Wow... Some people actually fear elevators because of that one accident?

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
Elevators are one of the safest forms of transportation we use today. One accident happens and now I see shows actually focusing on elevator accidents...

"How save are our elevators?"

Hey stupid TV lady. Pretty darn safe. Imagine just a random car accident with that same lady... Nobody would even know it happened because that crap happens every frickin' day.

Details? Generaly elevators can't crash because of a self applying brake. Did one finaly fail somehow?

LOL, looks like the Dalai Damocles had one too many last night...

Conservatives seem to fear liberals because of OWS, so don't be surprised if a few people fear elevators.

On the other hand, an elevator has been dangerous in at least one case:

Police officials confirmed this morning that a man is being questioned in connection with the death of a Brooklyn woman who was set on fire in an elevator Saturday.
According to police, the suspect walked into Transit District 32 this morning while reeking of gasoline. He has not yet been charged with a crime.

Officials were previously seeking a suspect who sources say sprayed the elevator door with an unknown flammable liquid. When Doris Gillespie, 64, began leaving the elevator, they say the suspect also sprayed her face and body, forcing her to stumble back into the elevator.

They say he then lit a Molotov cocktail and used the flames to set Gillespie on fire.

Sources say he sprayed more liquid, threw the cocktail at Gillespie, and sprayed her
once more before fleeing the scene.

Firefighters discovered Gillespie's body after putting out the flames.

One building resident described the scene.

"I heard some, what sounded like yelling at first, then it stopped,” said the resident. “Two minutes later, I smelled something really acrid, like wires burning or plastic burning. I go check on the elevator and there's smoke pouring out the elevator, so I call 911 and start knocking on doors to get everyone out."

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top...-question-man-in-fatal-brooklyn-elevator-fire

The elevator shot up with the door open, killing one lady. I was up late (another kidney stone, it's hard to sleep when you hurt that much) and I saw two news shows about elevator accidents. Full 30 minutes trying to scare the crap out of people.

Fear sells. Sorry to hear about the stone.

Did you see the story about the thug who burned a lady to death in an elevator?

Fear sells. Sorry to hear about the stone.

Did you see the story about the thug who burned a lady to death in an elevator?

I didn't actually. They covered regular accidents on elevators, not psyhos with flammable liquids. But that is pretty sick. You're trapped in a box and he throws in liquid and a match.

I didn't actually. They covered regular accidents on elevators, not psyhos with flammable liquids. But that is pretty sick. You're trapped in a box and he throws in liquid and a match.

I wonder what the story was...there had to be some kind of motive.

BTW, I had a friend who had lithotriptor treatment. It was no picnic, but he said it was way less pain than passing stones. I suppose you've looked into that?

Elevators look like they should be pretty dangerous, and when they go up or down you often can't help but feel antsy at the thought that they might fail. However, they're actually rather easy to engineer to be safe. It is somewhat odd that we usually don't often feel much safer than cars, which are actually much more dangerous. You get inside of a metal cube and hurtle down the road at 60mph. How could that possibly feel safe?

Elevators look like they should be pretty dangerous, and when they go up or down you often can't help but feel antsy at the thought that they might fail. However, they're actually rather easy to engineer to be safe. It is somewhat odd that we usually don't often feel much safer than cars, which are actually much more dangerous. You get inside of a metal cube and hurtle down the road at 60mph. How could that possibly feel safe?

People have the feeling of control in an automobile. In an elevator, all you can do is push a few buttons (sometimes its fun to push 'em all, just to fuck with people), and then you feel completely at the mercy of the metal box.

Back