World Chess Championship -shortest decisive game in history(King's Indian Defense)

anatta

100% recycled karma

Game 8: Anand played 17. Qf2!, which trapped Gelfand's queen, resulting in immediate resignation from black.Anand started the game with the same play as in the third game, but Gelfand early deviated by playing 3 ...c5 instead of 3 ...d5, which was seen in the game 3. The game was followed with 4.d5 d6 5.e4 Bg7 6.Ne2 O-O 7.Nec3 Nh5. Gelfand tried to provoke g4 by playing 7 ...Nh5, but Anand did not opt for that line. But after few moves the Black bishop occupied the f5 square and let White the opportunity to play 12.g4 with a fork on the Black's bishop and knight. The game continued with 12 ...Re8+ 13.Kd1 Bxb1 14.Rxb1.[35] Gelfand made a serious error on move 14, overlooking Anand's 17 Qf2, which trapped Gelfand's queen. This idea was also missed by grandmaster commentators Peter Leko and Ian Nepomniachtchi, who preferred Black's position until Anand played 17 Qf2.[36] Gelfand could have saved his queen by sacrificing his knight with 17...Nc6, but his position was still lost.[35]

At only 17 moves, this was the shortest decisive game in World Championship history.[37]

King's Indian Defence, E60

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 c5 4.d5 d6 5.e4 Bg7 6.Ne2 O-O 7.Nec3 Nh5 8.Bg5 Bf6 9.Bxf6 exf6 10.Qd2 f5 11.exf5 Bxf5 12.g4 Re8+ 13.Kd1 Bxb1 14.Rxb1 Qf6 15.gxh5 Qxf3+ 16.Kc2 Qxh1 17.Qf2! 1–0
Black resigns

The World Chess Championship 2012 was a chess match between the defending world champion Viswanathan Anand of India and Boris Gelfand of Israel, winner of the 2011 Candidates Tournament.[2] After sixteen games, including four rapid games, Anand retained his title.] The match, held under the auspices of the World Chess Federation FIDE, took place between 10 and 30 May 2012 in the Engineering Building of the State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia. The prize fund was US$2.55 million.[6]

Anand was the defending champion, having gained the title in 2007 and defended it in 2008 (against Vladimir Kramnik) and in 2010 (against Veselin Topalov). Boris Gelfand became the challenger in 2012 after winning the eight-player 2011 Candidates Tournament. Anand's subsequent victory, therefore, was his third consecutive title defence.

The match conditions called for twelve games to be played with classical time control. If a player scored at least 6½ points, he would be declared the winner and the match ended. By the end of the twelve games, however, the match was tied at 6 points each, so four rapid games were played in order to produce a result. Anand won the rapid-game playoff with a win in the second game and draws in the other three games

"check" it out -fianlly found one with decent audio, and clear description. Took me a long time ti figure this one out - even the GMaster's missed it.
blacks move 14 is flawed, thinks he has a K/R fork. but winds up trapping his Q on a8.

Game 8: Anand played 17. Qf2!, which trapped Gelfand's queen, resulting in immediate resignation from black.Anand started the game with the same play as in the third game, but Gelfand early deviated by playing 3 ...c5 instead of 3 ...d5, which was seen in the game 3. The game was followed with 4.d5 d6 5.e4 Bg7 6.Ne2 O-O 7.Nec3 Nh5. Gelfand tried to provoke g4 by playing 7 ...Nh5, but Anand did not opt for that line. But after few moves the Black bishop occupied the f5 square and let White the opportunity to play 12.g4 with a fork on the Black's bishop and knight. The game continued with 12 ...Re8+ 13.Kd1 Bxb1 14.Rxb1.[35] Gelfand made a serious error on move 14, overlooking Anand's 17 Qf2, which trapped Gelfand's queen. This idea was also missed by grandmaster commentators Peter Leko and Ian Nepomniachtchi, who preferred Black's position until Anand played 17 Qf2.[36] Gelfand could have saved his queen by sacrificing his knight with 17...Nc6, but his position was still lost.[35]

At only 17 moves, this was the shortest decisive game in World Championship history.[37]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 c5 4.d5 d6 5.e4 Bg7 6.Ne2 O-O 7.Nec3 Nh5 8.Bg5 Bf6 9.Bxf6 exf6 10.Qd2 f5 11.exf5 Bxf5 12.g4 Re8+ 13.Kd1 Bxb1 14.Rxb1 Qf6 15.gxh5 Qxf3+ 16.Kc2 Qxh1 17.Qf2! 1–0
Black resigns
Cool! Another chess afficianado. I used to play chess competitively, although at a very low level. I was rated at 1200 by the USCF in the late 80's. Not bad for an amature. Ironic that the only two sports associations I ever belonged to had USCF as their acronym.

Cool! Another chess afficianado. I used to play chess competitively, although at a very low level. I was rated at 1200 by the USCF in the late 80's. Not bad for an amature. Ironic that the only two sports associations I ever belonged to had USCF as their acronym.

not bad at all. I'm up to 1520, but it's online, so not FIDE sanctioned (USCF is Anerican ppart of FIDE). I work weekends when all the tournamnets are held.

You ever wanna run one - we can play online 2 days a move.

What's the "other USCF"?

Black resigns
It looks like you posted the wrong game. However, this was an excelent example of how to develop your end game.

not bad at all. I'm up to 1520, but it's online, so not FIDE sanctioned (USCF is Anerican ppart of FIDE). I work weekends when all the tournamnets are held.

What's the "other USCF"?
I'd have to think about that. These days I'm far, far more into my other USCF membership. :) I gave up chess because though very intellectually stimulating but it began to take up to much of my time with little appreciable benefit and I had to face the harsh reality that though I could learn to play chess positionally and strategically I'd still get my ass whooped on a regular basis by players who not only had those skills but had intuitive talent. What I mean by that is where I could think through my lines 3, 4 or 5 moves ahead, I couldn't visulize the movement of those lines well for more than maybe 1 or 2 moves. That talent is, IMHO, more of an inate talent and can't really be learned or taught if you lack that talent, which I do. Chess is a harsh mistress.

Be that as it may. That was over 20 years ago and I haven't played regularly since then. I'm probably an 800 now and that would probably bring your game down if you played me.

I'd have to think about that. These days I'm far, far more into my other USCF membership. :) I gave up chess because though very intellectually stimulating but it began to take up to much of my time with little appreciable benefit and I had to face the harsh reality that though I could learn to play chess positionally and strategically I'd still get my ass whooped on a regular basis by players who not only had those skills but had intuitive talent. What I mean by that is where I could think through my lines 3, 4 or 5 moves ahead, I couldn't visulize the movement of those lines well for more than maybe 1 or 2 moves. That talent is, IMHO, more of an inate talent and can't really be learned or taught if you lack that talent, which I do. Chess is a harsh mistress.

Be that as it may. That was over 20 years ago and I haven't played regularly since then. I'm probably an 800 now and that would probably bring your game down if you played me.

sure. it's not innate -requires patience to learn -something lacking in the American psyche.If you don't play for awhile, you lose your skills -same as anything sport/intellectual enterprise.
I'm just thrilled to actualy find someone interested in my posts on chess -ony about 1.000.000 Americans even play casually - the rest of the world plays at a much higher rate.

Most of the players I play online are overseas. Glad you enjoyed :)

What's the "other USCF"?
Oh...the other USCF is the United States Cycling Federation. I'm a masters racer now (though I havent race in a few years I still have my license). At one point I was a Category 3 racer. Which is pretty tough. There are 5 categories in USCF racing. The lowest level is Cat 5. If you complete 10 Cat 5 races of 25 miles you automatically become a Cat 4. To become a Cat 3 you have to score at least 20 points in a calender year. Points are based on where you finish in a race (25 miles at Cat 4) and how many cyclist at that level are in the race. In 1997 my training partner and I competed in 10 races in the local Cannondale series. I finished in the top 5 in all 10 races with 1 win and 2 second places (my training partner had 4 wins of which I lead him out on 2 of them). That scored me my 20 points and I was promoted to Cat 3 where I promptly became pack fodder. I didn't have a top 10 finish n any Cat 3 race.

Oh...the other USCF is the United States Cycling Federation. I'm a masters racer now (though I havent race in a few years I still have my license). At one point I was a Category 3 racer. Which is pretty tough. There are 5 categories in USCF racing. The lowest level is Cat 5. If you complete 10 Cat 5 races of 25 miles you automatically become a Cat 4. To become a Cat 3 you have to score at least 20 points in a calender year. Points are based on where you finish in a race (25 miles at Cat 4) and how many cyclist at that level are in the race. In 1997 my training partner and I competed in 10 races in the local Cannondale series. I finished in the top 5 in all 10 races with 1 win and 2 second places (my training partner had 4 wins of which I lead him out on 2 of them). That scored me my 20 points and I was promoted to Cat 3 where I promptly became pack fodder. I didn't have a top 10 finish n any Cat 3 race.
amazing.what you do.....I'm in florida, and there is a cyclyist(sp?) that does "the loop" where my house is on, off a feeder rd from Sea World.

It's a little over a mile - perfectly flat circular track( Florida) for him to use it that way.I've seen hime come around every minute or 1:30 for his times, consistently.

I played on the chess club at my elementary school. The sad thing is that I'm basically as good at chess as I'll ever be, because my poor logical-mathematical skills won't really allow me to progress.

It's surprising that Boris made such big mistakes there, though...

I played on the chess club at my elementary school. The sad thing is that I'm basically as good at chess as I'll ever be, because my poor logical-mathematical skills won't really allow me to progress.

I can't ride DERP DERP's bike. I CAN, but my cardio is limited, i need water aerobics, not pure cardio.
Everyone has talents, maybe artistic, maybe verbal, maybe intuitive -if not step by step logic. It's just a matter of time to find out what one is good at.

amazing.what you do.....I'm in florida, and there is a cyclyist(sp?) that does "the loop" where my house is on, off a feeder rd from Sea World.

It's a little over a mile - perfectly flat circular track( Florida) for him to use it that way.I've seen hime come around every minute or 1:30 for his times, consistently.
Are you sure about that distance or time? That's a 45 mph clip! The top time trialers in the TdF only average about 30 mph on a flat road. Olympic track racers do the Kilo at about 40 mph but those guys are specialized sprinters.

The fastest I ever road was when myself and four other cat 3/4 road 100 miles on a perfectly flat road on the delta region of eastern Arkansas. We went 100 miles from Blytheville to Jonesboro and back in a little over 4 hours in a rotating pace line. Avg speed of 24 mph. We were toast when we finished. On the way back we had a slight tail wind and were hitting speeds of 27 mph.

Actually it's not logical or mathematical skills that make you good at chess. It's visualization and spatial skills combined with analytical thinking and psychology. Much of what your opponent will attempt is anything but logical. If you play chess using just logic and math skills, you'll lose a lot. Knowing your oponent and being able to anticipate their moves (psychology) is very helpful but being able to visualize existing and potential patterns of moves and their outcomes is what makes you a killer chess player.

I can't ride DERP DERP's bike. I CAN, but my cardio is limited, i need water aerobics, not pure cardio.
Everyone has talents, maybe artistic, maybe verbal, maybe intuitive -if not step by step logic. It's just a matter of time to find out what one is good at.
3D is very talented at looking at womens hooters and butchering history! :)

Actually it's not logical or mathematical skills that make you good at chess. It's visualization and spatial skills combined with analytical thinking and psychology. Much of what your opponent will attempt is anything but logical. If you play chess using just logic and math skills, you'll lose a lot. Knowing your oponent and being able to anticipate their moves (psychology) is very helpful but being able to visualize existing and potential patterns of moves and their outcomes is what makes you a killer chess player.

it is visualization and spatial to "see" the board, but you never (good players) try to use "psychology".
In other words -ply the board(position), not your opponent. The best move in a difficult situation, is simply that. Play the board, not the man.

Back