Windows 8 review: Yes, it's really that bad

cancel2 2022

Canceled
We've been examining and dissecting beta versions of Windows 8 for almost a year. In that time, a few traits have become eminently clear. First and foremost, no matter what you think about Windows 8's design, it's a towering engineering achievement: Microsoft managed to bolt a very capable, modern, touch-friendly interface (I'll stick with calling it Metro for now) onto a stalwart (some would say stodgy) workhorse, coming up with a product that's familiar to more than a billion users, and forward-looking at the same time. That's quite an accomplishment.

But sometimes engineering achievements are appreciated only by the engineers. From the user's standpoint, Windows 8 is a failure -- an awkward mishmash that pulls the user in two directions at once. Users attracted to the new touch-friendly Metro GUI will dislike the old touch-hostile desktop underneath. By the same token, users who rely on the traditional Windows desktop will dislike having to navigate Metro to find settings and apps they intuitively locate in Windows 7. Microsoft has moved the cheese.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/windows-8-review-yes-its-bad-200113

Most touch only devices will probably use RT. Now, there are going to be a few released with x86, but you should've known what you were getting into when you chose to get a version with a desktop that's poorly touch compatible in exchange for backwards compatibility. I will agree that the metro interface is kind of awkward, but really, it's not that bad. For instance, you just load it up, start typing, and it grabs anything you want from the index. Just like Windows 7. And that's still a feature most Linux builds fail to implement years after Windows did so (you might be able to go out of your way to install some third party hack that does something similar, but it will inevitably be shit).

Most touch only devices will probably use RT. Now, there are going to be a few released with x86, but you should've known what you were getting into when you chose to get a version with a desktop that's poorly touch compatible in exchange for backwards compatibility. I will agree that the metro interface is kind of awkward, but really, it's not that bad. For instance, you just load it up, start typing, and it grabs anything you want from the index. Just like Windows 7. And that's still a feature most Linux builds fail to implement years after Windows did so (you might be able to go out of your way to install some third party hack that does something similar, but it will inevitably be shit).

You are blowing out your arse, the KDE Kickoff and Excalibur menus have had that for several years! I have Kubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 12 KDE, so unlike you I am talking from experience. I also have Zorin 6 skinned as Windows 7 and that feature is on that as well.

Last edited:
I'm sure Grind can whip something up. He's good at pointless awards.

I'm thinking, the JPP Hourglass Award, and it goes to two posters in your position. :cool:

You are blowing out your arse, the KDE Kickoff and Excalibur menus have had that for several years! I have Kubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 12 KDE, so unlike you I am talking from experience. I also have Zorin 6 skinned as Windows 7 and that feature is on that as well.

I am fairly certain that they search amongst a list of registered programs, not the entire computer itself. So you can find firefox, but you can't find a music or text file that you may want.

Back