Why Republicans will never be able to balance the budget

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
ijKXJG.png

Neither side will be able to balance the budget, because neither side is willing to share the sacrifice. Bottom line: we're effed.

If you extend it down to 45%, Republicans support cutting poverty aid, which is between 10 and 15 percent, depending on whether or not you count Medicare. The Democrats pick up Homeland Security and Aid to Farmers, which is about 3%.

Neither side will be able to balance the budget, because neither side is willing to share the sacrifice. Bottom line: we're effed.
You can't blame that on the politicians. That is squarely the fault of the American people. We won't tolerate a tax increase and we'll vote any man, woman or wingnut our of office who tries to cut spending on SS, Medicare/Medicaid and Defense. So what are the politicians supposed to do then?

You can't blame that on the politicians. That is squarely the fault of the American people. We won't tolerate a tax increase and we'll vote any man, woman or wingnut our of office who tries to cut spending on SS, Medicare/Medicaid and Defense. So what are the politicians supposed to do then?

Yeah! Just look at what happened in Wisconsin!

Those poor, downtrodden, misunderstood politicians! When the going got tough, they got going! What else is a respectable liberal politician to do?

exasperated-fisheye.jpg

The GOP can become fiscally solvent when the war between the budget hawks and the neocons ends with the former triumphant. The Dems have never been fiscally conservative, so I don't know what they would have to do...

pubs spend too much time vilifying those less fortunate and the dems spend too much villifying those more fortunate

we need a balance. if you cut all aid to the poor, you have a large segment of society that is unable to put back any money into the economy. if you take too much from the rich, you lose the smaller segment of society that can give money to the poor.

hyperbole no doubt....but essentially, if you cut too much, or tax too much, its a zero sum game. if you allow a few to take all the resources, you end up with a failed state, if you allow the many to get desperate, you end up with a failed state.

The GOP can become fiscally solvent when the war between the budget hawks and the neocons ends with the former triumphant. The Dems have never been fiscally conservative, so I don't know what they would have to do...

some dems are....jerry brown, our beloved mascot, i mean governor, is (so far this term) fiscally conservative

pubs spend too much time vilifying those less fortunate and the dems spend too much villifying those more fortunate

we need a balance. if you cut all aid to the poor, you have a large segment of society that is unable to put back any money into the economy. if you take too much from the rich, you lose the smaller segment of society that can give money to the poor.

hyperbole no doubt....but essentially, if you cut too much, or tax too much, its a zero sum game. if you allow a few to take all the resources, you end up with a failed state, if you allow the many to get desperate, you end up with a failed state.

That's exactly right Yurt.

A seriously fiscally conservative coalition doesn't exist in majority numbers.

A seriously fiscally conservative coalition doesn't exist in majority numbers.
That's because it's political suicide under existing conditions. Tell me how you can balance the budget with out raising taxes and with out cutting spending on defense, SS and medicare/medicaid? Hell even a modest compromise to a small tax increase or small spending cuts in SS and medicare/medicate would mean the end of you election/re-election chances.

this country did fine when the tax rates on the wealthy were much higher.

I bet most Americans would be willing to tax the wealthy at a higher rate.

Somehow this never gets done.

Its because of the way we finance elections.

That's because it's political suicide under existing conditions. Tell me how you can balance the budget with out raising taxes and with out cutting spending on defense, SS and medicare/medicaid? Hell even a modest compromise to a small tax increase or small spending cuts in SS and medicare/medicate would mean the end of you election/re-election chances.

Under current conditions you'd have to eliminate the department of defense and medicare to balance the budget. What people are hoping is that tax revenue will rise when the economy recovers, bringing us back to a situation like we had in the 2000's. But it's not recovering.

It's really not even possible to raise taxes enough to balance the budget right now. You'd need ridiculous rates and you'd need to apply them to more than just the rich.

steps to balance the budget

1) All Budget items return to 2006 levels....

then....

2) Cut the wasteful admin out of Defense and Education... should be about a third of defense and 15-20% of Education.

3) Institute a flat tax with standard deduction, effectively eliminating the current tax code. The flat tax would apply to ALL forms of income: dividends, capital gains, wages, benefits. There would be no corporate tax as we all know corporations are simply collectively owned pieces of paper. Individuals own them... they will be taxed on any money they take out.

4) Re implement Glass Steagall

5) Re install the Uptick Rule.... NOW

6) all Hedge funds subject to SEC governing rules, ALL short selling transactions must be made transparent. ALL trades must be regulated, no more off books transactions for any investment firm.

7) Debt reduction tax: All income over $1mm will be taxed an additional 10% to help pay down the debt.

8) FICO scores WILL BE EXPLAINED.... don't know what I mean.... call any of the big three and ask them to explain precisely what makes the score move... this fucking game they play is bullshit. It is stacked in favor of the creditors and if we actually made them define how it works, consumers could save a lot of extra interest.

9) Get rid of the stupid rule that you have to have a new appraisal on your home for each bank. That is bullshit.

OK... the last two are really related to fixing the budget, but they piss me off, so I added them.

SF has a dynamite post. The only issue I will taker against it is that Defense, admin heavy as it is, has more waste than just admin, and while cutting admin would be great, it's not the full 1/3 he's talking about.

The GOP has no interest in fiscal solvency. Deficit spending is used by the GOP to deny liberals the ability to fund their goals.

Back