Why ‘shrinkflation’ means you are paying the same for less

signalmankenneth

Verified User
I have been noticing this for years now, coffee is a good example?!!

Inflation has raised store prices, but it's not the only way consumers are losing money. Learn how producers hide cost increases with shrinkflation.

Inflation in the US has caused dramatic increases in the prices of food, gas and other consumer products in 2022. While higher prices make for big headlines, there's another way that consumers are losing money -- smaller packaging of their favorite products.

"Shrinkflation," or package downsizing, has been a standard practice in the food industry for decades. Companies reduce items in size or quantity while keeping the same prices.

Consumers are more attuned to cost than package size, which affects their shopping decisions less than price. You might notice when the cost of your cat treats goes up a dollar, but do you notice when the amount of treats shrinks?

Shoppers across the US have recently reported smaller sizes for toilet paper, cookies, chips and other common grocery products. Read on to learn more about shrinkflation and how to track it, including a list of all the products that have downsized recently.

For further reading, learn why inflation continues to rise, how to save money on gas, and 16 ways to save on food, travel and more.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finan...eat-thins-why-are-grocery-products-shrinking/

Shrinkflation-1.jpg

1199192_81_109385_LRPvpWeDZ.jpg

I have been noticing this for years now, coffee is a good example?!!

[FONT=&]Inflation has raised store prices, but it's not the only way consumers are losing money. Learn how producers hide cost increases with shrinkflation.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Inflation in the US has caused dramatic increases in the prices of food, gas and other consumer products in 2022. While higher prices make for big headlines, there's another way that consumers are losing money -- smaller packaging of their favorite products.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]"Shrinkflation," or package downsizing, has been a standard practice in the food industry for decades. Companies reduce items in size or quantity while keeping the same prices.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Consumers are more attuned to cost than package size, which affects their shopping decisions less than price. You might notice when the cost of your cat treats goes up a dollar, but do you notice when the amount of treats shrinks?[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Shoppers across the US have recently reported smaller sizes for toilet paper, cookies, chips and other common grocery products. Read on to learn more about shrinkflation and how to track it, including a list of all the products that have downsized recently.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]For further reading, learn why inflation continues to rise, how to save money on gas, and 16 ways to save on food, travel and more.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finan...eat-thins-why-are-grocery-products-shrinking/
[/FONT]

Shrinkflation-1.jpg

1199192_81_109385_LRPvpWeDZ.jpg

You're paying the same for less because you have agreed to do so. That is the only reason you're paying the same for less.

Notice how saving the planet is everything....up till the point it does not matter at all.

There is now more wasted packaging than ever.

I am increasingly noticing cans of soup chili and beans that either are not all the way full, or else have a lot of watery useless shit on the top.

The is a Big Motherfucking Problem.

For those of you thinking "But Hawkeye, canned soup tends to be shit now, why are you using it" my answer is that making a soup is too much work, I would rather take shit soup and fix it, which I can almost always do.

For those of you thinking "But Hawkeye, canned soup tends to be shit now, why are you using it" my answer is that making a soup is too much work, I would rather take shit soup and fix it, which I can almost always do.
Canned items have a lot of sodium, you can’t fix that.

Canned items have a lot of sodium, you can’t fix that.

You know, I can a lot of vegetables in the summer. The rule of thumb for canning any vegetable or combination of vegetables (like soup) that I can is 1 teaspoon of canning salt per quart or 1/2 teaspoon per pint. I’ve always wondered how that compares to store bought canned soup.

To the OP … this trend is obvious to anyone who buys groceries. Buying coffee is where I first noticed it … and that several years ago. We went from one pound and three pound cans to fractions thereof.

I bought some ties for chain link fence the other day. Here you can see the difference between the old and new one. You can really tell the difference when you use them.

Without getting my bullet scale out I suspect they use about 1/3 less aluminum to make them now.

You know, I can a lot of vegetables in the summer. The rule of thumb for canning any vegetable or combination of vegetables (like soup) that I can is 1 teaspoon of canning salt per quart or 1/2 teaspoon per pint. I’ve always wondered how that compares to store bought canned soup.

To the OP … this trend is obvious to anyone who buys groceries. Buying coffee is where I first noticed it … and that several years ago. We went from one pound and three pound cans to fractions thereof.

I bought some ties for chain link fence the other day. Here you can see the difference between the old and new one. You can really tell the difference when you use them.

Without getting my bullet scale out I suspect they use about 1/3 less aluminum to make them now.

Do we still have tariffs on imported aluminum and steel goods?

I wouldn’t know…but this is a trend that was also present pre Trump. I’m thinking he was the one who imposed the tariff?

Yes, he did. You're right; they've been downsizing products for years now. More money for them, less product for us. Even so, we're blessed in this country to have such an abundance, and to be able to afford it.

Remember those blood peach seeds/pits you gifted to me a few years back? I never could get them to sprout, even with cold stratification. It's probably just as well. As Mr. Owl pointed out, after he got done grouching about "Peaches! Yech!", having fruit trees might attract more bears. He's such a spoilsport. lol

Yes, he did. You're right; they've been downsizing products for years now. More money for them, less product for us. Even so, we're blessed in this country to have such an abundance, and to be able to afford it.

Remember those blood peach seeds/pits you gifted to me a few years back? I never could get them to sprout, even with cold stratification. It's probably just as well. As Mr. Owl pointed out, after he got done grouching about "Peaches! Yech!", having fruit trees might attract more bears. He's such a spoilsport. lol

I’m sorry they didn’t sprout for you. They really are good, hearty growing peaches.

To say we’re blessed in the US is an understatement and many don’t realize just how much. I learn that fact more and more the more I deal with our missionaries in other countries.

DQ Dilly bars ten years ago was the first time I noticed. It had been years since I’d had one! Bigger price, much smaller bar.

I’m sorry they didn’t sprout for you. They really are good, hearty growing peaches.

To say we’re blessed in the US is an understatement and many don’t realize just how much. I learn that fact more and more the more I deal with our missionaries in other countries.

Yep. This slide show was part of the unit on subsistence in my Anthropology course this semester. It is truly eye-opening.

Hungry Planet -- What the World Eats

Back