

I was once bounced off a flight to Europe while on board because my seat back was experiencing mechanical problems, and then they lost my luggage

But they don’t need to decline, anyone who gets on an airplane expecting comfort is living in the last century, especially with all the low fair airlines there are today

As long as they recline in First Class, I'm good :)

Seriously though, recline etiquette disappeared twenty years ago. I've seen more than one laptop destroyed because the idiot in front just slammed the seat back. I never reclined without asking when traveling in coach. It's gotten worse. I am now TSA precheck airline club first class only kind of traveler. I hate air travel.

As long as they recline in First Class, I'm good :)

Seriously though, recline etiquette disappeared twenty years ago. I've seen more than one laptop destroyed because the idiot in front just slammed the seat back. I never reclined without asking when traveling in coach. It's gotten worse. I am now TSA precheck airline club first class only kind of traveler. I hate air travel.

The Ugly 'Merican, both physically and mentally, strikes again.

They should get rid of the reclining seats too!

(CNN) — The airplane seat recline button -- so controversial that it inspired an entire micro-industry of devices to stop the passenger in front leaning into your space.

At one point in time all economy class airline seats had built-in recline. Today, there are entire seat models that simply don't have the option.

So what happened to make reclining seats disappear in some places? And is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Just because a passenger can recline their seat, should they?

As with so much in the airline business, it depends on who you ask.

Let's talk about how recline works. At its most basic, there's a mechanism hidden in the structure underneath your seat cushion that contains a pivot, the wires connecting it to the button on your armrest, and a pneumatic canister that returns the seat to an upright position. Seatmakers call this kinematics: the parts that move.

For airlines, this represents a cost, firstly from maintenance: any kind of mechanism is prone to breaking, whether from normal wear and tear or because passengers don't treat airplanes gently.

Secondly, it's a weight cost, because these mechanisms can quickly add up. Most modern and lightweight airplane seats are somewhere between seven and 10 kilograms (15-22 pounds) per passenger today. Any weight that can be saved means reducing the fuel needed to carry it.

And thirdly -- and in some ways most importantly -- it's a disruption cost, because if passengers are fighting with each other over seat reclining etiquette, then flight attendants have to play schoolyard monitor. In some cases, passengers got so disruptive that flights have even diverted for safety.

So, what if seats didn't recline?

In the late 2000s, a new generation of highly engineered super-lightweight seats started to break into the market, and part of what made them super-lightweight was that there was no recline function. Some marketing genius thought of calling them "pre-reclined," fixing the backrest at an angle somewhere between fully upright and slightly reclined.

Initially, they were mostly aimed at low-cost carriers. Usually operating flights of just a few hours, these airlines are famous for cutting all the frills out of their operation.

An early adopter was UK airline Jet2, a European package vacation company, which in 2009 chose a pre-reclined seat from then-upstart seatmaker Acro that revolutionized how airlines think about seats.

Then called Clark, and now called Series 3, Acro's seat was different in several key ways.

The lack of recline was one of them, but another was the innovative way that the seat was sculpted out of the seat pan and backrest into a fixed, concave "bucket" shape.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/reclining-seats-airplanes/index.html

f35137c8c4ac07c3ad0d973ee0121a09.jpg

d8d1c3e778c3acefffae2f09b967f81b.jpg

Because too many Americans are fat assess

I was on an AA DC10 flight from NJ to TX and the hostess brought me a cola, and set it on my lap tray!

A lard-ass, in the seat in front of me, rared back his recliner with brute force like only a careless asshole would, and my cold drink served in a tapered top-heavy little plastic cup, spilled directly onto my crotch.

I was like shocked, freezing crotch and all, and didn't say anything for a while, but what was funny was the guy sitting next to me didn't say anything either, and you could tell he was trying to hold back LOL! That was even funnier than what had just happened to happen to me. He just played it off and kept on reading his paperback like nothing happened, and I tried to do the same thing.

The hostess saw what happened, and she asked me to come back to the bar. She told the bar to serve me whatever I wanted for free, and I ordered a scotch on the rocks!

There I stood looking like I peed my pants, but I hung out at the bar with the hostesses until my pants dried, and they served me a couple of more free drinks.

Later on I returned to my seat, and I noticed that that baldheaded lardo in the seat that spilled my drink, had his overhead light on.

So I tapped on his headrest and asked him rather nicely, "Pardon me, but could you dim that light, the reflection off your head is killing me back here"!

And the plane broke out in laughter! Even that shy guy sitting next to me! Even got a couple of handclaps! I kinda' felt like, "JUSTICE"! :laugh:

Last edited:
Fine with me.

If you were ever in the last row (which never reclined) and had that person REALLY get into your space, you would be too.

Reclining airliner seats have always been a pain in the ass and a bad idea, but that's just the beginning.
There are at least a quarter more seats--maybe a third--than there could comfortable be in a commercial airliner.

They also let people put much too much stuff in the overhead bins.
If you can't wait at the luggage carousel, then stay the fuck home, asshole.
I used to have to fly for work, but frankly, your business means jack shit to me.
Flying is for people going to Vegas. Fuck work.

Some say that they're just trying to make flying more affordable.
Then make it more expensive and more comfortable.
What good is affordable torture?
I've said it before because it's true.
Commercial flying was better sixty years ago than it is now.
I was there.

Back